Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Just wait another 10 years, they will overtake them by then.

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
3,918 Posts
The best players after the Big 3 are Wawrinka, Murray, Thiem.
Thiem will win more grand Slams.

The young players will win Grand Slams when the big 3 are injured or retired.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough, IMO, is that the big3 don't simply rest on their laurels waiting to be overtaken but then nobody comes. They keep evolving. They take advantage of their experience and further develop and adjust their game in order to make up for deficiencies that stem from their aging. And being as incredibly talented as they all are, they have been very successful at that task as well.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I don't think it matters. The Big 3 are a completely different breed. Forget the consolidation of court conditions, forget the raquet technologies, forget all the social media.

You don't get to become a double-digits slam winner just by training for it. You've got to be born with something really special and something really hungry and an awesome convergence of happenstances that leads you into the heights that Fedalovic live in.

Personally, I think it will take a while before someone comes along that will match the success we all got used to.
This is spot on. I think this generation is the most primed to take over and Djokovic and the others have shown signs of vulnerablity but they have raised their game when they needed to (especially Nole)

I also don't think the young players are good enough yet.. mentally or talented, tatics etc. You watch that match closely and its clear that Nole was going to win even without a mental breakdown from Med. his forehand isn't good enough in rallies and he's awful at net. Every player has flaws but the greats expose them more clearly and they have the mental edge because they are used to winning when they don't play perfect.

The only way that changes is if someone comes along and is a special talent that can beat the greats, when it matters, consistently.

·
Registered
732 Posts
He started licking Djokovic's arse right away on the presentation podium itself. It's disgusting. With that mentality, no wonder he put on such a pathetic display in the final.

Just take your fucking plate, and just leave, Medvedev.

Yes it was absolutely pathetic the way he crawled around Djokovic after the match and then in his post match interview. I've no respect for him at all. I'm annoyed with myself for thinking he would pose any kind of threat.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, big 3 are insanely good but it is still this total lack of champion mentality from the rest that annoys me. Yes, big 3 can be beaten in slams but I just can't imagine any of them losing a slam final unless they play each other of course. The muggy fifth set of USO final last year and this pathetic performance by Medvedev just confirms it.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Yes it was absolutely pathetic the way he crawled around Djokovic after the match and then in his post match interview. I've no respect for him at all. I'm annoyed with myself for thinking he would pose any kind of threat.
Yes, big 3 are insanely good but it is still this total lack of champion mentality from the rest that annoys me. Yes, big 3 can be beaten in slams but I just can't imagine any of them losing a slam final unless they play each other of course. The muggy fifth set of USO final last year and this pathetic performance by Medvedev just confirms it.
Talking about winning a slam final like it's essentially no big deal...

I say, it's less about the younger generations being mentally weak, but rather about old champions having awesome mental sturdiness, against which everybody else can't quite compare. I'm sure many will agree, the Big 3 success has distorted our views on how extraordinary winning a slam is, let alone multiple, and accordingly, so have our expectations.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I don't think it matters. The Big 3 are a completely different breed. Forget the consolidation of court conditions, forget the raquet technologies, forget all the social media.

You don't get to become a double-digits slam winner just by training for it. You've got to be born with something really special and something really hungry and an awesome convergence of happenstances that leads you into the heights that Fedalovic live in.

Personally, I think it will take a while before someone comes along that will match the success we all got used to.
Been saying this for a while now. The big 3 are just at a different level than anyone else.

It's not as simple as looking at their age either because they continue to evolve their games and get better in other areas as their movements slows a little.

So combine them continuing to find ways to improve and their experience/mental fortitude and it is asking for a lot for one of these young guys to overtake them.

No one can expect to win an AO right now because you have the AO goat still around and playing very well, same goes to Rafa at RG, Novak and Fed at WB and all 3 of them at USO.

It is a major uphill battle to dethrone these guys and will continue to be until they decline heavily physically or just retire all together.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I agree with others that the big 3 are simply in another league, it is as simple as that. This is why you should enjoy the tennis those legends are giving us whilst it lasts - regardless of which specific member of the big 3 you support.

However, to be fair, Medvedev has only had four full seasons on tour so far and has made 2 slam finals, won 1 ATP Finals and won 3 masters. After his first 4 full years on the pro tour, Djokovic also had 2 slam finals, 1 ATP Finals trophy and 4 Masters 1000s. The only real difference was that Novak won one of the two Slam finals he made, but he faced Tsonga in that final whereas Daniil has had to face two of the top 3 players of all time in his Slam finals. Federer in fact had just one slam final (although he won it) and one Masters title at the equivalent point in his career - but again did not have to face some of the greatest ever in the final to do it.

·
justice for all
16,898 Posts
At this stage it's already no less but depressing.

Sure, the BIG3 are from another league but come on, they are well past 30 vs the players who are in their primes. They look like they don't even believe in themselves.

Worrying stuff.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Jolyon said:

He started licking Djokovic's arse right away on the presentation podium itself. It's disgusting. With that mentality, no wonder he put on such a pathetic display in the final.

IINM, he was groveling equally if not more to Nadal after the USO19 meltdown even after being in a position from comeback in that 5th set. And even after AO19 & 3 in a row now, Nadbots still won't give credit where it's due to the AO king.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
They just aren't very good. I grew up watching the big 4 in their prime and these new kids are just rubbish and lacking in any kind of charisma. Zverev's game is only good for curing insomnia and the rest are pretty boring to watch.
Bingo, when i’m having a case of it, will remember to dial up one of his matches.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
It took an Injurer , a Coronadal and a Ballthroatovic for them to grasp one , it's astonishing in tennis history .
And than it still was;

Thiem: You take it
Zverev: No you take it
ETC. It was a case of who was choking more.

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
716 Posts
They are not weak, it's just that the Big 3 are superhuman.

NextGen players are not extraordinary, but they are not terrible either. If Big 3 have retired/seriously declined a couple of years ago as normal people would (see Wawrinka and Murray, for example), the NextGen players would already be divvying up the Slams amongst themselves. Thiem/Medvedev/Tsitsipas and co. would have a couple of Slams each, and we would already be discussing who of them will be a future ATG.

As is right now, Federer looks to be done winning Slams, but Nadal and Djokovic are not. If they avoid injuries, it's bad news for Next Gen in the next couple of years. Avoiding injuries won't be easy though, especially for Nadal, given his style of play and age. Djokovic does seem to get hurt from time to time, but given his obsession with nutrition, training and flexibility, he actually might outlast Federer. Both Nadal and Djokovic are declining physically, but their peak level is sooo high up there that even declined they are at least competitive if not straight-up dominating the Next Gen. Not to mention that even with physical decline, they are STILL improving their game (see Djokovic's serve and net play, for example), even at their age. And they have a HUGE mental advantage over Next Gen whenever they square up on the court with them.

So yeah, NextGen is about as good as Hewitt/Safin/Roddick generation, nothing out of this world, but not exactly mugs either.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Jolyon said:

IINM, he was groveling equally if not more to Nadal after the USO19 meltdown even after being in a position from comeback in that 5th set. And even after AO19 & 3 in a row now, Nadbots still won't give credit where it's due to the AO king.
You could maybe argue that he went too far, but that is the whole point of these post match speeches is to say good things about the opponent, sponsors, organizers, your own team, ball kids, etc. It's really not any different for most players.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
You could maybe argue that he went too far, but that is the whole point of these post match speeches is to say good things about the opponent, sponsors, organizers, your own team, ball kids, etc. It's really not any different for most players.
It's really simple. If you really perform badly in a slam final, and give up fighting after one set, the last thing you should do is abase yourself in front of your victor.

How could any opponent ever have respect for Medvedev again?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts