Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't play tennis but am a huge tennis fan.....what I don't understand is why the lob is so seldom used in matches....players are more willing to muscle a pass than to play a lob...seems a more macho thing to do....
is the lob a more difficult move?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Only a few can shot a good lob when the other player is at the net. Some players who hit great lob (specially with his backhands) are Hewitt,Nalbandian,Coria and Grosjean.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Hard to lob players when they are 3m behind the baseline.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes it is.
-You need to get under the ball more than a normal passing shot, ie requires time.
-Lob must land deep, need pace.
-Failed lob -> 99% lost point.
-Failed lob -> adrenaline boost for opponent.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I think nanoman said it all, another thing to mention is that most players at the net are tall guys, so their opponents are more willing to go for a low shot or a lob. But I agree, it's hard to find a good lob these days (like Hewitt's one against Tipsarevic in Las Vegas - play of the week in march)

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
What? Nadal uses the lob on every shot.

Reactions: ReturnWinner

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not so often on his last few matches....and one of his lob was a mis-hit....that was why this question was brought to mind....i'd love him to do even more

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
How many people looked at the word underrated and automatically had their brains translate that to "underrented"? :lol:
Guilty as charged.:sad:

But yeah Nano has it right; you hit an average/poor lob you're nearly guaranteed to lose the point; a mediocre pass on the other hand, especially with today's general net incompetence can keep you in the point, or even outright win it. That's not even mentioning today's improved racket technology which helps you generate the power required even when 1-2m behind the baseline.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Hard to lob players when they are 3m behind the baseline.
Indeed. On another note, it's a lot easier to pass now with the new racquet technology. You see guys hitting with pace on the dead runwhen the ball is 5 inches above the court. Couldn't do that before. Now, if you're not on the dead run and have a good whack at the ball, you can almost always get enough on it to win the point against 99% of the tour because very players have good net coverage skills, instincts or the hands to handle that shot with that type of power. A lob is a much lower % play. Now, if we were playing with wooden racquets...

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
Well its difficult for a player to use the lob when no one is ever at the net.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Justine had a gorgeous lob over Ivanovic in the semis of the WTA. Have seen Fed, Nalby others lob a lot. Also a great defensive play used quite often by one handers. it is impossible to take the high chipped lob early since it arcs so high and then lands deep. quite a beautiful and effective shot

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
watch the haas vs blake match at the U.S open, the fifht set tie breaker, Haas made some great lobs there.
Thats because Haas is a fucken legend.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are most players these days more comfortable hitting an overhead or volleying? Nowadays, as long as you make the net player hit a volley you are going to have second (and probably easier)shot at winning the point. The lob has to be perfect to win the point with the athleticism and height of players currently.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts