Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will be the ATP number #5 at the end of the year?

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sampras made these comments about Dimitrov in January after his Australian Open loss to Rafael Nadull: “If he’s not in the top 10 or maybe even the top five by the end of the year, I’ll be surprised. He believes in himself more, he’s got a great game, "He’s a pretty thin guy and I think he’s working on trying to get some more muscle and get in better shape. He knows it, so he’s working on it. He’s only 22, so he’s got a little time to get a little stronger, a little fitter, but he’s on his way."

His prediction may be confirmed!

I think the main competitor is Tomas Berdych. Both would be in the ATP Tour Finals with the current race standings (Berdych 5th and Dimitrov 6th, only 265 points separating them). Remember, any WTF victory is a 200 point plus in the rankings.

Well, the standings right now:
5 Berdych - 4410 points (1360 points to defend until the end of the year)
9 Dimitrov - 3270 points (485 points to defend until the end of the year)

Both with pretty much the same W-L ratio this year:
Berdych 35-11
Dimitrov 35-10

Assuming Dimitrov is virtually #8 (Delpo is not playing, and he's just right around 100 points ahead, with Washington's points to drop anyway), he'll receive the same kind of draw of Berdych (the draw of a #5-8 seed) in the next 2 masters and possibly in the US Open too.

Will he become a TOP 5 in the end of the year? I think it's possible.

Of course, other players like Murray and Ferrer will be in the hunt. Maybe even Raonic. Neither of them have less points to defend than Dimitrov though (Murray has pretty much the same ammount). Nishikori has less points to defend, I think he's also in the hunt for the top #5 if he somehow manages to mantain his health.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
I still think Milos has the better HC season and finishes ahead of him. I doubt either one of them will do better than Berdych the rest of the year, though.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It seems like it's a three-man race between Berdych, Dimitrov and Murray for that #5 end-of-year ranking. Murray is known for racking up the points post-USO but missed that stretch last year so I give him a slight edge over Dimitrov. Berdych might be able to hold both of them off but this is Tomas so who knows.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It seems like it's a three-man race between Berdych, Dimitrov and Murray for that #5 end-of-year ranking. Murray is known for racking up the points post-USO but missed that stretch last year so I give him a slight edge over Dimitrov. Berdych might be able to hold both of them off but this is Tomas so who knows.
Raonic is also in the mix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts