Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why S & V has died out from tennis & why u now need b more complete to win Wimbledon

With all this in mind, to win Wimbledon as a player with an aggressive 'ethos' is obviously going to be much more difficult than it used to be. All the more establishing atleast 4-5 of Roger Federer's Wimbledon titles won, as being even more of an incredible achievement. (Than many people realise)

Federer not only had (Is having) to deal with the big power hitting being a factor on the grass, but also the excellent baseline movers. As the fact now a days, excellent baseline movers find it a lot more easier and effortless to impart topspin on the ball defending, whilst also staying aggressive (Or neutralising with good depth)

This has made me realise that may be even if Federer loses to Nole in the final this year and never does beat Pete Sampras' record of 7, he will still be the greatest grass-court player of all time, as he has had to deal with the big heavy hitters and the excellent moving baseliners, BOTH in Wimbledon championship he has won. He is definitely the greatest all-around grass-court player of all time, that much is for sure.

Discuss...

(Please keep the fed / rafa tard waring to a very minimum)

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Re: Why S & V has died out from tennis & why u now need b more complete to win Wimble

I'm expecting a lot of comments saying it's because Wimbledon surface is becoming clay, specially on the 2nd week, that MugEnroe say this, that Tim Henman say that, etc... :lol:

Well, IMHO it's because of the improvements on the racquets and on players fitness (specially). It's tougher to S & V with faster players and better racquets/strings.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Re: Why S & V has died out from tennis & why u now need b more complete to win Wimble

even the video shows how Mugpras destroyed tennis

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm expecting a lot of comments saying it's because Wimbledon surface is becoming clay, specially on the 2nd week, that MugEnroe say this, that Tim Henman say that, etc... :lol:

Well, IMHO it's because of the improvements on the racquets and on players fitness (specially). It's tougher to S & V with faster players and better racquets/strings.
Who cares what you're expecting, just discuss your point of view. Otherwise you're encouraging tard thread discussion intervention. :yeah:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

It`s mainly related to surface almsot equivalence these days. You can`t sustain a top 50 ranking only with serve and volley in this era unless you are extremely talented.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

Aside from 2-3 tournaments, the ATP tour now has slower and higher bouncing courts. Add to that the strings nowadays which make it easier to hit passing shots. Players in general are fitter and are moving faster laterally.

Its just very very difficult being at the top with a predominant S&V game. Today a huge server will have more success than a pure serve and volleyer on every surface basically hence we don't see them anymore. :sad:

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

The video says nothing that people have not known for almost a good decade now.

Whether you ascribe the change in playing styles more to string technology, racket technology or surface speed reduction is pure speculation as it has to be a combination of all of those.

The exact degree to which each of those elements has caused players to hug the baseline more is nearly impossible to quantify.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I disagree, but even if people did know, I wouldn't say they were really took as much notice as they should. You don't hear the evolution ever talked about in much detail.

This video gives a clearer picture.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Aside from 2-3 tournaments, the ATP tour now has slower and higher bouncing courts. Add to that the strings nowadays which make it easier to hit passing shots. Players in general are fitter and are moving faster laterally.

Its just very very difficult being at the top with a predominant S&V game. Today a huge server will have more success than a pure serve and volleyer on every surface basically hence we don't see them anymore. :sad:
....but not only this, the kids aren't being taught serve and volley, so even if the ATP tour sped up the courts a bit more and it was more realistic for S & V players to survive, there would be no one with that style here / there to capitalise.

The coaching for serve and volley has probably evaporated too. Or is evaporating. Plus the kids would have no one's serve and volley style to look up to and model (Visualise playing) Dimitrov modeled HIS GAME off Federer and when he was a kid growing up visualised playing Federer's forehand, which allowed him to develop his technique and make his forehand better. Ofcourse they are not identical, but you get the point.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

....but not only this, the kids aren't being taught serve and volley, so even if the ATP tour sped up the courts a bit more and it was more realistic for S & V players to survive, there would be no one with that style here / there to capitalise.

The coaching for serve and volley has probably evaporated too. Or is evaporating. Plus the kids would have no one's serve and volley style to look up to and model (Visualise playing) Dimitrov modeled HIS GAME off Federer and when he was a kid growing up visualised playing Federer's forehand, which allowed him to develop his technique and make his forehand better. Ofcourse they are not identical, but you get the point.
Agree with you m8. I enjoyed Llodra's matches though.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

Not true, in my opinion.

Whenever there is a gap, there will be someone among the hundreds and thousands of tennis pros who will capitalise on it. Some people will just naturally be apt to adopt a serve and volley game even if it was not the core of the drills they were taught as a kid.

Your statement assumes that players cannot adapt their style to the surface when the very video you posted in the beginning showed how Borg managed to do it even if he was not naturally a serve and volleyer.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts

Whether you ascribe the change in playing styles more to string technology, racket technology or surface speed reduction is pure speculation as it has to be a combination of all of those.

The exact degree to which each of those elements has caused players to hug the baseline more is nearly impossible to quantify.
Pretty much this.

As for S/V not being taught, French players are still generally very apt at the net and it's obvious net skills are developed there. However, focusing really on S/V as the main strength is not going to happen unless at least one slam favors such a game. There's no incentive to do so.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts

Racket and string technology has not improved in a long time. It has nothing to do with that. Players are still using Luxilon from the late 90's and players are still using mould's or even further, actual rackets manufactured in the early 90's.

·
Registered
642 Posts

I think the biggest problems are the other surfaces. I mean if you are a pure serve and volley player you have to play qualifiers Wimbledon, because your chances to make the main draw are very little. This causes the die out of S+V players, but if hypotethically a solid S+V player would make the main draw in Wimbledon (there are non Sampras likie because talents adopting) he could make a deep run (SF or even win). But this video is amazing thanks for sharing that I just think this adds for the problem.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I think the biggest problems are the other surfaces. I mean if you are a pure serve and volley player you have to play qualifiers Wimbledon, because your chances to make the main draw are very little. This causes the die out of S+V players, but if hypotethically a solid S+V player would make the main draw in Wimbledon (there are non Sampras likie because talents adopting) he could make a deep run (SF or even win). But this video is amazing thanks for sharing that I just think this adds for the problem.
Yeah, I agree with this notion. Even if it is still mildly possible, with a lot of effort and focus to pull of serve and volley one today's grass, it would be mighty difficult for those players to put themselves in a position to do so.

Which is why you have to really hand it to the likes of Feliciano Lopez and Radek Stepanek. :yeah:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts