Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can find good video games for football, tennis, basketball and even dull sports like golf, F1, Hockey and American football. I'm not a volleyball follower but I used to cheer for Brazil in some big events mainly because of Giba. The only volleyball player that I will always remember.

GOAT. :worship:

I would probably enjoy playing a good volleyball game more than Top Spin 4. Spiking the ball would be pretty enjoyable. Shame there is no decent volleyball game.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
I believe because it's not a sport with huge popularity in the bigger markets.

I can only think of Poland and Russia (maybe Bulgaria?) as countries where volleyball is either the most popular sport or it's a close 2nd or 3rd. But none of those countries are a great videogame market I guess. :shrug:

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Ah volleyball, reminds me of my primary school days. Use to play it quite often back then. It was fun.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Yes, Serbia too, for sure, Serbians love volleyball.

But it's not a big market too. Big markets are the top 4: USA, Japan, UK and Brazil.

PS Some people think volleyball is very popular here (Brazil), but it's not. Matches are 99% on cable TV and the public is like 5% of the football at most.

Field sports always have more fans and usually are the national sports (football, baseball, american football, rugby, cricket) and they're more marketable sports for games.

Basketball and hockey aren't field sports, but they've very marketable north-american leagues (NBA, NHL).

·
Registered
97,201 Posts
volleyball is big in japan, when japan is playing :) they also have a league with many famous names who are past their prime. i think also reasonably popular in china (though surely not as much as table tennis :p)

but yeah countries where it's big, like middle europe, we're hacker countries, everything will be stolen/hacked and not bought :lol: not to mention here mainly teenage girls are fans of volleyball - for obvious reasons

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
volleyball is big in japan, when japan is playing :) they also have a league with many famous names who are past their prime. i think also reasonably popular in china (though surely not as much as table tennis :p)

but yeah countries where it's big, like middle europe, we're hacker countries, everything will be stolen/hacked and not bought :lol: not to mention here mainly teenage girls are fans of volleyball - for obvious reasons
Most of the world championships/cups (specially female ones) are in Japan I guess, looks like some kinda capital of volleyball. But the public is much like you said: mainly teenage girls screaming for their favorite top players. :lol:

Actually, I think Poland crowd is great. But I only watch volleyball at Olympics and World tournaments (sometimes). No idea about the crowd in national championships.

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts
You can find good video games for football, tennis, basketball and even dull sports like golf, F1, Hockey and American football.
Dull or no they have huge markets, volleyball doesn't get anywhere close to any of the above; even people who are not fans of golf or basketball etc have heard of their top players, while top volleball players are pretty much completely unknown if you're not a big fan.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,199 Posts
I played a beach volleyball game on the old Nintendo (the first one) and it was great fun. :)

Don't remember ever seeing 6-player volleyball videogames, though.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Well, I certainly know some of the good players of Volley of past and present, but I dont know NFL players or (specially) golf players, maybe thats becase I am brazilian and volleyball is probably a respected sport here, although not many watch it, it as popular as basketball and only loses to F-1 and football.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts