Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
With all the rules-based Wild Cards -Kalamazoo champ Kypson, WC Challenge - Paul, NCAA Champ Kwiatkowski + 2 WC for French and Australian players, there are just 3 discretionary WC remaining.

I'd say Fritz and Opelka are extremely likely to get one and the third has to go to one of, in order of likelihood, Kozlov, Mmoh, McDonald, Christian Harrison, Eubanks, Haas. Shapovalov is also a possibility if USTA is willing to do that kind of thing. They should.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think Shapovalov deserves one too

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Re: U.S. Open Qualifying Entry List (updated August 13, 2017)

Will be interesting to see who the USTA gives the nod to for the remaining 7 qualy wildcards. I think one goes to a WC challenge winner, and after that I would bet Christopher Eubanks is a lock after qualifying in Cincy and playing in Atlanta. I'd assume Rajeev Ram will get one too, as will Sekou Bangoura. After that probably between a mix of Krajicek, Sarmiento, King, Hiltzik, Shane for the remaining three spots.
Ram retired from Singles in Newport:
Two-Time Newport Champion Rajeev Ram To Focus On Doubles | ATP World Tour | Tennis
It'd be very strange, if he got a WC for Singles here.

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts
With all the rules-based Wild Cards -Kalamazoo champ Kypson, WC Challenge - Paul, NCAA Champ Kwiatkowski + 2 WC for French and Australian players, there are just 3 discretionary WC remaining.

I'd say Fritz and Opelka are extremely likely to get one and the third has to go to one of, in order of likelihood, Kozlov, Mmoh, McDonald, Christian Harrison, Eubanks, Haas. Shapovalov is also a possibility if USTA is willing to do that kind of thing. They should.
Opelka is a lock - he's registered to play the Stowe invitational the same week as qualies - and has shown enough this season.

Fritz is interesting given the very poor season he's had - I agree he probably gets in but Donaldson had to play qualies last year so who knows.

You didn't mention Fratangelo - I think there's a good chance he gets the nod, though you're probably right Kozlov is definitely in the conversation.

The Yankees are not giving Denis a WC, particularly with so many young Americans in need of a wildcard. Best he'll get is a Court 17 match assignment during qualies.

·
Administrator
14,817 Posts

Will be interesting to see who the USTA gives the nod to for the remaining 7 qualy wildcards. I think one goes to a WC challenge winner, and after that I would bet Christopher Eubanks is a lock after qualifying in Cincy and playing in Atlanta. I'd assume Rajeev Ram will get one too, as will Sekou Bangoura. After that probably between a mix of Krajicek, Sarmiento, King, Hiltzik, Shane for the remaining three spots.
He got a main draw WC.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Re: U.S. Open Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated August 13, 2017)

Shame on US Open for not giving one to Shapovalov and/or Mayer. Top 70 players shouldn't be playing qualies, and giving a WC to Eubanks & Frantangelo instead of the more deserved players is a joke lol.

I get that Americans are always favored but unless they have some special talent or have been in superb form lately they did not deserve it.

Oh well, hopefully Mayer & Denis prove themselves by qualifying either way and not just getting in the easy way like some of these Americans...

·
Registered
12,617 Posts

Thai-Son has a wildcard into the main draw as NCAA champion

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: U.S. Open Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated August 13, 2017)

For sure. And Felix as last years USO Boys Champion should get a WC.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts