Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neither ATP neither in this site i heard any confirmation that he's already number 1 until Australia next year. But Nadal can only gain 2.320 points (he can get to 4000 - Tokyo, Shangai, Paris, London) and defends 1680 and go to 12940, and Djokovic can lose 1.650 going to 13.070.

The only chance Nadal has of returning to number 1 this year would be entering into a ATP250 or Valencia, none of which he'll go. Do they have to wait until all entries are announced so can Djokovic is officialy number 1?

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Maybe because 2011 hasn't ended yet? :stupid:
And what is this title and who would be declaring it?
How is it different than world number 1 Novak Djokovic?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every year, the ATP oficially declares when a player has reached a status where he's already number 1 for the end of the year and usually they give the trophy already in the first day of London... or no? If this NEVER happens, ok, but i found it was strange that nothing was already said...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Neither ATP neither in this site i heard any confirmation that he's already number 1 until Australia next year. But Nadal can only gain 2.320 points (he can get to 4000 - Tokyo, Shangai, Paris, London) and defends 1680 and go to 12940, and Djokovic can lose 1.650 going to 13.070.

The only chance Nadal has of returning to number 1 this year would be entering into a ATP250 or Valencia, none of which he'll go. Do they have to wait until all entries are announced so can Djokovic is officialy number 1?
In London Rafa can gain 1500 not 1000 as you calculated. So No. 1 race isn't over yet theoretically. But most probably it'll be over after Shanghai.

·
Registered
22,616 Posts
Toyko(500) + Shanghai(1000) + Paris(1000) + London(1500) = 4000, so yeah he did count 1500 for London

but yeah you can't just assume that Rafa won't play a 250 event. In theory he could get a WC or even play qualies if he wanted to even after5 the entry lists were relised, and get those points. You can't just announce that he isn't gonna get there because we assume that he won't play a 250 event

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Toyko(500) + Shanghai(1000) + Paris(1000) + London(1500) = 4000, so yeah he did count 1500 for London

but yeah you can't just assume that Rafa won't play a 250 event. In theory he could get a WC or even play qualies if he wanted to even after5 the entry lists were relised, and get those points. You can't just announce that he isn't gonna get there because we assume that he won't play a 250 event
Djoko's YTD points: 13 295

- (Nadal's)9110

= 4185

In order for Nadal to overtake Djokovic, Nadal has to win those 4 plus a 250, aaaand Djokovic can't make it past the second or third of any of those events. Not only that, he'd have to not play the WTF at all. If he just played RR stage and retired all his matches, or lost and was double bagled in each, he'd still get 200 points. If we factor those 200 points in, that are basically guaranteed for the top 8, the real distance is 4385- almost completely insurmountable.

Of course, this is a dumb thread and none of this matters, because there's no such thing as champion of a year, there are only year end rankings, which are announced at years end of course.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts

They cannot announce it until it's mathematically impossible for Nadal to regain the #1. If Novak gets badly injured and he decides not to play for the rest of the season, Rafa might be tempted to play more tournaments. It would be premature to say Novak will end the year as #1. It's 99.99% certain, but not 100%. :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Djoko's YTD points: 13 295

- (Nadal's)9110

= 4185

In order for Nadal to overtake Djokovic, Nadal has to win those 4 plus a 250, aaaand Djokovic can't make it past the second or third of any of those events. Not only that, he'd have to not play the WTF at all. If he just played RR stage and retired all his matches, or lost and was double bagled in each, he'd still get 200 points. If we factor those 200 points in, that are basically guaranteed for the top 8, the real distance is 4385- almost completely insurmountable.

Of course, this is a dumb thread and none of this matters, because there's no such thing as champion of a year, there are only year end rankings, which are announced at years end of course.
I thought RR stage gives 200 points per victory...I didn't think there was a guaranteed 200 points just for showing up

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I thought RR stage gives 200 points per victory...I didn't think there was a guaranteed 200 points just for showing up
That's correct. In 2009 Nadal lost all of his matches in the RR stage of the WTF and left with *zero* points.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About the "champion" thing, don't exist? Obviously not with this name, but if i remember, they always give a trophy in early game at WTF for the player who will end the year as #1, right? I think they call it "World number 1 ceremony"...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
About the "champion" thing, don't exist? Obviously not with this name, but if i remember, they always give a trophy in early game at WTF for the player who will end the year as #1, right? I think they call it "World number 1 ceremony"...
Yes, they do. They have a glass trophy in the shape of a No. 1. It's the official confirmation of the end-of-year #1. And you're right, every year, the player who ends as #1 is like a "Champion of the year", but they don't call it that. They call it end-of-year #1.

They will announce it as soon as it's mathematically impossible for Rafa to overtake Novak. I expect it to be quite soon.

But sometimes, even at the beginning of the WTF, the end-of-year #1 is not certain. It makes for exciting matches. :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Even if Nadal wins the rest of the tournaments this year and Djoko loses in the early rounds, would it really mean Nadal is #1? I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will still call Novak #1 seeing as he has 3 majors and a bunch of other titles.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Djokovic is the real number 1 this year no matter what! Even if nadal wins there next 2 meetings! Asuming they meet in Paris and shanghai

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I thought it would be impossible for Nadal to catch up to Djokovic unless he takes a WC into a tournament (not impossible, but unlikely)?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
They called it " ATP World Tour Champion"

Nadal clinched sep 16,2010

Nadal will be officially crowned as the 2010 ATP World Tour Champion during a special ceremony at the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London, Nov. 21-28. Nadal and Federer are the first two players to qualify for the eight-man field. He is the third left-hander to finish No. 1 at least twice, joining Jimmy Connors (five times, 1974-78) and John McEnroe (four times, 1981-84). http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/09/Other/Nadal-ATP-World-Tour-Champion.aspx

·
Registered
301 Posts
cus the fuckers in ATP (mainly british) want to extend this "title" until WTF and see mugray have a chance to prove he is better....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts