Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Djokovic as Player Council Chairman and Barty as WTA #1 already said it could be a good idea to postpone or cancell AO in 2020.....

But it would be a huge loss of money for Tennis Australia

Let see what happens....
Tennis Australia better be more concerned about the players’ and others health than money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't see a problem with what Pouille's saying. The media make this out to be the worst thing ever but only 1 player has retired in the men's so far and I don't even know whether that is related to the conditions. I am for prioritizing the players safety but players aren't collapsing on the court left, right and centre. Would be a terrible shame if it was cancelled because of media sensationalism.

This isn't a comment labelling the bush fires as insignificant, I am just suggesting that in the cities if it were that bad it would be more obvious.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Don't see a problem with what Pouille's saying. The media make this out to be the worst thing ever but only 1 player has retired in the men's so far and I don't even know whether that is related to the conditions. I am for prioritizing the players safety but players aren't collapsing on the court left, right and centre. Would be a terrible shame if it was cancelled because of media sensationalism.

This isn't a comment labelling the bush fires as insignificant, I am just suggesting that in the cities if it were that bad it would be more obvious.
Ever ran a 10k in 300+ AQI? The problem with your statement, and Pouille's, is that most of these qualifiers really need the cash, and qualifying for a GS MD is a huge part of their yearly budget. I wouldn't be surprised if some show up just hoping that the other player can't breathe properly before they do.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Im absolutely disgusted by the scenes today, my poor compatriot Dalila :(
If you check WTA site you can many players saying they were feeling bad and even gassed after a few games.
Of course, some poeple are more sensitive than others.

Australian smoke Open. :mad:🤢 Unless some fresh wind comes over and blows this smoke away, we are in for some dramatic days or weeks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Im absolutely disgusted by the scenes today, my poor compatriot Dalila :(
If you check WTA site you can many players saying they were feeling bad and even gassed after a few games.
Of course, some poeple are more sensitive than others.

Australian smoke Open. :mad:🤢 Unless some fresh wind comes over and blows this smoke away, we are in for some dramatic days or weeks.
Actually wind would be worse as it could fire up the flames, extend the fires and blow the debris onto town. Only thing that could help is rain.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Despite leading 6/4 *5/6 ADV-40, Slovenian Dalila Jakupovic had to retire because of repetitive coughing. Her opponent Swiss Voegele said she was feeling bad too.
What a choke!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm shocked there's not more talk about this situation. It's just horrible. I was so excited for AO and it's probably my favorite GS but this is ridiculous! The tournament needs to be postponed or moved if at all feasible. If I were a ballkid or umpire I would certainly refuse to work in those conditions. For lower-ranked players it is indeed harder to withdraw because they rely on this tournament for a chance at good money to help further their career. Doesn't matter so much for higher-ranked rich players. I dunno if they can move the qualifying rounds to indoor courts elsewhere but something has to be done!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Is it actually legal in Australia to work outdoors without protective gear when pollution is at hazardous for health level? Im thinking of ballkids, linespeople, umpires, etc

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
hard to believe that they thought postponing by an hour would solve the problem. i guess wind could help if it blows most of the smoke away from Melbourne but I don't know the prevailing wind patterns in Australia.

what's the forecast like in next days (wind and rain wise)

i hope they make the right decision all around for the good of players, those working or volunteering and the many fans. if that means postponing a week or cancelling entirely then so be it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ever ran a 10k in 300+ AQI? The problem with your statement, and Pouille's, is that most of these qualifiers really need the cash, and qualifying for a GS MD is a huge part of their yearly budget. I wouldn't be surprised if some show up just hoping that the other player can't breathe properly before they do.
Okay my bad, don't wanna sound insensitive. It must be tricky for the players. I am just suggesting that it's tough to gain an understanding of how bad it actually is when a lot of reports are sensationalised. One players experience might be different from another. At this stage, I still feel it is down to the players whether they want to play or not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay my bad, don't wanna sound insensitive. It must be tricky for the players. I am just suggesting that it's tough to gain an understanding of how bad it actually is when a lot of reports are sensationalised. One players experience might be different from another. At this stage, I still feel it is down to the players whether they want to play or not.
Even if some players don't "feel it" as much as others, it's still very unhealthy for them. Plus, what about the ball kids -- young children with still developing lungs? And what about the spectators who attend because they figure the air pollution is just "sensationalized" and it's no big deal? It's a health hazard without a doubt. It should not be up to the players whether or not they want to play. Either they cancel the tournament outright, or they somehow figure a way to keep it indoors/move it to some other facility. If they are keeping it outside in these awful conditions then at the VERY least make the ball children go home.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
There is nothing stopping Aus. Tennis Authority from holding AO qualifying matches indoors or an alternative location if necessary, and extending the tournament if necessary.
The Show Must Go On.

Grand Slam Rulebook 2020:

GRAND SLAM® TOURNAMENT REGULATIONS
ARTICLE I: GENERAL

D. RAIN AND FORCE MAJEURE
Grand Slam Tournaments may be extended as necessary for completion.

Z. Entry Procedures

3. Singles Qualifying Competition
The Qualifying competition shall be a single elimination tournament. There
shall be no pre-qualifying event, however nothing herein shall prevent a
Grand Slam Tournament from conducting a separate or local event to
determine Wild Cards in the Qualifying competition or Main Draw and
unsuccessful participants in said event are not prohibited from entering the
Qualifying competition if they are otherwise qualified therefore. If the
Qualifying competition is not held at the same site as the Main Draw, the
Grand Slam Tournament will provide suitable facilities and equipment at
such alternate site.

a. Surface
The Qualifying competition will be played on the same surface as the
Main Draw. However, if there are circumstances beyond the control of
the Referee, qualifying matches may be held on a surface different
from that of the main event.
----------------------------------------------------------

Of course, I'm sure they would rather have qualifying played on site outdoors if possible,
but if not, they can go indoors either on site, or elsewhere if necessary.

Respectfully,
masterclass

21 - 40 of 46 Posts