Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked the tournament websites up until the TMS Indian Wells, and he's not committed to any tournaments! I know he doesn't want to risk burn-out, but at this rate, the cons of lack of match play and losing points are going to out-weigh the pros like rest. Also, the number one player should be more willing to support the tour...Lleyton, we want you to play!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
it's his way of getting back @ the ATP for that whole fiasco bit that theyr were involved in. but he can lose the #1 spot to Agassi if he keeps this up, but Agassi being #1 won't hurt:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I do remember he threatened to limit his schedule this year. I guess he was serious.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
It will be curious to see how this works out for him. I can't imagine it will work against him too much, but I'm not convinced it is going to show any improvement either.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Seeing as the only other guy on tour who seems to know how to win Grand Slams and be consistent is Andre Agassi, I dont' see hewitt falling out of the top two. Even if he doesn't defend Wimbleodon.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well....we'll have to wait and see....but I dun think it will do him any harm... he's gonna be fresh for the TMS in Indian Wells and Miami at least....

In the long run...he'll benefit...as long as he keeps fit.....

However, I dun think he'll be #1 again tho..... not unless he wins at least 3-4 TMS, 2 GS and the TMC.....which is a big ask....but u never know...

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
However, I dun think he'll be #1 again tho..... not unless he wins at least 3-4 TMS, 2 GS and the TMC.....which is a big ask....but u never know...
Well Agassi started out the 2001 season by winning Oz, and the first two master series events. Yet he still ended up the year at number 2, being passed by Guga and then Hewitt.

Hewitt has proven that all he has to do to keep number one is to do well in optional events, be consistent in a few masters series, and win a slam.

So far absolutely nobody else has been able to do that (since he took over the top spot).

Guga was able to do it, but I don't think he's going to come all the way back. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Agassi may be able to do it, we'll ahve to wait and see it.

That's about it. I don't see anybody else who is going to pick up and do more than they have been doing.

In which case Hewitt hardly needs to win as much as you say that he does in order to stay number one in the future. Agassi might pass him soon, but that doesn't mean that he will stay there.

·
Registered
496 Posts
ugh At Hewitt.
I hope he's playing Scottsdale, I don't like Agassi gaining the #1. :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
His schedule isn't his problem. He's not the best player in the world anymore because he's going for too much on his serve. He ought to take a cue from Agassi-- the prototype for his game-- who started to have his greatest career success once he began to take more OFF his service. Lleyton is the only guy in the world who may be able to compete with Andre right now, but he's not gonna do it if he keeps trying to average 125 mph on his first serve.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It is said that nowadays Lleyton's spending time to accompany Kim to play some WTA tours, and sometimes play golf with Kim :eek:
Don't know exactly...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lleyton's watching Kim's game with Kim's father in Belgium.

·
Registered
314 Posts
wraith said:
His schedule isn't his problem. He's not the best player in the world anymore because he's going for too much on his serve. He ought to take a cue from Agassi-- the prototype for his game-- who started to have his greatest career success once he began to take more OFF his service. Lleyton is the only guy in the world who may be able to compete with Andre right now, but he's not gonna do it if he keeps trying to average 125 mph on his first serve.
Maybe, but he's recognised that his serve is a facet of his game he needs to work on; if he improves it he'll win more often and it'll increase his tennis longevity (cheaper points on serve).

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
wraith said:
Not even the posters on LLL believe me when I say this but Ll served extremely well in the doubles during DC. He lost about 2 points on his serve in the entire first set and one of those was a DF and he won service games to love or 15 for almost all of the second. So he can serve very well and if he can do it in singles (big 'if' i know) he has just added a major asset to his game.

He has been planning to cut down his schedule for at least two years and was quoted as such well before Cincinnati last year. His ideal is apparently 13 tournaments a year. He is kissing goodbye to the No. 1 if he does that but I suspect his view is that a player is remembered first for his Slams and only then for ranking. And lest we forget he is only a tyro No. 1 anyway :p

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
*shrugs* A powerful, well-placed serve will have an impact against anyone. Some more than others doubtless but better to have one than not.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Come one Lleyton!.....I still have and always will have faith in him!.....some people are telling me that Llegs isn't playing Scottsdale and some are telling me that he is.....what is the REAL answer?!?!?!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts