Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think?

At the moment, it just looks like he does not have the mental aspect. He is 0-8 against Djokovic, but if he can get a kind draw at the US Open and face Novak in the final he will always have a good chance, especially with Novaks record in finals there.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
yes, he will win another.

more detail: Young generation will take another couple of years to be up to standard, Nishikori, Raonic and Diva are mugs, Federer is getting older and one GOAT display today doesn't change that, Nadal is done, even losing to Murray 3 and 2 on clay :)lol:) and Wawrinka is the wrong side of 30. Djokovic won't be in the final of the next 10 slams and even then he will probably beat him at some stage, he did do it twice and is close to his top level again.

would expect one from the next 4 tbh.

This year he is F(losing Djokovic in 4, break up in 3rd), SF(worst surface and losing Djokovic in 5) and SF (Boterer in 3 in one of his best displays post 2011). Give me that at the start of the year and I've had ripped your hand off, this time last year he got routined by diva :)lol:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just dont see it. Unless Fed and Nole retire. :'(

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,453 Posts
Of course. Losing a match to JesusFed today despite playing amazingly doesn't say otherwise. He's got a few years left in him and he's finally back to his best level, or thereabout.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I would be amazed if he doesn't.

US Open coming up.

This is where he reached his first grand slam final and where he won his first.

Just have to keep giving it everything .

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Honestly, I'm beginning to understand the pain that English people feel at every World Cup. They've got a team and a talent pool that should be competing to win, they've got distant memories of old glories, but every single time they come up short for some reason. I just don't know any more. I like to talk about the winner's mentality vis a vis Kyrgios, for example. I think Andy just doesn't have it. At the crucial moment in those sets, Federer went in for the kill, and Murray just had nothing.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
The game is back at the level before the back injury, maybe better imo. Murray has said as much himself.

The big match mentality, however, is far worse, more like 2010/2011. Aus Open final, RG semi, today. Mentally awol all three - different stages of the matches, but same result.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just dont see him winning slams against Novak or Fed anymore. He is losing far too frequently and is 0-12 in his last 12 matches against them. Remember when Murray used to own Federer :( Those were the good days.

·
29,645 Posts
It's not the kind of closed shop it looked when he kept coming short from USO 08-USO 12, so he may well get another one. If Cilic could win a USO beating Nishikori, then you know everyone's got chances.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Honestly, I'm beginning to understand the pain that English people feel at every World Cup. They've got a team and a talent pool that should be competing to win, they've got distant memories of old glories, but every single time they come up short for some reason. I just don't know any more. I like to talk about the winner's mentality vis a vis Kyrgios, for example. I think Andy just doesn't have it. At the crucial moment in those sets, Federer went in for the kill, and Murray just had nothing.
2002 and 2004, yes. Recently no way. Comparing Murray to the England team is insulting, Murray is much better than that.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
It's not the kind of closed shop it looked when he kept coming short from USO 08-USO 12, so he may well get another one. If Cilic could win a USO beating Nishikori, then you know everyone's got chances.
Murray doesn't have the luck of the Cilic and Wawrinkas of the world. It's pretty much guaranteed he will play Djokovic in any future slam finals he makes.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Murrays consistency of reaching the SF means it's almost certain one tournament will come along where Djokovic is out and Federer is playing below this level.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Murray doesn't have the luck of the Cilic and Wawrinkas of the world. It's pretty much guaranteed he will play Djokovic in any future slam finals he makes.

:sad:

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
I'm very confident that he will. He's getting to the latter stages everytime and he'll beat Djokovic again one day. Federer won't be nearly as much of a factor off of grass.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
He's one of the 3 or 4 main favorites at every Slam he plays, so I think he will.

I just dont see him winning slams against Novak or Fed anymore. He is losing far too frequently and is 0-12 in his last 12 matches against them. Remember when Murray used to own Federer :( Those were the good days.
Even if Murray led the H2H 6-2 at some point, Federer has always had the upper hand in Slams/WTF. :yeah:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Doubt it unfortuantly, he just can't beat the big boys when it matters, he's gone back to his pre lendle level of losing to the likes of Djokovic and Federer before he steps out on court. I can tell you what's going to happen at the US Open already, he'll reach the SF or Final and lose to Djokovic in 3 or 4 sets.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
A "yes" from me, still plenty chance for Andy to collect a few. He is on an upward trajectory, bringing a more balanced life perspective and more mature outlook to it this time.

I actually think he may achieve his ambition of a short stint at number one in the next few years. Obviously we can't know for sure how he and Djokovic will react to the tricky late 20's transitional years.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I have Andy as the fave for the USO.

I actually think he may achieve his ambition of a short stint at number one in the next few years.
I think Andy could be world number one and not for a short stint either.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts