Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Sampras' case it was a grand slam, the 2002 USO over rival Agassi, he didn't retire right away, but it was his last match played!! I cannot think of another player male or female who retired with a win in their final match/winning that particular event's title...

So my big question is, can Rogie, Rafa, Djokovic, any 1 of them, any 2 of them, or all 3 of them retire having won the last event they played in??

As of right now if all 3 retired Djokovic and Rafa yes (Dubai and Acapulco)...

I just wonder if another player can do the Pete Sampras or not, particularly The Big 3!!

Side Note, I'm not sure if another player male or female will pull off the Rogie or not, which is to be out like 1/2 of a year and then come back and in your first official event win it, and in his case a grand slam, the 2017 AO!!

Your thoughts??

·
justice for all
13,161 Posts
I think Novak has a legit chance to do it.

Last time he played he won Dubai.

Now with the long hiatus it's very likely he'll retire before play resumes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I watched an interview of Djokovic's yesterday, where he said he may play into his 40s. So, it is possible he could win another major at 40 and retire.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think so, because Rogie won't stop at just 20 or even in that case 21, he'll keep on going as long as he's winning, healthy, and enjoying the game!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I cannot think of another player male or female who retired with a win in their final match/winning that particular event's title
Rafter won his final match in the 2001 Davis Cup final. But that was a team event, I don't know if you count that.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I really don’t think these guys care about retiring on top. I think they are highly motivated to squeeze out every last accomplishment possible and wouldn’t risk retiring when the possibility exists they can still when slams, I just think they are too ambitious and single minded to retire this way, regardless of what they say in interviews.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts