Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Bob Bryan and Lindsay Davenport are getting a mixed doubles wildcard (yes I know it's not important, but it's still kind of fun).

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
What about giving a WC to Frank Dancevic? He made the finals of Eastbourne last year, and has been competitive at Wimbledon before, beating Nalbandian in straights in 08. His ranking probably would have been good enough to get in had it not been for the injury that kept him out for 9 months
no i dont think so there are players that deserve it more

·
MONSOON season.
81,382 Posts
Gabashvili :lol: Cause that's a name that's going to a) attract loads of fans and b) scare anyone in the MD. Granted, he's done well recently, but Dancevic > Gabashvili, surely.

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
Gabashvili :lol: Cause that's a name that's going to a) attract loads of fans and b) scare anyone in the MD. Granted, he's done well recently, but Dancevic > Gabashvili, surely.
no, again not really

why grant a guy who's been out with injury a wild card? hes match rusty and did just lose to dustin brown of all people

its better to let dancevic earn his way into wimbledon through qualifying

i am for giving the young players who have yet to make a slam debut in the main draw the wild cards

players like berankis and krajinovic.

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Wild Card Play-offs

Thursday, June 10
Semifinals
(1) Evans, Daniel d. Pauffley, Neil 4-6 6-1 6-2
(4) Cox, Daniel d. (2) Milton, Joshua 6-7(6) 6-4 6-3

·
Registered
22,401 Posts
if they were to give the Wc to Dancevic then that would give him a chance to defend his points from making the final last year in eastbourne, a chance he won't get if he has to play Wimbledon Qualifying. I don't have anything against giving Gabashvili one but I do think they should give Dancevic one

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
if they were to give the Wc to Dancevic then that would give him a chance to defend his points from making the final last year in eastbourne, a chance he won't get if he has to play Wimbledon Qualifying. I don't have anything against giving Gabashvili one but I do think they should give Dancevic one
so he loses the points, chances are this soon into his comeback he wouldnt have had a shot at defending thim anyway.

anyway, they arent giving out any more wild cards they are just going with the next direct acceptance

now there could be withdraws but frank is alternate # 15 so no matter how you look at it he'll have to qualify

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Dan Evans :rocker:

Gabashvili wc to Md :haha: ......prefer to Dan :sad:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Anything to do with British mens tennis these days pisses me off. Not giving out the other 3 WCs is a pathetic decision imo. They did that last year, and look what happened...they invited Canas of all players into the main draw. It's a good thing that Odesnik has been suspended, otherwise a similar thing could have happened again (would have been ranked around the cut-off).

There are a handful of international players they could have given WCs to. Yes, they might not actually win a match (but would you expect any more from Kunitsyn, Kavcic?), but they would have been more interesting to watch. Certainly Mahut could have been one such choice.

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
yeah they really should have given those other 3 wild cards away, but they probably didnt because they couldnt find any more home talent to give them to. Not that it matters because its not like all of them aside from andy murray wont fall in the first round anyway

·
MONSOON season.
81,382 Posts
no, again not really

why grant a guy who's been out with injury a wild card? hes match rusty and did just lose to dustin brown of all people

its better to let dancevic earn his way into wimbledon through qualifying

i am for giving the young players who have yet to make a slam debut in the main draw the wild cards

players like berankis and krajinovic.
I am not saying Dancevic should be given a WC; I am saying he is more deserving than Gabashvili. Grass is his best surface, he has done well in the UK, has done reasonably well at Wimbledon.

·
MONSOON season.
81,382 Posts
Anything to do with British mens tennis these days pisses me off. Not giving out the other 3 WCs is a pathetic decision imo. They did that last year, and look what happened...they invited Canas of all players into the main draw. It's a good thing that Odesnik has been suspended, otherwise a similar thing could have happened again (would have been ranked around the cut-off).

There are a handful of international players they could have given WCs to. Yes, they might not actually win a match (but would you expect any more from Kunitsyn, Kavcic?), but they would have been more interesting to watch. Certainly Mahut could have been one such choice.
Agreed. And even if they give WCs to British players, there certainly will be a better ambiance at those matches than at any match involving Kavcic or Kunitsyn.

They could have gone with Mahut, Dent, Koubek. Players that are not hopeless on grass and are (reasonably) known to the public. Heck, even good grass court players like Zverev, Mannarino and Reynolds would do. Or Devvarman, who could generate some interest among Indians living in/near London and who did well at RG. According to me, all these choices would be better than having Kavcic and Kunitsyn in.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Or give one to Niland jeez would be payback for those years of occupation :angel:

Like the Yugo countries all give each other wildcards in events.

·
Registered
22,401 Posts
and 2 of the people who were probably deserving of WC's have to play in the first round of Qualies, Dancevic and Mahut:rolleyes:

·
Registered
951 Posts
I dislike the laziness of 'next direct acceptance'.

I don't really mind who gets them - young players, players who've done well in the past, home players, players from countries we're affiliated with, players who've had a good recent run of form. But just opting out and lowering the cut-point by 3 places seems futile.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts