Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Australian Open 2021 actually happen?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
No. The ATP season will not start in 2021... too many liberty hating megalomaniacal control freaks currently in power on an international level, starting first with the Aussies.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Who knows. One thing Covid-19 has shown us is how skiddish the Aussies are. After all, their best male and female players completely checked out of the 2020 season, due to Coronavirus. Now, an apparently, paranoid government whose not willing to work with it's biggest sporting event of their year.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Who knows. One thing Covid-19 has shown us is how skiddish the Aussies are. After all, their best male and female players completely checked out of the 2020 season, due to Coronavirus. Now, an apparently, paranoid government whose not willing to work with it's biggest sporting event of their year.
I really hope that if it does take place that the rest of us snub the Aussies they way they snub the rest of the world and they get treated to a really awesome James Duckworth v Christopher O'Connell final.

·
9,507 Posts
I really hope that if it does take place that the rest of us snub the Aussies they way they snub the rest of the world and they get treated to a really awesome James Duckworth v Christopher O'Connell final.
Unless the kokk is fit

·
Registered
873 Posts
No reason why it shouldn't. The USO and RG still went ahead and the situation in Australia is nowhere near as bad as it is in those countries.
I think that's why it may not happen. If you're France or the US you've got nothing to lose from holding a tournament, you've already got millions of cases, what difference does it make if you play a tournament? If a few infected people come in, so what? It's a drop in the ocean.

For Australia it's a much bigger question - is it worth bringing in thousands of foreigners (players, coaches, families) to a country which hardly has any cases in order to play a tennis tournament? If I were Australian I'd say hell no, come back next year, or delay the tournament to the spot RG had this year (i.e. after the vaccine) and only let vaccinated people in.

Reactions: educasian

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think that's why it may not happen. If you're France or the US you've got nothing to lose from holding a tournament, you've already got millions of cases, what difference does it make if you play a tournament? If a few infected people come in, so what? It's a drop in the ocean.

For Australia it's a much bigger question - is it worth bringing in thousands of foreigners (players, coaches, families) to a country which hardly has any cases in order to play a tennis tournament? If I were Australian I'd say hell no, come back next year, or delay the tournament to the spot RG had this year (i.e. after the vaccine) and only let vaccinated people in.
Quick way to go back to the days when the stars didn't bother to play the Australian, wasn't worth the trip. And no matter how many non-sports activities the AO provides ie, concerts, petting zoo, carnival, etc. that long trip make it easy to skip.

·
Your visions will happen
49,190 Posts
Hello, I'm Danny Andrews and i'm a leftist radical fascist hell bent on destroying your way of life.

"Staying apart keeps us together" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 🤮🤮🤮(n)
How can he be both a leftist and a fascist?

That's quite the political flexibility

·
Registered
450 Posts
it would suit Nadal if AO gets cancelled that's for sure, but honestly AO most likely goes Ahead but delayed by two weeks not seeing King Nadal would be really bad for every Australian he a lot of fans here.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It seems they are working on using certain hotels as the quarantine hub and players will be allowed to practice while they are there. They were hoping for a decision to be reached today. I don't blame them for taking a while to work it out. They want to make it as safe as possible and ensure no one in the community is exposed to infected people. At the end of the day, if they get this done successfully we will be able to have a slam with the biggest crowds we've had since the pandemic began. I think they are expecting it to start in early February.

EDIT: Oh shit, apparently Craig Tiley has said that the option of cancelling it is still on the table :(

·
|
15,331 Posts
No reason why it shouldn't. The USO and RG still went ahead and the situation in Australia is nowhere near as bad as it is in those countries.
Yeah but Craig Tiley has the brain of an underdeveloped 5-year-old, so the AO may not handle the situation.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts