Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pick Andy Murray to win his first slam this year at USOPEN when Nadal, Fed, and DJoker all play way off best... Andy is first option for the title....

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
it is only going to happen at a hard court slam.

its anybody`s as to which hard court slam he will end up snatching some day.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Lets hope not.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
I'll just quickly make it three in a row and say he has an awesome chance before the witty haters post.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
That's who I picked to win. But I'm not really sure at all if he can do it. This year, he has a good draw and the field isn't nearly as strong as many years, lots of question marks. So if he's going to do it, you would think this is the year. We'll see.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
And of course I failed to make it three in a row before Ibracadabra posted.

I'd wish death right about now if it wasn't for those rules we have.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I have Andy Murray placing runner up in my prediction. I have Djokovic taking him out in 4 sets.

Now, if Djokovic were to pick up an injury or withdraw from one of the rounds....Andy murray should EASILY take over.
He's in shape, he's been having a great year, he's been attacking a little bit more than last year, he just has to keep his serve % high, and keep attacking.

Nadal hasn't been playing his strong quality at all (unless he has some surprises at store for us).

Federer hasn't been convincing either.

Then there's Mardy Fish who has some tools in his bag to create trouble, but I don't think he's there yet to trouble the big 4. I can see him defeating Federer, but outside of that, I can't see Murray or Djokovic losing to him.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Very doubtful. The chance that not one of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer up their level is pretty small. And even if that is the case, there are plenty of other obstacles for Murray to overcome. If this year has proven anything, it's that he's very, very vulnerable when he's having an off day

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Very doubtful. The chance that not one of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer up their level is pretty small. And even if that is the case, there are plenty of other obstacles for Murray to overcome. If this year has proven anything, it's that he's very, very vulnerable when he's having an off day
Yup, this I agree with.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
i think murray can make the final (i see him easily taking out rafa in the semis), but losing to fed/djoker in final

·
29,637 Posts
4th fave for a reason.

But he can beat Nadal here, he proved it with a perfect performance three years ago and if he can get to the final, then who knows.

Soderling is in the same boat though, on these courts he can also take the Spaniard out and make it to the big showpiece.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I feel inclined to generally agree with this, but let's not forget that Muzza has already managed to reach GS finals a couple of times.
Also, there are a few questions about the 'other' main contenders - Rafa has been rather off lately (though I realize that he might well come up with the goods at the USO, like he's done before at GS's after having had a few mediocre tournaments leading up to those), Djoko is having troubles with his shoulder (how serious those are we have yet to find out), and Fed, besides being obviously in decline, has the guys who recently beat him comfortably on his side of the draw (Tsonga, Berdych).

So Murray might well smell his chances here.
That said, I think this USO is very 'open' indeed, we might even see a Sod-Ferrer final, who knows. :)
If not for the possibility of 'Irene' taking down the entire tournament. :help:

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
4th fave for a reason.

But he can beat Nadal here, he proved it with a perfect performance three years ago and if he can get to the final, then who knows.

Soderling is in the same boat though, on these courts he can also take the Spaniard out and make it to the big showpiece.
Agreed on the Murray part, but Soderling isn't beating Rafa. His movement is nowhere near good enough, and I don't find his hitting that impressive anymore (not even taking into account that he's going to make 50-60 UE's in the match). Even this Rafa will be too solid for Robin over 5 sets.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Agreed on the Murray part, but Soderling isn't beating Rafa. His movement is nowhere near good enough, and I don't find his hitting that impressive anymore (not even taking into account that he's going to make 50-60 UE's in the match). Even this Rafa will be too solid for Robin over 5 sets.
It will all depend on Robin's form.
Before he got that wrist injury, he played fantastically well at Bastad. I daresay that in that particular form, he's capable of beating anyone, and he's shown to be able to beat Rafa before.

I'm not counting on it, though. Not at all. Wrist injuries are serious business... ask DelPotro. Ask Davydenko. :tape:

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Soderling is a none-factor. He shouldn't be mentioned as a threat anywhere. The guy is very poorly inconsistent.

He still has poor footwork so he can easily be exploited by these top players. I don't think he'll even reach Murray.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Murray will never win a Slam IMO! more likely Laura Robson winning the Womans!

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Soderling is a none-factor. He shouldn't be mentioned as a threat anywhere. The guy is very poorly inconsistent.

He still has poor footwork so he can easily be exploited by these top players. I don't think he'll even reach Murray.
Murray will never win a Slam IMO! more likely Laura Robson winning the Womans!
Write off these guys at your own perrill folks. :wavey:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Soderling will bomb out before the QF's. That's just a reality. Shocked wouldn't describe the degree of feeling I would have if he actually made the finals or won here.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts