Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
27,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ah the slice backhand. Such a wonderfully delicate ballet shot which can open up a plethora of new tactics if utilised correctly. The shot that Rodduck desperately tries to use but fails dismally in any attacking sense. The shot Gonzo has barstardized beyond repair. The shot Federer uses with ease to set up his forehand winners. The shot that Berdych thinks he can smash for winners without bending his knees. The shot that the Fixer has night terrors over.

So I pose this question: Why is the slice so underrented?

Off the top of my head there are several reasons. The death of the serve and volley is a large factor. The slowing of Wimbledon is another. The transformation of the modern game and racquet technology which promotes Nadalesque moonballing and Blakesque ball bashing. I can barely think of any top players who can hit a decent attacking slice. Of course theres Federer, my personal obssession (Haas), Hewit....and now my mind draws a big fat blank.

Its hard to see why a player wouldn't use a low attacking slice more often. It confuses ball bashers like Davydenko, Berdych and Roddick. It negates the big off forehand that 90% of players use, can draw players who can't volley into the net, destroys players who are allergic to bending their knees, extremely effective defensive shot, causes mayhem to the the incoming volleyer who will have no choice but to do a drop volley 90% of the time.

Reactions: dejosav

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Re: Why is the slice so underrented?

I don't know. Why is Davydenko so underrented? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

Actually Murray has quite a nice slice. IMO at least.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts

Most players just use the slice as a form of defence.

Roddick tries to use it like Federer but as you said he fails.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

allez tsonga's slice dropped too short

fed's slice dropped too short

hungry djokovic ate slice with his monstrous two handed backhand down the line.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts

allez tsonga's slice dropped too short

fed's slice dropped too short

hungry djokovic ate slice with his monstrous two handed backhand down the line.
:yeah:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

I bet these dapper chaps could demonstrate a fine tutorial on the proper application of backspin in a fine game of lawn tennis.

This age of tennis gladiators is incomparable to the days of yore, what with their grunting and sweating, a right bunch of savages they look!

I yearn for a return to proper tennis competition, none of these grizzly and gratuitous rallies, simple chip, charge, ands slice will suffice to peak my interest.

All but the uneducated heathen knows a proper point should not extend beyond eight seconds, any more and your likely to look the fool, and maybe get a jolly good rogering from your chums back at the clubhouse!

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts

Why is the slice underrented? Because it's a steal of a deal, and people wanted to BUY it!

·
Registered
7,266 Posts

Thing is at this AO the balls were too heavy. I think that's why Fed was hitting the backhand more instead of just slicing.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts

I bet these dapper chaps could demonstrate a fine tutorial on the proper application of backspin in a fine game of lawn tennis.

This age of tennis gladiators is incomparable to the days of yore, what with their grunting and sweating, a right bunch of savages they look!

I yearn for a return to proper tennis competition, none of these grizzly and gratuitous rallies, simple chip, charge, ands slice will suffice to peak my interest.

All but the uneducated heathen knows a proper point should not extend beyond eight seconds, any more and your likely to look the fool, and maybe get a jolly good rogering from your chums back at the clubhouse!
:haha: :rolls: :haha:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts

Have a look at that saucy minx standing second from the right. If her hemline had been any higher, her knickers would've been exposed!

For shame!

·
Banned
1,026 Posts

Thing is at this AO the balls were too heavy. I think that's why Fed was hitting the backhand more instead of just slicing.
Very true, unfortunately.
It is not underrated, it is very important shot tacticaly.
When playing big hitters , it is very clever shot especially on clay since it is changing the pace off and if played good it is not a defensive shot.
Fed used it extremely well in the finals in US Open final 2007, putting it inside the court ,very low so The Faker could not played his game at all.
This year in the semi's he played that shot in extremely rare moments, frankly I do not know why!
He didn't played it in AO at all, probably because the balls were too bad after 2-3 games.
Gonzo is playing it too often for my standards, though it is not that good as he or Larry S. think it is. He is playing it very strangely and after it the ball is bouncing too high!!!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though I think the slice has become the forgotten thing everyone is trying to use again in the past couple of years after Federer started killing people with it. In fact I think Federer now employs his "pull them in with a slice" tactic too habitually and some players are getting used to it.

·
Registered
26,146 Posts

Other players who are well known for their great backhand slice: Philipp Petzschner (just look at my avatar) and Ivan Miranda

·
Registered
7,266 Posts

Steffi Graff had a Good slice. Those days the tennis standards on WTA weren't as bad as today where it's all about hitting the crap out of the ball. You would expect girls to play graceful tennis but jeez :eek:

·
Registered
955 Posts

According to dictionary.com underrented isn't a word. :wavey:

It's underrated, fool! :rolleyes:

I believe under-rented is the appropriate word. And this brings to me the idea that every shot of every match is a temporarily rented tool from the rich treasure of Tennis . . . . .:):):)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

Dancevic has a very good slice, proble is that he's overusing it

·
Registered
5,712 Posts

Underrated. :yes:

I adore the slice backhand. It was the first shot I ever tried doing consistently, which resulted in me hitting a lot of accidental drop shots. That used to piss my friends off quite a lot.

1 - 20 of 400 Posts