Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very noticeably since I joined this forum the number of female users has been reducing, and not that there were many to start with. Other than Kat and myself (who is actually a non-active poster) these days I don't think there are other active female posters. I'm sure there are also female posters here that don't reveal their sex but I imagine the proportion is small.

It seems more than ten years ago MTF was a predominantly female forum where, for example, users from the following thread said that "I got the impression that all members are girls" and "I just enjoy being surrounded by women here".

According to the following poll from 2004 at one point the number of female users (44) was more than those male users who voted (33). That tells you MTF used to be more balanced in genders.

Seemingly at one point MTF changed for some reason and became a version of what we see nowadays. On Twitter you can see many female tennis fans and the number of it could even be increasing but on MTF there is hardly anyone. One may say most girls are less into the technical side of it (which is true) and social media platforms like Twitter are more suitable for them but out of those many fans there must be some who enjoy discussing it yet it doesn't look like MTF is a place they would go to.

From my personal perspective I'd say 95% of my experience here is pleasant and I do think I enjoy most of my time here. I think I can say that for Kat and Mimi too, so I genuinely wonder why there aren't more female tennis fans here anymore. Perhaps the few ladies and gentlemen of MTF could help shed light on this observation of mine.

Reactions: IBM

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Facebook/twitter/etc..., are more rewarding in terms of attention seeking than a forum.
That's true but not everyone talks about tennis for attention seeking...Some simply enjoy it and I imagine a forum would be a perfect to share your interest.

Reactions: alypen

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'm a female user here, one of the pretty new ones as I joined last summer, and I do understand this tendency, as so many social media platforms are very popular these days and many people use them all the time, so it's kind of logical that the discussion, photo and news clip & video sharing etc. also takes place there.

Twitter, for instance, is a very handy platform to discuss your own opinions and share those of others, media and active & retired pro tennis players included (I think 99% of them have their own Twitter accounts) with high quality photos and videos.

Web forums just aren't that popular or trendy any more, like they used to be, due to the emerge of all the social media platforms that provide a large audience, wide amount of different kind of users, and very useful functions for sharing all sorts of contents with hundreds/thousands of people in a few seconds all the time.

Having said that, I'm truly enjoying this forum and am not planning to quit active participation here (even though I haven't been contributing that much lately due to the off season).

So if you are reading this as a non-user and wondering whether you should join this forum or not, you're more than welcome on board here (at least if you ask me). We do have fun here, don't we? And some very insightlful read on tennis, summaries of most interesting matches, freedom for you to express your own opinions etc.

It doesn't even matter what gender you are to me, but more users/posters usually means more fun and variety. Also, within a bigger bunch of new users there are usually a few real gems included.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a female user here, one of the pretty new ones as I joined last summer, and I do understand this tendency, as so many social media platforms are very popular these days and many people use them all the time, so it's kind of logical that the discussion, photo and news clip & video sharing etc. also takes place there.

Twitter, for instance, is a very handy platform to discuss your own opinions and share those of others, media and active & retired pro tennis players included (I think 99% of them have their own Twitter accounts) with high quality photos and videos.

Web forums just aren't that popular or trendy any more, like they used to be, due to the emerge of all the social media platforms that provide a large audience, wide amount of different kind of users, and very useful functions for sharing all sorts of contents with hundreds/thousands of people in a few seconds all the time.

Having said that, I'm truly enjoying this forum and am not planning to quit active participation here (even though I haven't been contributing that much lately due to the off season).

So if you are reading this as a non-user and wondering whether you should join this forum or not, you're more than welcome on board here (at least if you ask me). We do have fun here, don't we? And some very insightlful read on tennis, summaries of most interesting matches, freedom for you to express your own opinions etc.

It doesn't even matter what gender you are to me, but more users/posters usually means more fun and variety. Also, within a bigger bunch of new users there are usually a few real gems included.
Hey, you have no idea how happy I'm to be reading this. It's my bad not having known you earlier, I haven't been active at all this year until recently. I used to be more active when things in life were a bit different for me but that's another story.

It's very true gender doesn't matter, but it's frustrating to see many great female users, like Redolent and Spectaror75 come and go. There are some other female ones here but they normally don't engage in the discussion. I think it kind of gives an image that we tend to fangirl or seek attention rather than to contribute. (Maybe I'm not in the position to say that as I haven't really posted a lot about tennis this year)

Have you had access to the Ruins yet? There's where things can get a bit nasty and moderation is a bit looser for the sake of fun. However the really hardcore trolls or dodgy users are all banned so nowadays it's quite quiet everywhere. Sadly many great posters I enjoy reading are also no longer active in posting or have moved on and that's a big loss to the forum.

I generally share your sentiments about the forum, however just like everything else, with time you'll also discover the less pretty sides. But all in all the experience is very rewarding for various reasons and not only tennis related, and I also genuinely would also recommend everyone regardless of gender to join us here.

Reactions: Sara X

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yeah, I think it's mainly Twitter has become a place for the hardcore fans. And there tend to be more male "casual sports fans" than female in my experience. Typically females are either a big fan of a specific sport or they more-or-less ignore it ... not watching something just because it's "sports" like men. And they can get more out of Twitter/podcasts these days.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,913 Posts
Forums are pretty garbage, no offence to the one I help run.
Yes, unfortunately females are in shortage here, probably leading to our macho males getting out of control.

We have Kat, Punky, Nathii, mateya. Viva rafa if she returns. Sara X is a nice addition. Roxitova is a woman too.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
I have number of female friends who are big fans of Djokovic, but that is the thing, they are casual fans, even if they register here, they will just post things like ''Ajde Novak'' and nothing substantional at all under the match threads. So be it female or male, we need real tennis fans, not casual player fans..that is the biggest problem of this site, and of many similar sites out there indeed

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forums are pretty garbage, no offence to the one I help run.
Yes, unfortunately females are in shortage here, probably leading to our macho males getting out of control.

We have Kat, Punky, Nathii, mateya. Viva rafa if she returns. Sara X is a nice addition. Roxitova is a woman too.
Not sure what you're talking about. According to Unbiased we have the most gay competition aka the PopCon where niceness is excessive.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,064 Posts
Yolita awol...shes cool

·
Premium Member
20,725 Posts
I have number of female friends who are big fans of Djokovic, but that is the thing, they are casual fans, even if they register here, they will just post things like ''Ajde Novak'' and nothing substantional at all under the match threads. So be it female or male, we need real tennis fans, not casual player fans..that is the biggest problem of this site, and of many similar sites out there indeed
When this forum was busier (say 2007*-2015), people just had tons of fun. Threads didn't have hundreds of posts a day full of intricate mathematical breakdowns of backhand percentages or surface speed comparisons or whatever. People posted simple cheers for wins/lamentations for loss, snarky digs at "mugs" they didn't like, generic comments about "more talented player lost" or "pusher outgrinds talented shotmaker" and so on. It wasn't a freaking Socrates symposium of deep thought around here. :p

* I say "2007" even though I wasn't a member then because... early on when I joined I read through lots of old threads.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
When this forum was busier (say 2007*-2015), people just had tons of fun. Threads didn't have hundreds of posts a day full of intricate mathematical breakdowns of backhand percentages or surface speed comparisons or whatever. People posted simple cheers for wins/lamentations for loss, snarky digs at "mugs" they didn't like, generic comments about "more talented player lost" or "pusher outgrinds talented shotmaker" and so on. It wasn't a freaking Socrates symposium of deep thought around here. :p

* I say "2007" even though I wasn't a member then because... early on when I joined I read through lots of old threads.
Oh I remember those days. It was something else till 2015, was great fun being here. The reason it is not anymore for most of us, is because we got old lol. People got dullier and busier with age. Newly arrived posters also didn't contribute greatly.

As for females, I don't remember anyone explicitly mentioning their gender back in the day or even now, so who knows. But I agree with above posters, I would rather have boring AF walls of texts than Yolita-type Ajde Novak/Vamos Rafa/Allez Roger way of fangirling. Just my take.

·
Premium Member
20,725 Posts
I guess it would be crazy not to blame social media for some of this; obviously it has drawn people away. But for myself, I prefer forums for more elaborate communications. Like this post I'm writing now -- I'd never do a "tweet thread" to say all this (and to whom would I be saying it anyways? I have 25 followers, not all of them care about tennis). Actually I don't tweet much at all, mostly use Twitter to get news/info. To me, it's too general a platform. Why would I bother non-tennis followers with tennis stuff? And why would I bother tennis followers with stuff about basketball or city politics in Toronto? I'm not on FB and Instagram is primarily for images, not words/convos (at least IMHO).

But this forum just went downhill; the fun just went out of it. There isn't just one single reason for that: there's the above-noted influence of social media; unpopular redesigns and password-gate; moderation that was both too strict (got rid of interesting users) and not strict enough (tolerated too much trolling that derailed threads and caused people to lose interest; plus the creation of the RUINS, which was supposed to boost activity but in my opinion did the opposite).

I also believe that there was a period of heavy proliferation of double accounts here. What this does is to make users hesitant to engage with "new users" because you're interacting with someone in good faith and it turns out they're an existing user who has trolled/attacked you in the past & who was pretending to be your new BFF. It causes you to not trust people and engage less with them for fear of getting burned. I used to make a "hey, welcome aboard" post on nearly every single new thread in the Introductions sub-forum. But then after a bunch turned out to be DAs, I just kind of lost my appetite for greeting people who were just pretending to be newbies.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yeah, I think it's mainly Twitter has become a place for the hardcore fans. And there tend to be more male "casual sports fans" than female in my experience. Typically females are either a big fan of a specific sport or they more-or-less ignore it ... not watching something just because it's "sports" like men. And they can get more out of Twitter/podcasts these days.
Actually Twitter is more for casual fans and it's in forums where the most hardcore fans reside since you can have more in-depth discussions without the character limit. Also in Twitter and social media in general you can discuss a lot of things wherein forums people mostly discuss one topic (in this case, tennis).

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,913 Posts
Actually Twitter is more for casual fans and it's in forums where the most hardcore fans reside since you can have more in-depth discussions without the character limit. Also in Twitter and social media in general you can discuss a lot of things wherein forums people mostly discuss one topic (in this case, tennis).
Twitter is very much short quips or reactions. Designed to be personal and bite sized.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That was what I was saying about the forum having a different feel. I had to mention female users because I thought that was the reason for it but probably it was only due to a bunch of eassaybots and analysts deciding to post on here since then.

·
22,285 Posts
Very noticeably since I joined this forum the number of female users has been reducing, and not that there were many to start with. Other than Kat and myself (who is actually a non-active poster) these days I don't think there are other active female posters. I'm sure there are also female posters here that don't reveal their sex but I imagine the proportion is small.

It seems more than ten years ago MTF was a predominantly female forum where, for example, users from the following thread said that "I got the impression that all members are girls" and "I just enjoy being surrounded by women here".

According to the following poll from 2004 at one point the number of female users (44) was more than those male users who voted (33). That tells you MTF used to be more balanced in genders.

Seemingly at one point MTF changed for some reason and became a version of what we see nowadays. On Twitter you can see many female tennis fans and the number of it could even be increasing but on MTF there is hardly anyone. One may say most girls are less into the technical side of it (which is true) and social media platforms like Twitter are more suitable for them but out of those many fans there must be some who enjoy discussing it yet it doesn't look like MTF is a place they would go to.

From my personal perspective I'd say 95% of my experience here is pleasant and I do think I enjoy most of my time here. I think I can say that for Kat and Mimi too, so I genuinely wonder why there aren't more female tennis fans here anymore. Perhaps the few ladies and gentlemen of MTF could help shed light on this observation of mine.
This may be true for ATP specifically but not for tennis as whole in my opinion. A lot of men just watch WTA just to fanboy for looks or whatever too. So I’d say for tennis as a whole, it balances out. But since this is just an ATP forum, this argument is fair I guess. But not something I think affects that much. I think there are 2 other more important reasons.

For me, it’s because first and foremost, sports are mainly watched by men, so as a whole they is just a higher chance of more men posting. Secondly, what the first response you got in this thread I feel is also true, it’s blunt but I think there is a lot of truth to it, with all due to respect. I think women in general crave for more attention than men. That’s not say men don’t crave for attention at all, that’s obviously not true and a lot of men have quit forums and joined social media because of that too.

But I feel that Women are more trendy and are more prone to follow the trends as that gets more attention and there are more people listening to their views. Social media is that trend now, forums were the trend back then. Attention seeking is a bit of blunt way to put it, but I’d say that sums it up. That’s why back then there were more females in forums, because it was trendy. Now it’s not the case.

Social media is more active, which means more people see your posts, higher chances of your opinion to be heard and get more interaction with different people and that’s what women enjoy more. More interaction with different people, that’s also another important factor.

Basically to sum it up, even the women who enjoy the technical side of tennis would prefer to post on social media more just solely because of the fact there their opinion would be heard or seen more there than it would be on a dead forum.

·
22,285 Posts
@Cloren
Your 2d argument holds water. First doesn't really, a few years ago there were more female MTFers than male.
Hmm yeah that’s strange, maybe I can attribute that to men catching to the trend later, in terms of posting in forums. I assume when this forum was its most popular like 2008-2010 there were more men posting in general. Just a wild guess though

1 - 20 of 51 Posts