Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most Murray fans will agree that his serve was the biggest weakness in his game last year but right from the start of the season it's been more consistent and bigger culminating in the last two weeks where the serve was a massive factor in him winning both clay titles. Can anyone detect reasons why his serving has improved so much?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yeah, the first thing Nishikori said after the SF loss was: "I couldn't handle Andy's serve at all, not even his 2nd serve."

He was ripping his opponents apart with his serve in Munich as well. It appears that his serve is even more effective on clay so far.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
His ball toss was all over the place last year. I can only assume he was protecting his back and now that he is fully fit its no longer an issue.

Hide yo clay trophies samprasray is coming.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
What is most impressive is his second serve seems to have evolved from a club player to a top 500 player

as Bison says, Samprasray will be a joy to watch this Wimbledon, combined with the return game I doubt an opponent will win a set

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
His serve is always been a weapon... but for some bizarre reason he lost his consistency and then his confidence... now it seems all are coming back... hopefully he keep improving so we may witness the peak Murray.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Not quite sure, honestly.

He is placing the ball really well, and seems to have taken some off the first in order to do that better, but this is not the first time we've seen that from him.

His second serve still leaves a lot to be desired, imo. I know the case is anomalous because not everyone will play with the same free-swinging abandonment, but the way Milos thrashed it in the second set of their Madrid meeting tells me it's still in need of repairs.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
In the past he had a great first serve and a rubbish second serve. Then the back problems started and the first serve went AWOL except for a few occasions. Back surgery and a year to recover from it, and not only is his first serve back to a large degree, but also his backhand DTL which disappeared at the same time. Not coincidence, surely.

The second serve? Maybe the Madrid surface and altitude helped there - we will have to see as the season progresses.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
He seems to have rediscovered his most damaging serve - the flat one out wide to the ad court. He used to go for this a lot but it kind of disappeared over the last year or so.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
The second serve has looked decent the last two weeks because he was kicking them deep ......... and yet not-double-faulting. The fact both events were altitude clay was helping, but still, Nadal and Nishikori had a lot of trouble with it.

The first serve is still rarely a pure fastball, he seems to have lost a bit of pace on that since the back surgery, and you hardly ever see the 135mph he used to be capable of. Might be that's deliberate to stop any further back problems - they did have to change the serve motion a little last year, for example.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
The first was always good when he's confident, wrt the second, his kick serve here was a big improvement over his usual sit serve.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Murray =God;

1) Provide statistical evidence of claimed improvements in serve rather than just visual subjective observation.

2) Even if you come with tournament stats, it will be very small sized sample and insufficient to draw firm conclusion. So provide data for significant amount of matches with varying conditions like court surface, speed, altitude, opponents.

If you have data or you're promising me to provide it after some time, I will assume your claim legit otherwise I have treat your improvement claim like Lendlised Murray 2.0 media story.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
His serve is always been a weapon... but for some bizarre reason he lost his consistency and then his confidence... now it seems all are coming back... hopefully he keep improving so we may witness the peak Murray.
This. A number of reports kept mentioning it to him at press confrences at the time of the ATP finals and he said he will look into it. He's obviously practiced. Another tid bit is I listened to the Tennis Podcast ont he way home and a journalist says part of his overall improvements is the fact he had an year or two of back pain and then surgery and a year to recover. This clay season for example the furst time he could put in a 2 week block of training in this part of the season for years. He'd norally need to rest, recover and would end up doing a couple, this year he did 12 days of solid training. That will make the difference. I imagine he's had a lot of serve practice in that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
His ball toss was all over the place last year. I can only assume he was protecting his back and now that he is fully fit its no longer an issue.

Hide yo clay trophies samprasray is coming.

I thought Beardray was going to be my favourite for a while but its only lasted a day. Samprasray! I love it. After all Sampras was ace on clay.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Murray =God;

1) Provide statistical evidence of claimed improvements in serve rather than just visual subjective observation.

2) Even if you come with tournament stats, it will be very small sized sample and insufficient to draw firm conclusion. So provide data for significant amount of matches with varying conditions like court surface, speed, altitude, opponents.

If you have data or you're promising me to provide it after some time, I will assume your claim legit otherwise I have treat your improvement claim like Lendlised Murray 2.0 media story.
This is why you would be a crap coach. Good oaches only need to see with theiir eyes the problem and communicate it to their players. Data is only there to enhace observations, to highlight small nuggets of inform, it is no substitute to knowing what you are doing.

Small samples can actually draw firm conclusions, depending of the clarity of trend in the data and the elimination of other variables. It's fair to say a sevre only ahs one variable, the player. Andy served his second serve at over 80%, that is outstanding and that performance has lasted most of two weeks. Considering Murray had a low 2nd serve percentage regularly there is a firm conclusion that he is serving better. Playing 10 matches with at least 6 service games means we have 60 times to observe an improved serve, that's enough data even by your misunderstood methology to state Andy Murray is certainly serving better now.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
You didn't notice a difference with his forehand under Lendl? Lol, clueless as usual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts