Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Well Tsonga is flashy but also an incomplete player, it's not really rocket science. It's not about his attitude or approach - his backhand and his return simply aren't good enough most of the time.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,200 Posts
He has his weaknesses as mentioned in the article but I think he would have nailed at least 1 Slam without the injuries. It's not just the missed chances caused by them, it also prevented him to develop his game further.

As for the match tomorrow, I think his chance is very slim since his 1st serve percentage has become very low since the knee injury picked up in 2013. On the other side, Nole improved his serve, so just on serve and return of serve ability the game has been won by Nole, Tsonga would have to be something like 1.5 times better than Nole in the rallies and very clutch in the big points.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
He has his weaknesses as mentioned in the article but I think he would have nailed at least 1 Slam without the injuries. It's not just the missed chances caused by them, it also prevented him to develop his game further.

As for the match tomorrow, I think his chance is very slim since his 1st serve percentage has become very low since the knee injury picked up in 2013. On the other side, Nole improved his serve, so just on serve and return of serve ability the game has been won by Nole, Tsonga would have to be something like 1.5 times better than Nole in the rallies and very clutch in the big points.
I have to agree. I think a slam might've been a possibility in previous years, but not anymore.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Always one of my favourites.

Just playing his career out now but he had his moments.

It's really important to remember only a tiny percentage of active Tennis players actually win grand slams.

I certainly wouldn't have believed in January 2008 that would've been the only slam final he'd have made in his career baring a miracle run now.

Still many amazing matches. Has Federer ever looked or felt so hopeless on Centre court as he was in Wimbledon 2011 when Tsonga ripped the match from his racquet?

Can also remember a quarter or semi final at RG one year against Djokovic. Was about to win but it didn't happen and the tears flowed into his towel, certainly should've been the first French player in a while to play a slam final at RG.

Edit: Was actually a quarter final and Nole saved four match points. Think Tsonga would've beaten Federer in the semi final as he was gassed from a 5 setter v JMDP.

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
Well Tsonga is flashy but also an incomplete player, it's not really rocket science. It's not about his attitude or approach - his backhand and his return simply aren't good enough most of the time.
tbh his forehand can be so massive, that indeed a lot of the time its his mental.

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
His worst most unfulfilled moment might have been his 2013 RG semi loss to Ferrer, in straight sets... nothing worked that day. Bad performance.

That was his moment to make another final.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Given how ineffective his two-hander is, I have to wonder if Tsonga would have been better off learning a one-handed backhand as a youngster. He takes a hand off the backhand quite naturally, like Shapovalov used to do as a kid when he was taught a two-hander. Wawrinka also started with a two-hander but switched because his was lousy, and look how the one-hander worked out for him.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
His worst most unfulfilled moment might have been his 2013 RG semi loss to Ferrer, in straight sets... nothing worked that day. Bad performance.

That was his moment to make another final.
That was an awful performance, he had SP in the 2nd set that maybe could have turned things around, but was destroyed in sets 1 and 3. Surprising given his level against Federer.

Another wasted chance for him was the SF in 2015 against Wawrinka.

He used to give Djokovic 1.0 a fair share of trouble (regardless, Djokovic won the biggest match), ever since 2011 it's been pretty easy for Djokovic, save that one loss and that epic comeback in Roland Garros 2012.

·
Registered
21,284 Posts
Harsh but I do agree with the entire premise of the article. I would have also mentioned his injury prone body though. His body is not made for tennis.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,200 Posts
Given how ineffective his two-hander is, I have to wonder if Tsonga would have been better off learning a one-handed backhand as a youngster. He takes a hand off the backhand quite naturally, like Shapovalov used to do as a kid when he was taught a two-hander. Wawrinka also started with a two-hander but switched because his was lousy, and look how the one-hander worked out for him.
Hmmm, I don't like his one-handed motion tbh, though the passing shots are nice to watch. It might be that he grew with the 2-hander because the one-hander wasn't good enough. That would be an interesting thing to ask him.

That was an awful performance, he had SP in the 2nd set that maybe could have turned things around, but was destroyed in sets 1 and 3. Surprising given his level against Federer.

Another wasted chance for him was the SF in 2015 against Wawrinka.

He used to give Djokovic 1.0 a fair share of trouble (regardless, Djokovic won the biggest match), ever since 2011 it's been pretty easy for Djokovic, save that one loss and that epic comeback in Roland Garros 2012.
Yeah, the french mentality was a significant handicap, odds are he'd have lost to Nadal in the Final though. The Wimbledon a few weeks after is what really gutted me as his game is harder to counter on grass and he had found a consistency in his game which he didn't have prior to 2013. Since then, his level was no longer the same, on the serve alone the average of his first deliver dropped 10-15%, that's brutal.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have always wondered this exact thing.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
He had a lot of potential, but that backhand was too much of a glaring weakness to consistently be a contender.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Top French players in general tend to disappoint. You just can't count on them, especially in the mentality department.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
tbh his forehand can be so massive, that indeed a lot of the time its his mental.
Against most opponents, Tsonga would win if just his serve and forehand was clicking. But we're talking about winning slams here. His return and backhand are simply too weak when push comes to shove.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,632 Posts
His backhand is problematic and the return as well on that side. He's done amazingly well all considered.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think he actually was training with a one-hander at 12 or 13

1 - 19 of 19 Posts