Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, we've been waiting years and years for them to take over after the Big 3, without any success at Slams. At least until the last year or so when "next gen", 27 year old Thiem finally beat Nadal at AO. Then of course he lost the final to Djokovic even though being up 2 sets to 1. Then we witnessed the choke festival in the US Open final later that year. If the Big 3 have nerves of steel... the next gen doesn't have any nerves at all.

This was evident in this tournament as well when Fritz blew it against an injured Djokovic. Zverev? Do I need to say anything more? Then, the player who seems to be the most mentally capable of all, just faded in the final. Medvedev can't blame it on being tired. And if he was, what does that say about his fitness and commitment?

It has to be said though, Djokovic played excellent and probably wouldn't have lost anyway, but this lack of champions' mentality from almost every player born 1990 and onwards is quite disturbing to watch. They grow up with social media nowadays, not focusing 100% on tennis. When Novak Djokovic was 6-7 years old he said his goal was to be number 1 in the world and he didn't focus on anything else. All the current and coming generation care about are likes on social media it seems. Or something else, because they certainly don't invest 100 % in their tennis. It's no surprise that even with age wearing the Big 3 down, no one else has taken over yet. 33, 34 and 39 years old. Think about that.

Do you guys agree?

Video of Djokovic's performance and Medvedev's lack of performance:

·
Registered
14,791 Posts
They just aren't very good. I grew up watching the big 4 in their prime and these new kids are just rubbish and lacking in any kind of charisma. Zverev's game is only good for curing insomnia and the rest are pretty boring to watch.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They just aren't very good. I grew up watching the big 4 in their prime and these new kids are just rubbish and lacking in any kind of charisma. Zverev's game is only good for curing insomnia and the rest are pretty boring to watch.
Of course they aren't as good when it comes to pure tennis either. But with age wearing the Big 3 down, at least when it comes to their movement, the guys 20-29 should be closer than what they are. But more than all, they lack the mentality in my opinion. If they only had that, we've could be looking at Thiem having two Grand Slam titles, Zverev maybe 1 title, Medvedev 1 etc.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
There is not one all-rounder among them, who can play on all surfaces; hard, clay, and grass. The Big 3 can play and win and have won majors on all surfaces.

Show me one player among Next Gen who can win majors on all surfaces? Thiem? Zverev? Definitely not Medvedev, who is pathetic at the net (i.e., Wimbledon) and never went past the first round at RG.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
I don't think it matters. The Big 3 are a completely different breed. Forget the consolidation of court conditions, forget the raquet technologies, forget all the social media.

You don't get to become a double-digits slam winner just by training for it. You've got to be born with something really special and something really hungry and an awesome convergence of happenstances that leads you into the heights that Fedalovic live in.

Personally, I think it will take a while before someone comes along that will match the success we all got used to.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Med's "performance" here was a disgrace.
I wonder what he's going to say about it.
Total implosion.

Med and THiem are certainly better than anything Gen useless had to offer: Dimtrov, Nishikori, Raonic.

Well Big 2 (Fed is uncertain at this point) are something else, and can still fend off the young ones.
But this was a debacle!

·
Banned
19,217 Posts
We really only have Tsitsipas and Sinner.

Stef is clueless against Med but can actually beat the Big 3 and Novak.

Thiem too on/off sadly

·
Registered
740 Posts
Uncertainty in society and civilization.

No incentive to be great. As a famous man, you are always a target and one step away from losing your career in disgrace.

'Future is female' culture has sent a message very clearly to men to stand back- that they will only be supporting actors in the future.

Young men in general are looking inwards and not thinking too much about striving for the greater collective.

Add to that the fact that attention spans have gotten shorter in the social media age. Not as much focus and discipline.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
At this point it's very worrying. Athletes are aging much more gracefully in sports these days and it's expected for the Big 3 (Big 2 these days) to keep winning into their 30s. But they aren't just winning. They are winning everything. At least everything that is important. An ATG level player from the younger generations should have snatched a final here or there in the past couple of years. At least. The Big 3 are insanely good but players from their own generation came out ahead of them in a couple of slams. So why can't the following generations do it?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Total implosion.

Med and THiem are certainly better than anything Gen useless had to offer: Dimtrov, Nishikori, Raonic.

Well Big 2 (Fed is uncertain at this point) are something else, and can still fend off the young ones.
But this was a debacle!
He started licking Djokovic's arse right away on the presentation podium itself. It's disgusting. With that mentality, no wonder he put on such a pathetic display in the final.

Just take your fucking plate, and just leave, Medvedev.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Total implosion.

But this was a debacle!
Yeah Roger and ND can still fend off anyone. Nadal seems gassed. But after all the big 1 (GOAT Roger ofc) is still in the lead and at this point it is uncertain if anyone can overtake him. Does not look like Nadal will be able to.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Yeah Roger and ND can still fend off anyone. Nadal seems gassed. But after all the big 1 (GOAT Roger ofc) is still in the lead and at this point it is uncertain if anyone can overtake him. Does not look like Nadal will be able to.
Oh yeah Nadal looked really gassed at FO when he beat Djok almost as easily as Djok beat this total mug.
How is Roger still in the lead with 20 slams each to him and Rafa.
Don't bother answering, you're starting to sound like a broken record.

LOL!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Oh yeah Nadal looked really gassed at FO when he beat Djok almost as easily as Djok beat this total mug.
How is Roger still in the lead with 20 slams each to him and Rafa.
Don't bother answering, you're starting to sound like a broken record.

LOL!
Weeks, YE masters? No *record on one surface?

Nobody has Nadal at goat status right now, literally nobody but his fanboys.

Your quoting obsession is unreal when you are faced by arguments.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nadal will pass fed in slams eventually, whether this year or next year he will pass him: he won Roland garros in literally the worst conditions possible for himself. He will push very hard to win it and very well may do this year or next. He will also be a factor at Wimbledon: his last two tries have seen him the semis and he lost to the other big two. This young generation are useless at Wimbledon. They won’t beat him there. And he has 4 us opens so we know he will be a factor there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve been hearing this nonsense about Nadal for over a decade. Apparently he was going to retire by 27, never win a hard court slam, never win more than 10 slams, never catch Fed blar blar. He was also never gonna win a slam again in 2015. 6 slams later here we are.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts