Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fognini lost against Andujar immediately after beating Nadal. This happened before in Rio.
Kyrgios,Darcis etc and so many other players its the same thing.

I think these players in order to get 1 day fame...they give it all in that match to beat nadal.
Some players recover and some do not.

These players should know their limits and understand that its ok to lose to Nadal.
At least they don't get injured by playing beyond their limits.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts

·
Premium Member
62,010 Posts
It's common, and has been mentioned before.

You'll also remember Federer's early round losses in 2013 came to players who more often than not bowed out in the next round.

·
Registered
33,357 Posts
Not really, Nadal has just been losing to mugs lately who didn't even have to play spectacular Tennis to beat him.

Also it's not as if Nadal is the only top player lower ranked guys beat and then lose to in the next round.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really, Nadal has just been losing to mugs lately who didn't even have to play spectacular Tennis to beat him.

Also it's not as if Nadal is the only top player lower ranked guys beat and then lose to in the next round.
I am not sure if you watched the match nadal vs fognini.....Fognini was returning everything and moving very well in the court. It was like fognini playing at a very high level.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well, it's Fognini. He's a nutcase and inconsistent.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
If I remember correctly, Darcis injured himself during that match and couldn't play his next one (was out for months, I believe). It's perhaps not surprising that a journeyman throwing their heart & everything in their body on court to try to play above their level and beat a legend would end up getting injured in the process.

As for others - even if they don't injure themselves, they may totally tire themselves out physically and (especially) mentally. Especially if it's a quick turnaround, I imagine it must be hard to go from HOLY PANCAKE ON A STICK I BEAT NADAL, with all the media furor (particularly in Slams) and everything else, only to come out and play again against some dude who doesn't care that you just beat Nadal, and actually he thinks you might be tired and his quarter's just opened up amazingly.

Then there are youngsters, who are even less likely to be prepared for the rapid turnaround, and oldsters, whose bodies may be complaining.

And finally there are the nutcases like Fognini. Who even knows why Fognini does anything? He's maddeningly inconsistent, and could just as easily turn up the heat and spank you as tank his way out of a tournament.

None of these dynamics apply solely to Nadal-beaters, of course. They could just as easily be applied to Federer or Djokovic-beaters. You take out a member of the Big Three, it's gonna be tricky to bounce back unless you really know what you're doing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
These players should know their limits and understand that its ok to lose to Nadal.
That's never an attitude a player should be thinking before a game against anyone, No doubt you burn more adrelian and physicality to beat a Nadal but when you go on court you don't say to yourself, I might lose tomorrow because I will be tired after winning today by pushing myself to extreme to win today...

That's just pure rot.

You say I want to play tomorrow so I will throw everything at Nadal today, to do otherwise is to lack the courage to go further in your career.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again Dustin Brown proved it.
Why do these players give 500% just to beat Nadal and just to lose in the next match.
Beating Nadal is going to be an inspiration...but these players will put their career in danger...if there is any injury.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Fognini lost against Andujar immediately after beating Nadal. This happened before in Rio.
Kyrgios,Darcis etc and so many other players its the same thing.

I think these players in order to get 1 day fame...they give it all in that match to beat nadal.
Some players recover and some do not.

Uncle Tony's voodoo magic.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
der Soderking?

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Beating Nadal isn't saying much these days. If you transferred his form and stroke production into a different guy, said player would struggle to win anything. What little Nadal has won this year is mainly due to his reputation.

The Madrid SF was the only time he's looked even remotely like his old self this year.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
All three players that beat Nadal were underdogs in their next match, tbh. They also faced opponents who really performed on the day (Troicki was rock solid today, Raonic gave nothing away vs Kyrgios, and Kohlschreiber was in his best ever form when he played Rosol).

1 - 20 of 76 Posts