Mens Tennis Forums banner

is Nadal 2010 a goat season

• Yes, definitely, only man to win the 3 most prestigious tournaments

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Great season but not as good to be in the top 5 ever.

Votes: 28 80.0%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Arguably the 3 most prestigious tournaments in the world are WImbledon, Roland Garros and US open.

The only man to win them all so far is Rafael Nadal in 2010, 3 slams in 3 different surfaces back to back.
This accomplishement translates to winning the most important tournaments in every surface.. Winning 2 hardcourts and 1 grass is not as impressive imo, because Australian open (although a slam is a slam) is not as prestigious as the other 3, not even close.

Does Nadal deserve a recognition for this achievement?(I know some people might come up with competition level, but it always will remain as subjective).

I class this achievement up with Federer 2006 and only second to Laver's 69. Definitely better than Djokovic 2011 where the Serb literally dissapeared post US open and was completly useless in every match at the WTF.

·
Bunned!
3,050 Posts
It's certainly up there slam wise. He only won 3 masters, which kinds of hurts him when looking at the whole picture. If you just look at the slams, it's a great season.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's certainly up there slam wise. He only won 3 masters, which kinds of hurts him when looking at the whole picture. If you just look at the slams, it's a great season.
ok

3 slams back to bakc in 3 different surfaces (the three most prestigious tournaments in the calendar year)

To prove you have dominated clay in a season you need to win RG

To prove you have dominated grass in a season you need to win Wimbledon

To prove you have been the best HC player in season you need to win the USO

Rafa won those 3 and reached the final at the WTF...

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Where is the option for:
"Overrated season, achieved only because extremely weak field, even more extremely cakewalk draws and even more extreme luck. Not great at all"

·
Registered
4,670 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Winning against Soderling and Berdych in GS finals? :spit:

Zero wins against Nole and Fed in W/RG.

1-1 against Fed, losing to Baghdatis, Melzer, Lopez, GGL and semiretired Ljubicic? Really a great year :spit:

Reactions: JoWilly

·
Registered
810 Posts
Winning against Soderling and Berdych in GS finals? :spit:

Zero wins against Nole and Fed in W/RG.

1-1 against Fed, losing to Baghdatis, Melzer, Lopez, GGL and semiretired Ljubicic? Really a great year :spit:
And beating Djokovic in the US Open final, which he would do again a couple years later. Everyone forgets Nadal has more US Opens than Djokovic. Yes, 2010 was an incredible season. 3 slams on 3 different surfaces. He was a little weaker outside slams, but that is irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Did not vote because of biased poll. Weak season where only 6 top 10 opponents beaten en route, not enough wins outside of slams, too much butt picking. Ban season discussion, ban op, lock thread

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Q. Why Nadal 2010 deserves to be between the GOAT seasons..

A. Because my weee widdddddle heart finks so. :sad:

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Davydenko and Del Po injured two players which spank dull evritim

·
Banned
1,384 Posts
Do not be fooled by the idiots who populate this forum Ramon. To all objective unbiased analysts of the sport, 2010 is regarded as one of the finest tennis seasons ever put together, being the only season ever in which someone has won a Grand Slam on all 3 surfaces. You bring up 2010 with any real life tennis FANS and they'll applaud it's significance, unlike the basement dwelling creatures that live behind their anonymity here. However this forum is the most rabid Nadalhating cesspool in existence and it's members will say anything that they can pull out of their asses to devalue any win or achievement Nadal has ever had.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Arguably the 3 most prestigious tournaments in the world are WImbledon, Roland Garros and US open.

The only man to win them all so far is Rafael Nadal in 2010, 3 slams in 3 different surfaces back to back.
This accomplishement translates to winning the most important tournaments in every surface.. Winning 2 hardcourts and 1 grass is not as impressive imo, because Australian open (although a slam is a slam) is not as prestigious as the other 3, not even close.

Does Nadal deserve a recognition for this achievement?(I know some people might come up with competition level, but it always will remain as subjective).

I class this achievement up with Federer 2006 and only second to Laver's 69. Definitely better than Djokovic 2011 where the Serb literally dissapeared post US open and was completly useless in every match at the WTF.
:scratch: The prestige argument isn't subjective? You even said "in my opinion".

Either way, his year is impressive for the fact that it spanned 3 different surfaces in Majors anyway, but I find the "prestige" angle odd in light of what you go on to say.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Do not be fooled by the idiots who populate this forum Ramon. To all objective unbiased analysts of the sport, 2010 is regarded as one of the finest tennis seasons ever put together, being the only season ever in which someone has won a Grand Slam on all 3 surfaces. You bring up 2010 with any real life tennis FANS and they'll applaud it's significance, unlike the basement dwelling creatures that live behind their anonymity here. However this forum is the most rabid Nadalhating cesspool in existence and it's members will say anything that they can pull out of their asses to devalue any win or achievement Nadal has ever had.
:cuckoo: :smash: :silly: :help:

Top 5 Ever:
1. Laver 1969
2. Federer 2006
3. Federer 2004
4. Federer 2007
5. Nadal 2010
6. Djokovic 2011
:cuckoo: :smash: :silly: :help:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Top 5 Ever:
1. Laver 1969
2. Federer 2006
3. Federer 2004
4. Federer 2007
5. Nadal 2010
6. Djokovic 2011
Can you please explain to me how can you rate Federer's 2007 above Djokovic's 2011? How is that possible? In 2007 Federer lost two weeks in a row to Canas in March, then lost to Volandri in Rome, lost to Karlovic in Paris, won the same Grand Slam titles as Djokovic in 2011, won two less Masters titles than Djokovic, Djokovic had 10 titles in 2011, Federer had 8, Federer's longest winning streak was 12 matches, Djokovic's in 2011 was 41. The only segment in which Federer was better is the fact that he won WTF in 2007 and Djokovic didn't in 2011.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Can you please explain to me how can you rate Federer's 2007 above Djokovic's 2011? How is that possible? In 2007 Federer lost two weeks in a row to Canas in March, then lost to Volandri in Rome, lost to Karlovic in Paris, won the same Grand Slam titles as Djokovic in 2011, won two less Masters titles than Djokovic, Djokovic had 10 titles in 2011, Federer had 8, Federer's longest winning streak was 12 matches, Djokovic's in 2011 was 41. The only segment in which Federer was better is the fact that he won WTF in 2007 and Djokovic didn't in 2011.
Well there you go, for this post, WTF is more important. For career achievements, not important.

Hope you enjoyed this insight into the mind of a nadull fan

·
Premium Member
21,569 Posts
Tennis dot com discussed it a few years ago, the article seems to be gone, but this was their list:

No. 1: Rod Laver, 1969
No. 2: Roger Federer, 2006
No. 3: Novak Djokovic, 2011
No. 4: John McEnroe, 1984
No. 5: Jimmy Connors, 1974
No. 6: Roger Federer, 2007
No. 7: Rafael Nadal, 2010
No. 8: Mats Wilander, 1988
No. 9: John McEnroe, 1981
No. 10: Bjorn Borg, 1979

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Can't see the OP but laughing my ass off that the only poll options are that it was a good season. It was his best, but anyone would have won 3 slams with that feld. In fact, Djoker and Roger would have won all slams and all masters. Murray could have won RG, that is how poor the field was. Numbers and figures.

This reminds me of when there was a thread talking about Nadal's 2013 being one of the best two slam seasons. I think it was our fallen comrade GSMdull trolling. Yep, so dominant he lost to Darcis at Wimbledon and Novak was ITF best player that year :)

Basically the Nadal fanbase on here spend their time trying to wind everyone up. It is so transparent. If Nadal had a slamless season and Djoker or Roger won the CYGS, you would get Nadal fans saying Nadal had a better season. They never say anything serious.

Laver 69; Djokovic 2011 and Federer 2006 are the best and its a fact. Numbers don't lie. Nadal would swap his fluke 2010 for a year of that calibre anyday. What they achieved was far greater than what he achieved and against much better opposition too.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts