Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why is there no rule that balls must be rolled back to the ball boy/girl or linesman between points. That way is it very clear what is considered to be appropriate and no one can ever be disqualified for this again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That seems like a reasonable rule to implement that will solve this issue so that it is very clear what is considered safe.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
At the USO? Where the ball people are allowed to throw the ball to each other through the air? It's not Wimbledon.

I think the players are the first who wouldn't like this rule, because they need to think about something that's very unnatural to them.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Yes.

Also no serves over 90mph and groundstrokes must have at least 7 feet of net clearance to reduce the risk of penetrating a lines person.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Forget about this bs rules.All we need is just to introduce an auto-hawk-eye everywhere. That's all. Ofc it is expensive,but the sooner we get rid of them, the better for the sport.

It is 2020 year and we still have to rely on clowns who make wrong calls every couple of games and ruining the match

And again.I am 100% sure that Nole kept in his mind Cinci where NO LINE JUDGES + at this moment he was angry.

Reactions: cpbdea

·
Registered
989 Posts
That wouldn't stop players from slamming balls in anger from time to time, so there would still be a risk of someone getting hit.

Eventually a player would roll a ball back slightly faster and some 70 y/o grandma would trip on it and break a hip or something anyway.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Let it go, this will prove beneficial to Djokovic down the line.
Sure, 1 potential GS lost, but guess what, there are 4 (hopefully) every year.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
There is no need for such a rule. As you can see in every match, all professional players, including Djokovic, know perfectly well how to appropriately return the balls to the ballkids. They also all know that they risk penalties if they hit balls somewhere without watching. Maybe it would have been better for Djokovic to get a warning at his first misconduct (as he should have). This could possibly have reminded him of appropriate court behaviour.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
There is no need for such a rule. As you can see in every match, all professional players, including Djokovic, know perfectly well how to appropriately return the balls to the ballkids. They also all know that they risk penalties if they hit balls somewhere without watching. Maybe it would have been better for Djokovic to get a warning at his first misconduct (as he should have). This could possibly have reminded him of appropriate court behaviour.
That would have been discrimination considering similar situations like this in tennis. Even Henman was disqualified at Wimbledon (of all places!) for unintentionally hitting a girl with a ball.

Rules exist to prevent discrimination.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
@Losange I was probably not clear with my message. I completely agree with the default. But Djokovic hit another ball angrily before that. If he got a warning for that, maybe he wouldn‘t have done it a second time.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
@Losange I was probably not clear with my message. I completely agree with the default. But Djokovic hit another ball angrily before that. If he got a warning for that, maybe he wouldn‘t have done it a second time.
Oh yes, I see, I interpreted that sentence in a different way.

Yeah, good point. The entire first set was filled with momentum changes within games. I mean, Djokovic had three SPs at 5-4. What if he converted one of them? We'll never know. Then the shoulder issue. His frustration was taking charge which has happened before. I respect him as a player, but when things are not going his way his attitude and behaviour change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts