Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from Eurosport:

Wilander: "Drop tennis from Olympics"

Swedish Davis Cup captain Mats Wilander thinks tennis should be dropped as an Olympic event as players' level of interest is too low. "It's a disgrace to the Olympics that tennis doesn't take it more seriously," Wilander told the Swedish Aftonbladet paper on Monday.

"I don't know if I like tennis at the Olympics personally, I have to admit. I think it's wrong to the other sports and I can't say it's wrong that players don't participate."

In Sydney 2000, Russian Yevgeny Kafelnikov won in the absence of players such as Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi and Gustavo Kuerten.

"We already have four Olympics a year," Wilander added, referring to the four Grand Slam tournaments.

The International Olympic Committee will meet in Mexico City in late November to decide how to cut down the number of Olympic participants to a desired 10,500.

Wilander also suggested the alternative of playing Olympic tennis in teams similar to the Davis Cup or the Federation Cup instead of having both singles and doubles draws.

"I like the idea of having tennis as a team event at the Olympics," he said.

"You ski for your country, but I don't think tennis players think that way unless they play in teams. Then they would also prepare for the event as much as a skier or a swimmer does."

Wilander, who won seven singles Grand Slams during his career, skipped the Seoul Olympics in 1988. That year proved to be his most successful as he won the Australian Open, the French Open and the U.S. Open.

supplied by Reuters

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Yeah, that error was gross. Guga was even involved in some battle because of his sponsorship, Diadora, since he was supposed to wear the official clothing for the Brazilian Team, made by Olympikus. He ended wearing Olympikus, and later on he changed it for them definitely.

And about Mats´ suggestion, I hate taking it out of the Olympic Games, but I agree it should be some team sport. It would be more exciting, and it has more to do with the Olympic spirit.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think it should be a team competition, too. The format now makes the Olympics just another tour stop. That's why it's not special.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Andre Agassi won the Olympics once, so its wrong to imply that top players like Agassi dont play :rolleyes:

And i agree it should be a team sport, but separate mens and womens, not mixed. Currently I dont think any of the Olympic sports are mixed.

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
They shouldn't drop tennis from Olympics at all...team or no team.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
It should stay in :)
Sampras and Agassi hardly played Davis Cup and no one suggests that the Davis Cup be scrapped.

a Team Comp would be the best solution but tennis is an individual sport, they don't play as teams in Ice Skating, Swimming etc apart from the obvious (pairs/relays)

·
Registered
74 Posts
If a player can give his all to win a Grand Slam why shouldn't they not be able to do the same thing in the Olympics, after all an Olympic medal is more rare than a grand slam title. Track and field athletes manage to compete as individuals and then come back and compete in relays.

If a team event enables the players to cope with playing in the Olympics, so be it ;).

Does anyone know if the players get paid for Davis Cup appearances?. Is the lack of interest by some (not all players) due to lack of $ for competeing?.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
You don't get Prize Money for Davis Cup but you do get paid from the various National Associations (how much depends on who you are)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
and on how wealthy your country is. most players do demand a kind of appearance fee.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chris Woodward (?) got $100,000 for his Davis Cup appearance in Zimbabwe. I think that is the standard amount for each appearance in a tie for the US team. It depends on the federation. South African players don't even get their expenses covered (a huge debate right now).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Wilander.
Tennis doesn't need the Olympics and the Olympics certainly doesn't need Tennis.
For Athletics, Swimming, Rowing, Shooting etc. etc. the Olympics are The Holy Grail of their sport. Tennis has it's own Holy Grails!
And whilst I know some athletes are highly paid, there's still some of the amateur ethos that Tennis lost years ago.

·
Registered
76 Posts
However, I disagree that tennis should be taken out of Olympics? Despite the fact that some big names don't participate, tehre are still a lot of players who has their heart and soul on the Olympics. As much as I don't like Kafelikov, think he will list his biggest achievement as an Olympic gold, so why denied somebody a chance to flfil a dream in a legitimate sport just because some players cannot be arsed to play there?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts