Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Zverev (father), Tsitsipas (mother), Medvedev, Kachanov, Rublev, Shapovalov (mother).

From early ex: Davydenko, Jugny, Kafelnicov, Safin, Kuznetsov, Tursunov.

And future Big 4 ALL!!! Tsitsipas, Zverev, Medvedev, Shapovalov!

Future Big4 will be include only russian players or players who have russian parent)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It's the coaching "school" of a certain land. Same thing like Serbia constantly produces good basketball players, they have good coaching staff regardless of the economy. Brazil gives super talented football players, and they are up to their necks in poverty, criminal and corruption. That is my opinion. Nothing to do with genetics, since I doubt tennis skills are so crucial to survival to be included in DNA xD As for those not playing for Russia, they are talents that worked hard, Zverev was in Germany, where Novak learned his tennis as well, Canada has good resources I beleive too...

·
Registered
337 Posts
A Zverev (father), Tsitsipas (mother), Medvedev, Kachanov, Rublev, Shapovalov (mother).

From early ex: Davydenko, Jugny, Kafelnicov, Safin, Kuznetsov, Tursunov.

And future Big 4 ALL!!! Tsitsipas, Zverev, Medvedev, Shapovalov!

Future Big4 will be include only russian players or players who have russian parent)
The Russian people are very talented, this is a national trait.
And the appearance of a large number of capable young players is due to a strong tennis school since the days of the Soviet Union. That's all.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Well, I could agree on the slavic thingy , athleticism plus right mentality (alll the implications) given only needs a proper policy heading / coaching to get maximum out of a player.

That could be it. Plus putting all that to adjust better to modern tennis.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
some prefer producing 1 player like Federer in a country rather than 10 Wawrinka's.
I think its more producing a Berdych or Raonic, not a Wawrinka.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'll reformulate, I wouldn't say race superiority but clearly they are adjusting better to modern tall athletic baseline tennis. Americans , British, French, Aussies , South americans youngs are all a league below right now.
Well, I could agree on the slavic thingy , athleticism plus right mentality (alll the implications) given only needs a proper policy heading / coaching to get maximum out of a player.

That could be it. Plus putting all that to adjust better to modern tennis.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
But you are just claiming the Slavic superiority in work ethic and motivation, no?
I told about it in general, not that Slavic people are more hard-working...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Height plays a major role here. In today's game tall players dominate more easily. 1.85-2m is mandatory to succeed for a number of reasons. A strong serve, ability to play low balls through more spin that could not be generated with the 90s strings plus the insane work they put on their movement (unheard for people over 1.90m to run around like rabbits chasing balls in the old days). You have to be a Schwartzman or Ferrer kind of beast to survive out there today. The times are not good for short fast grinders to make a living and countries with taller people have a bigger talent pool to pick from.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Let's see how Zverev, Medvedev, etc, perform in the future, but in history, it also needs to be said that while there were many players of Russian origin playing at a very high level, the often failed to win the really big titles. As far as I can see, in the entire Grand Slam history, there were only four wins by players of Russian origin (correct me if I am wrong, of course I don't know all the ancestors of all players...): Two each by Kafelnikow and Safin. Compared to the size of Russia and the number of tennis players there, that's a small number.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts