Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the most impressive part was his defense :confused:. Stan is well-known for his firepower, but yesterday he also had been amazing in defense. Sure, Djokovic's shots may lack power, but he was smacking some fh's while wawrinka not only defended them, but also did it with great depth. Those who says that Djoker didn't try to play agressive are mistaken. Wawrinka sometimes was rallying quite deep and then BAM one shot and he is dominating rally. He catched even well angled shots and responded great too...And also brilliant tactics on return - cheap block returns annoyed djoker...He had been trying to dictate, but wawrinka was nearly like a wall and then djoker got overpowered...Wawrinka really showed great transition in this match. That's why he is winning slams and berdych + tsonga are slamless.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Wawrinka just dominated the grinder--end of story

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Honestly, he was quite impressive against Federer, hitting winners left right and center. I didn't watch his other matches, though, mostly because I couldn't (local channel didn't air them except for the QF onwards).

Reactions: Dr. Frankenfed

·
6,473 Posts
Yes his defense was noteworthy, as was his return of serve was deep and penetrating- Novak gained very few easy points here.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I agree that his defence was excellent. Djokovic was way too passive in the early sets, but when he started to get more aggressive, I was surprised at how Wawrinka stayed alive in some of the rallies and turned defence into attack with fantastic depth.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Indeed, he played great defense and then usually came up with a winner down the line

very interestingly:

his interview with mcenroe after the match, he said that longer rallies are GOOD for him and that he wanted that. I was way surprised to hear that

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I think Wawrinka's serve made a huge difference. It got him out of trouble many times including hat 0-40 game at 4-4 ... was it? The guy just bashes the ball and very hard to beat when he is clicking. But Nole did have many chances. You wouldn't bet against him winning it easy in 5 had he converted one of those 0-40 break points. Credit to Stan for saving them all

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Stan was moving really well and I do agree with the OP about his defense. there were moments throughout the match where Djokovic sort of tried to attack, he kept standing up at the baseline but its difficult when you have someone not only bludgeoning most balls but also moving very well and staying in points with said speed so often

Wawrinka when he's at his best is fantastic at throwing in slices and off balls and then just blasting anything he gets an opportunity at. definitely an underrated 'clawer' in terms of clawing his way into many points. there were certainly lots of points that Djokovic had the momentum and aggression that STan managed to stay in and then explode when an opportunity presented itself

·
23,473 Posts
I remembered seemed there is one point in the MC 2014 match against Fed where he had these awesome gets that ended with a short ball BH DTL winner...when on song, he's movement is great, and he could turn it to an attack.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Wawrinka just dominated the grinder--end of story
Its a pity he couldnt play like that since 2005. Or the face of tennis would look very different. There'd be wrinka shorts outselling AIr Jordon trainers. Wrinka personality transplants. How to blast your favourite tennis legend off the court DVDs. Selling by the million. Yes it would be like Federer Who? GODWRINKA is THE MAN!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Indeed, he played great defense and then usually came up with a winner down the line

very interestingly:

his interview with mcenroe after the match, he said that longer rallies are GOOD for him and that he wanted that. I was way surprised to hear that
This is probably because you never watch him. Wawrinka craves those long rallies so he can stretch you wide and find the opportune moment for the big strike or unreturnable. He also makes few mistakes despite aiming for the lines so it's natural to seek rallies.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Stan was moving really well and I do agree with the OP about his defense. there were moments throughout the match where Djokovic sort of tried to attack, he kept standing up at the baseline but its difficult when you have someone not only bludgeoning most balls but also moving very well and staying in points with said speed so often

Wawrinka when he's at his best is fantastic at throwing in slices and off balls and then just blasting anything he gets an opportunity at. definitely an underrated 'clawer' in terms of clawing his way into many points. there were certainly lots of points that Djokovic had the momentum and aggression that STan managed to stay in and then explode when an opportunity presented itself
Yip very truw

1 - 14 of 14 Posts