1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This are punitive damages of course, but even as such they are ridiculous.

Maybe the court is trying to set a precent that would allow families of tobacco cancer victims to strip the tobacco companies of all the profits they've made since the cigarette was invented ;)

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
is this judge nuts? :cuckoo::silly:

the dead man was an adult and knew the consequences of smoking too much, cannot always blame the tobacco company

·
Registered
142 Posts
During the four-week trial, lawyers for Ms Robinson argued that RJ Reynolds was negligent in informing consumers of the dangers of consuming tobacco.
Everyone knows about the consequences of smoking.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
"We hope that this verdict will send a message to RJ Reynolds and other big tobacco companies that will force them to stop putting the lives of innocent people in jeopardy"

I'm outraged. Cig companies should realise that without clear warnings of the dangers, these innocent people cannot comprehend that sucking large quantities of toxic fumes directly into their lungs might end up killing them..

·
RAVE ON
18,515 Posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28389273

it seems as if $23,600,000,000 is a little excessive?

( she only gets $16.8 million )
I think the $16.8M is actually in addition to the $23 billion. What the reports do not make clear is if it was a jury award. As usual, the lawyers on both sides will be happy.

Anyway, I am off to buy a carton of Marlboro. It is the least I can do for my heirs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts