Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see hipsters everywhere, in my family, in my university, in the street, on TV, in my tennis club, but no top tennis players. Is there a reason for that?

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Federer could be considered a hipster. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,674 Posts

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
there's already a The hipster player speculation thread, some might be closeted hipsters as coming out would damage their public image.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and hipsters. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

You, me, or any hipster is gonna hit as hard as Djokovic or Murray. But it ain’t about how hard you ball-bash. It’s about how hard you can defend and keep moving sideways; how much you can take and keep moving forward to the net. That’s how winning is done!

Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. Win that Grand Slam. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers at line judges, drinking coffee and saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or Pascal Maria. Hipsters do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!

Reactions: johnny tsunami

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and hipsters. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

You, me, or any hipster is gonna hit as hard as Djokovic or Murray. But it ain’t about how hard you ball-bash. It’s about how hard you can get defend and keep moving sideways; how much you can take and keep moving forward to the net. That’s how winning is done!

Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. Win that Grand Slam. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers at line judges, drinking coffee and saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or Pascal Maria. Hipsters do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!
That's hipster thinking!

·
Registered
10,756 Posts
Ha, beat me to it with Gulbis. His parents are probably hipsters too, if they really named him after Hemingway. I remember him talking about his musical taste and the books he's into in an interview; as a part-hipster, I understand him.

"I do not understand most of the pop culture phenomena. There is not only one. I just don't understand how people can listen and watch and do what they are doing sometimes...Usually I try to run away from things that most other people like. That's one criterion I'm usually worried about. If too many people like it, I start to worry if it's really good. Because the really good stuff -- it takes a little bit of effort to watch or read. Music is a little different: Sometimes you can just listen to music that relaxes your mind and you cannot always listen to something deep, like classical music. You cannot listen to heavy stuff all the time. But pop culture in general is sometimes ... strange."

He later mentions Wim Wenders. Confirmed hipster legend.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I see hipsters everywhere, in my family, in my university, in the street, on TV, in my tennis club, but no top tennis players. Is there a reason for that?

You are right, though. We have college kid/momma's boys (Nadal, Isner, Murray), sophisticated guys (Federer, Berdych), and then clowns (Djokovic, Monfils, Koellerer). But no hipsters. I suppose Gulbis could be close to a hipster with a long beard and a couple hemp burritos. ;)

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Nishikori.

·
Your visions will happen
48,510 Posts
Kokk and Kyrgios are getting there

1 - 20 of 49 Posts