Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the class Federer shown with his tweet earlier, i personally consider Nadal and Federer equal in terms of greatness. One is the GOAT of slow and slow medium courts the other is GOAT of fast and fast-medium.

For those obsessed with separating the two greatest of all time (Djokovic is out of it after this humiliation that evidently delighted Roger) what gives Nadal the edge is:
1) The Surface Slam in 2010
2) 2 Channel Slams to 1 for Roger
3) h2h superiority
4) same number of YE1s
5) Olympic Gold
6) More Masters 1000

Federer has:
1) More weeks at no1
2) More YEC
3) More overall titles.

Looking at the above Nadal just about has it. However the story of today was that Nadal kept Djokovic a distant third and actually made 40-15 bearable for Federer. Djokovic will not catch either now. Given the dislike between Federer and Djokovic he will love having a better career than Djokovic.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Federer has:
4) more US Open titles
5) more Australian Open titles
6) more Wimbledon titles
7) more titles, big titles on slow hard, medium hard, fast hard, indoor hard
8) more titles, big titles on grass

I mean Federer is in front in 4 out of 5 biggest tournament on the ATP Tour. Australian Open, Wimbledon, US Open and WTF. In three cases it's not even remotely close. But yeah, Roland Garros is all that ever counts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Federer has:
4) more US Open titles
5) more Australian Open titles
6) more Wimbledon titles
7) more titles, big titles on slow hard, medium hard, fast hard, indoor hard
8) more titles, big titles on grass

I mean Federer is in front in 4 out of 5 biggest tournament on the ATP Tour. Australian Open, Wimbledon, US Open and WTF. In three cases it's not even remotely close. But yeah, Roland Garros is all that ever counts.
USO is an interesting one as Federer has 0 since Nadal turned 21 years of age.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
After the class Federer shown with his tweet earlier, i personally consider Nadal and Federer equal in terms of greatness. One is the GOAT of slow and slow medium courts the other is GOAT of fast and fast-medium.

For those obsessed with separating the two greatest of all time (Djokovic is out of it after this humiliation that evidently delighted Roger) what gives Nadal the edge is:
1) The Surface Slam in 2010
2) 2 Channel Slams to 1 for Roger
3) h2h superiority
4) same number of YE1s
5) Olympic Gold
6) More Masters 1000

Federer has:
1) More weeks at no1
2) More YEC
3) More overall titles.

Looking at the above Nadal just about has it. However the story of today was that Nadal kept Djokovic a distant third and actually made 40-15 bearable for Federer. Djokovic will not catch either now. Given the dislike between Federer and Djokovic he will love having a better career than Djokovic.
sorry, nice try but the only way Nadal matches Fed in any of these stats is because of clay. But 90% of players practise and play on hard courts. So the importance hard courts is weighted accordingly. And Fed is way out in front on that score. Djokovic was the real challenger, but thanks to the DQ and today he's not catching Fed now. So that's why Fed is so happy. His GOAT status is out of reach now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
USO is an interesting one as Federer has 0 since Nadal turned 21 years of age.
You should get your facts straight, mate. Rafael Nadal Parera was born on 03.06.1986. He turned 21 on 03.06.2007. Would it be a stretch to think he actually won the US Open 2007 and 2008? Wouldn't it make Federer to win 2 US Opens since Rafa turned 21? Just wonder...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, nice try but the only way Nadal matches Fed in any of these stats is because of clay. But 90% of players practise and play on hard courts. So the importance hard courts is weighted accordingly. And Fed is way out in front on that score. Djokovic was the real challenger, but thanks to the DQ and today he's not catching Fed now. So that's why Fed is so happy. His GOAT status is out of reach now.
LOl whatever gets you through the night. The 0 USO's in the Nadal era keeps Federer 2nd.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should get your facts straight, mate. Rafael Nadal Parera was born on 03.06.1986. He turned 21 on 03.06.2007. Would it be a stretch to think he actually won the US Open 2007 and 2008? Wouldn't it make Federer to win 2 US Opens since Rafa turned 21? Just wonder...
Federer not won a USO in the Nadal era fella.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I think people seem to forget when they talk "surface distribution" or whatever the fuck.. Nadal is the ONLY player to win 3 slams in a season on 3 different surfaces and is the only one of the Big 3 that has multiple slams (more than 1) on each of the surfaces. This "surface' distribution" crap is ridiculous anyways at this point. Its tards looking to cherry pick. All three 3 guys have the career slam. Now its all about who wins the most slams at this point. Time #1? Yea... Thats important But Djoker inevitably is going to have that record. Not Fed. You got the Masters. Nadal/Nole end up with more than Fed. You got domination on one surface. nadal has already won that. etc.

Do we just take Laver's Calendar slams away cause he didn't win a slam on Hards?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Agreed. I'm far from a Federer fan and this deluded Fedal myth but Nadal's unbalanced resume and undisputed inferiority to Federer and Djokovic on grass and hard will always be a serious argument against him. Equaling Roger's slam count is not enough.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Agreed. I'm far from a Federer fan and this deluded Fedal myth but Nadal's unbalanced resume and undisputed inferiority to Federer and Djokovic on grass and hard will always be a serious argument against him. Equaling Roger's slam count is not enough.
Why is it not a “serious argument” against Fed and Djoker that Rafa is the ONLY ONE with 2 or more slams on every surface?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Federer not won a USO in the Nadal era fella.
LOL 2008 wasn't Nadal era? Wasn't Rafa the world No. 1 at the US Open 2008? You are very funny, mate. I know you are a tard but at least you could present facts as they are. But maybe I am expecting too much...

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
As have already been explained numerous times, Nadal needs two slams more than Federer, until then they are co-goats.

Although Nadal would be greater player (because of two or even four slams more), Federer would still be greater HC, Grass & Indoor player i.e. Nadal would just be greater CC player compared to Federer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Why is it not a “serious argument” against Fed and Djoker that Rafa is the ONLY ONE with 2 or more slams on every surface?
It's a one argument.
Australian Open: 6 - 1 Federer
Sunshine Double: 9 - 3 Federer
Wimbledon: 8 - 2 Federer
Canada/ Cincinnati masters: 9 - 5 Federer
US Open: 5 - 4 Federer
Shanghai/ Paris Masters 4 - 1 Federer (including Madrid Masters till 2008)
WTF 6 - 0 Federer
Did I cover the whole year apart from clay court season? Don't you think it is a bit more than winning at least two slams on each surface?

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Gotta have the weeks at number 1 record I'm afraid. Good luck Rafa.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It's a one argument.
Australian Open: 6 - 1 Federer
Sunshine Double: 9 - 3 Federer
Wimbledon: 8 - 2 Federer
Canada/ Cincinnati masters: 9 - 5 Federer
US Open: 5 - 4 Federer
Shanghai/ Paris Masters 4 - 1 Federer (including Madrid Masters till 2008)
WTF 6 - 0 Federer
Did I cover the whole year apart from clay court season? Don't you think it is a bit more than winning at least two slams on each surface?
There's no real reason to make these groups. The tournaments in the tennis calendar are the perfect distribution to look at because that's the actual distribution of varying surfaces and conditions they play on (just looking at surfaces is really too simplistic as HC can vary quite a lot in how it plays). There Federer leads 10 to 4.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Nadal didn’t do much except benefit from Djoker’s injury and allergy/illness.
Fed benefited in the same way and has the same type of fake fanboys, but Fed’s supremely overrated so he’s throwing his hands up in hopes for another Djoker injury.
Djoker‘s the one that wins a lot more. A mediocre year is still only 2 or 3 losses.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The first rule of any Goat 3 debate needs to be to not complain that most of Nadal's slams are on clay. The other two barely achieved a slam on that surface owed to Nadal not being in the final. So by other metrics Federer still edges our Nadal by a hair but in terms of slams they are dead equal and 1 more slam by Nadal on any surface would cement his position as GOAT.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts