Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been studying human development and specifically how it has been (negatively) affected by peer pressure.I would put in the players 1990 and up and many other sports and venues of life. These people who grew up with cell phones, internet, specialty tv channels and generaly unrestrained travel and capitalism and never before seen pressure to be career oriented which has conspired to turn children away from family inter generational development and into superficial peer attachment that get them stuck emotionally. Children no longer get their cues and support from their family and immediate surroundings but are controlled by peer pressures from far away.

Under peer pressure , one can not show any emotion as to not be different and is forced to be the same in order to fit in, hence a loss of adaptation and a lack of originality. As well , they get their esteem only conditionally from peers which usually means the lowest common denominator and not at all unconditional support from family. Hence you will see that these players show no emotion and emotions drive originality. Because of that , today's players do just enough to fit in and they lose their own drive to doing things since they don't have a firm root and attachment to back them up.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will reconstruct the last sentence, today's players do just enough to fit in to satisfy their peers and they don't develop their own drive to doing things since they don't have a firm root and attachment from family and community to back them up.

·
Premium Member
21,920 Posts
How did you arrive to that conclusion? That hardly applies to the likes of Kyrgios, Tomic, Coric, just to name a few. Also there is the matter of endorsments, if one behaves like an asshole or a weirdo, he's not going to net a lot of backers. :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You are partially right in the sense that peer pressure although exists in a larger extent nowadays, does not have the same effects in all parts of the world. I do not know what data are you using for you studies and if your references are based on US and Canada.

As uniqueness in tennis is concerned i do believe that we have unique characters coming up (ex.kyrgios) but you are right in stating that they are acting more like they are trying to fit in. I believe the reason for that is that tennis itself has changed and from a creative brain sport, it became more of a physical sport and 'robot' type of athletes like Rafa and Nole are more prone to success rather than the Mcenroe and Agassi types. Also big corporations taking over the marketing they tend to shape the whole organization to their liking and even the interviews of the best players sound identical like they are instructed.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not just peer pressure but peer attachment that competes with family attachment. When their family gives them conditional support based on being with their peers, this is going to make children very insecure since they don't have unconditional support so they are going to attach to their peers by copying everything they see eventually settling on the lowest common denominator. All these new gadgets seem designed to turn away from family to peers. People are free to be original and driven only when their attachment is secure so that they freely test new areas of their potential.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
I am not following how you translate this to tennis world and young players. What peer pressure and attachments are we talking about in this case and what are its results in your opinion, or conversely, what would be the result if family attachment was more pronounced?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you arrive to that conclusion? That hardly applies to the likes of Kyrgios, Tomic, Coric, just to name a few. Also there is the matter of endorsments, if one behaves like an asshole or a weirdo, he's not going to net a lot of backers. :)
The sign of peer pressure and attachment is that some of them may appear more competitive early but they are just trying to attach to something however once the peer attachment kicks in, they realize subconsciously that it's not deep at all and they get blunted feelings and then they just try to conform

·
Registered
27,331 Posts
This thread would actually make sense if you were talking about game style.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not following how you translate this to tennis world and young players. What peer pressure and attachments are we talking about in this case and what are its results in your opinion, or conversely, what would be the result if family attachment was more pronounced?
Tennis players were noted for burning out and that's because of its extreme peer culture however with the recent introduction of cell phones, internet, career building, open travel it's all meant to reinforce peer attachment. Family attachment is unconditional on connection and inter generational whereas peer attachment is conditional on behavior and results. If one is family attached , then he knows that he has a base to return to and can explore unexplored areas. In peer attachment, there is no basis for long term connection so it is shallow and self serving and once people feel like they don't measure up, they start being petulant or conformist or sneaky or destructive. Obviously this is not only applicable to tennis and sport but to general relations

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Couldn't that apply to lots of different occupations?
Same thread is found in mensplumbersforums and nurseforums.

I think it's a study

:p

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Tennis players were noted for burning out and that's because of its extreme peer culture however with the recent introduction of cell phones, internet, career building, open travel it's all meant to reinforce peer attachment. Family attachment is unconditional on connection and inter generational whereas peer attachment is conditional on behavior and results. If one is family attached , then he knows that he has a base to return to and can explore unexplored areas. In peer attachment, there is no basis for long term connection so it is shallow and self serving and once people feel like they don't measure up, they start being petulant or conformist or sneaky or destructive. Obviously this is not only applicable to tennis and sport but to general relations
Yes, I get the general part, but you're not translating it to tennis world. What does it effectively mean in terms of influence on tennis players in particular? If by unique you mean there's lack of distinct personalities, I'd blame the the desire for better endorsments and thus PR tailored images more than peer pressure. If not that, what are we talking about specifically?

·
Premium Member
21,920 Posts
This is all starting to sound like gibberish. How is that actually related to "decent unique players"? Not to mention that you never said anything about the game style as leng jai noted.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I get the general part, but you're not translating it to tennis world. What does it effectively mean in terms of influence on tennis players in particular? If by unique you mean there's lack of distinct personalities, I'd blame the the desire for better endorsments and thus PR tailored images more than peer pressure. If not that, what are we talking about specifically?
entertaining, unique and self driven players are lacking because today players are all peer driven and their parents are also peer driven. In a peer driven environment, everyone denominates to the least commoon denominator for safety. There is no safety among peers to be upset or unique or express your own experience. It's the same thing in school and professional life particularly where there is an image to uphold like politicians, doctors, actors, businessmen etc... Advertising is something I forgot to mention but obviously it's an extreme form of peer pressure and attachment. It's like saying, it doesn't matter who you are , we have it figured out for you. but when it's over for you you are done and you have nowhere to go back to.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is all starting to sound like gibberish. How is that actually related to "decent unique players"? Not to mention that you never said anything about the game style as leng jai noted.

Yes, it's a new vocabulary and relatively new concept for me but it's very intuitive once someone realizes that attachment is the primary life force. Tennis is prbably the toughest sport, there is 1 winner and 127 losers in a grand slam and there is only spotlight on winners. It's a very shaky unthankful sport to say the least , not to mention that it's more based on failure to get the ball in play than anything else.

With that in mind, it's all based on what player does not who they are. All people need someone to connect uncoditionally yet tennis is nothing like that and requires all the little things and lots of experts telling how to do this or that. One has to have a really strong family support to remain properly attached and to have the game come out of him instead of the game coming into him. This is the main issue, If players today are not strongly attached , they will have just things coming into them and no force that comes out of them. They will just try to copy what comes out of them without their own drive and imagination in it. Strong attachment makes one secure to explore their own ways.

The main point with attachment is that when someone is attached and mature they can go out and find their own way and have things come out of them. When someone is peer atatched they just copy what they see others doing which of course can never be good enough. Proper attachment makes possible independence and imagination and the drive to be your own person. Unfulfilled peer attachment is all about appearances and getting along and trying to fit in in very superficial ways.

·
Premium Member
21,920 Posts
With that in mind, it's all based on what player does not who they are. All people need someone to connect uncoditionally yet tennis is nothing like that and requires all the little things and lots of experts telling how to do this or that. One has to have a really strong family support to remain properly attached and to have the game come out of him instead of the game coming into him.
I think you couldn't be more wrong here. In tennis it's not so unusual to see a family member in the box, sitting with the coach, even coaching the player. And only the very top players can afford experts telling them what to do. Lower ranked players are usually on their own. How many basketball or football players are regularly followed or coached by a family member? It's nearly impossible, and from the earliest days it's the club which tells you what to do, how to do and so on.
Really no idea what you are trying to say or prove here, and I'm not sure even you know what you want to say. :lol:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you couldn't be more wrong here. In tennis it's not so unusual to see a family member in the box, sitting with the coach, even coaching the player. And only the very top players can afford experts telling them what to do. Lower ranked players are usually on their own. How many basketball or football players are regularly followed or coached by a family member? It's nearly impossible, and from the earliest days it's the club which tells you what to do, how to do and so on.
Really no idea what you are trying to say or prove here, and I'm not sure even you know what you want to say. :lol:
Family member who is peer oriented makes things worse for players not better. Tennis is probably the worst sport for taking away family connection and throwing people into peer orientation for all the obvious reasons. Peer orientation means results oriented, conditional support. Now I am still learning a lot about this so I am not that all verbal about it but I totally get it. The one I got it from is this man and this video in particular. It's the most excellent 100 minutes and I watched it a dozen times at least and I always get something out of it and yes it applies to everything including sports. As anti family sport as tennis is, it's clear that few big successes have retained that family connection to keep them more or less stable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlMkWJY5T_w

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
You continue to speak in generalities. What does this peer rather than family orientation result in? What would be different otherwise?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts