Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Despite leading 6/4 *5/6 ADV-40, Slovenian Dalila Jakupovic had to retire because of repetitive coughing. Her opponent Swiss Voegele said she was feeling bad too.

Dalila Jakupovic Retires from Australian Open Due to Coughing Fit from Wildfires

Open d'Australie : une joueuse abandonne à cause de la qualité de l'air, la colère gronde - Open d'Australie (F)

Match were delayed from 9 am to 10 am because of air quality.

A ball kid felt also dizzy during Kavcic Clarke match.

Tiley answered they gonna start play at 11 am but Air surveys said that Air quality at 3 pm was 350 which is 10 times higher like standard Air quality in a Big city like Paris (which is known to be far from a Green City and often had to forbid half the car circulation).

Players are getting angry on Twitter :

City of Melbourne warned people to stay at home with pets and building workers not to work today.
Horse races were cancelled..

French Newspaper L'Equipe said "in Australia, it is better to be a horse or a dog than a Tennis player"

Steve Darcis commented too

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Djokovic as Player Council Chairman and Barty as WTA #1 already said it could be a good idea to postpone or cancell AO in 2020.....

But it would be a huge loss of money for Tennis Australia

Let see what happens....

·
Registered
795 Posts
I am sure they won't postpone it.They will play under the roof

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Oh dear, you go walk your dog and you'd be reprimanded, probably fined, but if you're a tennis qualie or a ballkid get the fuck out there NOW and cough your lungs out, biatch!

😱😱😱

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Djokovic as Player Council Chairman and Barty as WTA #1 already said it could be a good idea to postpone or cancell AO in 2020.....

But it would be a huge loss of money for Tennis Australia

Let see what happens....
It could lose them money as well because who wants to buy a ground pass to spend a day in that and there is a worksafe risk because if someone employed there suffers the effects then that could lead to an investigation and its a terrible look with more talk abut the smoke than the actually tournament.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It could lose them money as well because who wants to buy a ground pass to spend a day in that and there is a worksafe risk because if someone employed there suffers the effects then that could lead to an investigation and its a terrible look with more talk abut the smoke than the actually tournament.
Are class action allowed in Australia ?

I know it exists in USA but it is forbidden in France.

Because obviously if City of Melbourne asked to stay at home with pets, lots of AO workers or crowd can gather and ask for money.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Qualies and ballkids join koalas as the new endangered by bullfires species. Thank God horses and dogs are protected...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Are class action allowed in Australia ?

I know it exists in USA but it is forbidden in France.

Because obviously if City of Melbourne asked to stay at home with pets, lots of AO workers or crowd can gather and ask for money.
Class actions can be taken but i doubt we would reach that point.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Despite leading 6/4 *5/6 ADV-40, Slovenian Dalila Jakupovic had to retire because of repetitive coughing. Her opponent Swiss Voegele said she was feeling bad too.

Dalila Jakupovic Retires from Australian Open Due to Coughing Fit from Wildfires

Open d'Australie : une joueuse abandonne à cause de la qualité de l'air, la colère gronde - Open d'Australie (F)

Match were delayed from 9 am to 10 am because of air quality.

A ball kid felt also dizzy during Kavcic Clarke match.

Tiley answered they gonna start play at 11 am but Air surveys said that Air quality at 3 pm was 350 which is 10 times higher like standard Air quality in a Big city like Paris (which is known to be far from a Green City and often had to forbid half the car circulation).

Players are getting angry on Twitter :

City of Melbourne warned people to stay at home with pets and building workers not to work today.
Horse races were cancelled..

French Newspaper L'Equipe said "in Australia, it is better to be a horse or a dog than a Tennis player"

Steve Darcis commented too

I am struggling to understand how with the advance warning the event organisers have had of poor air quality forecast proper protocol has not been put in place to avoid this situation already?

I run a school in China for students from 3-18 years old. There are good days and bad in terms of AQI. But we have protocol in place for complete lockdown of the school (no students allowed out at break times, etc.) if the AQI is 200 or above. If a school can do that a massive multi-million dollar global sports event sure as hell can.

And we're talking 20-30 mins outdoor 'gentle' play at a time being prohibited here. It is absolute madness to have people doing heavy physical outdoor exertion for 2-3 hours with an AQI over 200. The tennis players are going to get ill.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Smokovic needs this Slam badly, otherwise Fedal stay well clear of the Smjoker.
I am afraid you are wrong mate...

Federer needs this Slam badly because it is probably with Wimbledon 2020, the last 2 opportunities he has to prevent Nadal to overpass him.

Djokovic already said he is ok with postponing AO and is more worried about Players' Health.

If Federer managed to win Slams here and there post 33yo with Nadal and Djokovic around I am pretty sure Nadal and Djokovic (who are both working hard to have a more aggressive game to cope with aging) would probably be able to wins Slam here and there in the Next 5 years.

After all, apart overhype, Medvedev Tsitsipas or Shapovalov being the next Nadal and Djokovic is not written in stone...

We have seen many GOAT to be in the latest years : Dimitrov Kyrgios or Zverev and road to GOATdom is definitely not easy.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts