Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will A. Zverev ever win a Slam?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yeah, 95% likely anyway. Could easily have done it tonight and he'll have plenty more chances. Big Three won't go on forever.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
I think so, draws like this slam will probably be more common in the next few years and he didn’t underperform by any means in the final, played better than his previous matches and just got tight closing it out, just like Thiem who had much more experience. He already has the stamina and servebotting/rallying combo to win a slam, just needs to stabilize his FH and 2nd serve. He didn’t really deserve to win a slam with the level he showed this tournament, but his time will come.

·
Registered
492 Posts
He's only 23. The big 4 are not going to be around for all that much longer (Murray is almost certainly done, Federer maybe). He'll still be in his prime when they're all gone and he'll have plenty of chances.

·
Your visions will happen
48,653 Posts
Probably but nothing is guaranteed. Could be this is the closest he ever gets, or could be the disappointment he needs to reach the highest pinnacle

Needs to develop a consistent 2nd serve and stop with all the pushing in the rallies, my lord. Maybe these guys would not cramp in a match if they didn't spend 4 hrs either pushing or running around 100km behind baseline

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't think so...i think Nadal and Djokovic will be around for 5 more years and they will be racking up slams for another 3 years perhaps...and then there are people like Medvedev and the younger Canadians and some others waiting and developing their games...so, he could win an odd slam, but...i'm not counting on it...i also think this is going to be Thiem's only slam (maybe he can possibly grab 1 or 2 more) unless Federer retires and Nadal and Djokovic dips sooner than expected

·
Registered
397 Posts
I mean shit, he just served for a slam.

The big 3 will be out of the game in a couple of years.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Not playing your best, but reaching the final and getting to serve for the match.

Nah, he probably won't compete for slams anymore...

Reactions: Monsi

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
After Coria lost to Gaudio at the French Open in 2004 and Nadal in Rome 2005, Coria lost the belief that he could hang with the best and started DFing more and more. Nadal pretty much ended Coria's career, and Zverev's loss here could have a similar effect if he gives into his personal demons. Only time will tell whether Zverev will bounce back from this loss.

·
Registered
16,925 Posts
No, I absolutely expect some more NextGenners to rise to the top in 4-5 years when Rafole will be retired, so Zverev will have no chance with his current mentality.

·
justice for all
15,293 Posts
The potential is obviously there. He just needs to work on his mentality. The pressure got the better of him tonight. But he was so close. Agonisingly. Next time in a slam final he'll be much more composed. I think he will win more than one slam eventually.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts