Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2014-07-04/201407051404560486387.html
Q. How do you feel about your level of play today?

MILOS RAONIC: Probably - well, not probably. I'm quite disappointed with the level I was able to put out. I know I can do much better.
Obviously I wasn't expecting by any means to play my best, but I was expecting much better from myself.
Can someone explain to me why was that obvious and why wouldn't a player not give his best effort in a GS SF? :confused:

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Re: Why was Raonic "obviously was not expecting by any means to play his best"?

It's hard to expect every service point to be an ace.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

He knew when he played someone who got the ball back into play he was done for in a slam.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

The issue was not one of effort, it had everything to do with not dealing with the moment well. A pretty common experience for somebody in their first slam SF. Not much here other than that.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts

because federer wouldnt let him play his best tennis

·
Registered
3,010 Posts

I didn't see anything wrong with his level. He just played 3 bad service games and that was that.

Plus Federer's serve has been pretty much unplayable so far this tournament.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

Just another typically spineless player with zero belief against Fedal it seems.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

Just another typically spineless player with zero belief against Fedal it seems.
It reminded me of a lot of Murray's SF/F subpar slam performances prior to the 2012 USO, yeah.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The issue was not one of effort, it had everything to do with not dealing with the moment well. A pretty common experience for somebody in their first slam SF. Not much here other than that.
I still don't see the obvious part. Not everyone is a big match player, but seeing a player openly admitting he's not one is very weird, and stating that's obvious.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts

It's hard to expect every service point to be an ace.
:spit:

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

Worst comeback ever :lol:
I thought it was appropriate. It wasn't too long ago that Murray couldn't deal with the pressure of the moment against the top guys at slams too and he's a great player. It's a common experience.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

I still don't see the obvious part. Not everyone is a big match player, but seeing a player openly admitting he's not one is very weird, and stating that's obvious.
Yeah, you might just be reading a little too much into a passing comment in a post-match press conference where he was very disappointed and likely a little shell-shocked. Self-confidence is not a problem that Milos has (especially if you read what he was saying before the match).

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2014-07-04/201407051404560486387.html

Can someone explain to me why was that obvious and why wouldn't a player not give his best effort in a GS SF? :confused:
His entire game is about his serve.

Federer took his serve away from him the way he does every big, tall servebot and after that happens, well you're pretty much fucked.

He's a serevbot and cannot act as a servebot against Federer. Therefore he got obliterated.

-5 games handicap at 3.31 easy money.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts

I thought it was appropriate. It wasn't too long ago that Murray couldn't deal with the pressure of the moment against the top guys at slams too and he's a great player. It's a common experience.
:spit: He STILL can't deal with the top players. Djokovic isn't a top player. Fedal are.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
This. Very strange to hear him say that he wasn't expecting to play his best tennis. This just isn't the mindset of a winner and he needs to sort this out. Can't imagine any of the big 4 thought like this before their first GS semi.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

:spit: He STILL can't deal with the top players. Djokovic isn't a top player. Fedal are.
A guy who has been the best player in the world over the last 4 years with 6 slams to his name isn't a "top player" now? Such high standards. :lol:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Most first time semi finalists lose due to inexperience and nerves. Now couple that with the fact you're playing on centre court agsinst the goat on his favorite surface and one of the rare players who can neutralize his biggest weapon and you get the obvious. Sounds like the occasion really played on him mentally before the match.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

Murray won his first major SF, against Nadal no less... and has a positive H2H against Federer. If you're going to go for the 'attack sigged player out of context as a defense' strategy, at least do it right.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

Raonic means no harm in the comment,

all he is saying is that against someone as good as Roger he was expecting that he wouldn't be playing his best- as in Roger's great abilities would cause him to make mistakes or hit the serve worse, or whatever it may be

it's a compliment towards Federer more than anything else. or Raonic just admitting that he knew in such a high stakes atmosphere he would struggle mentally

1 - 20 of 32 Posts