Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't new, but it is amazing in reading and reflecting about it, specially Federer coming into light about this recently. That an athlete in a sport who has just completed 30 years, can be considered "old" or near the end of his career. I mean, in which other sport does someone that is around 30 is regarded as being close to the end of his career other than tennis? From the sports that I follow, Football, MMA, F1, basketball and voleyball being around 30 does mean much and actually in most of them is during this period near the 30ties that the athletes will peak.

So why do you guys think that tennis is such a young men sport? My best guess, is that because players compete in such a high level since really young trough out the Juniors, that when they are close to 30s they have a lot of high level competition already on their back already. I know a lot people think it is due to the physicality of Tennis, but I don;t really buy that. I don't think tennis is much harder on the body than Basketball, Football, fighting...

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
I think tennis is actually harder on the body than pretty much any other sport.

Of course various combat sports are as tough but a top fighter might fight 3 times in a year.

There are few other sports that place such a demand on almost every joint in the body and few other sports that are played on such hard and unforgiving surfaces.

Add that to the constant traveling and you have a recipe for short careers.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think tennis is actually harder on the body than pretty much any other sport.

Of course various combat sports are as tough but a top fighter might fight 3 times in a year.

There are few other sports that place such a demand on almost every joint in the body and few other sports that are played on such hard and unforgiving surfaces.

Add that to the constant traveling and you have a recipe for short careers.
I don't think tennis is harder on the body than Football or Basketball, but I agree that the consistency of the schedule the different surfacess and being an individual sport contributes to it.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
I don't think tennis is harder on the body than Football or Basketball, but I agree that the consistency of the schedule the different surfacess and being an individual sport contributes to it.
Tennis has a much shorter off season and it's actually changed since it's more physical, it's taking players longer on the whole to breakthrough

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
There are no teammates to rely on. Can't be substituted. Its all on you to go 100% each point. In team sports if you are having on off day you can lay back and allow your teammates to pick up some slack. Tennis its impossible to do that because that means a sure loss

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
football is tough but in different ways. footballers don't have to worry about shoulder, elbow and wrist injuries for one thing.

with tennis almost every joint in the body is under strain for potentially huge periods of time. other sports don't go on for four hours.

the fact that tennis is asymmetrical also causes problems compared with a sport like basketball. players swinging one arm with such force causes the body huge strain with other joints having to balance and compensate.

football and basketball involve much more natural movements in comparison to tennis and its constant wielding of a large metal stick.

i'm no physiotherapist though so i'm just speculating

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are no teammates to rely on. Can't be substituted. Its all on you to go 100% each point.
True, but still is outstanding to think about it, which other sport is being around 30 considered "old"? can't really think of any other mainstream ones. Perhaps Gymnastics and track and field, I am not sure. Even Marathon runners and Cyclists which are some of the most physical demanding sports in the world, most guys have a lot of success or most of it in their 30s, Armostrong was on his apex winning the tour de frances well into his 30s. Swiming perhaps is a younger man sport.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I dunno.. Hell the guy who just won tour De France was 34 for god sakes.. And this is FAR more physical in terms of preparing, and getting ready for the events and the actual event then tennis is where you get a break every few minutes.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Ok completely sad about Fed's defeat yesterday, but seeing how this is an age thread can we for now say dominant/younger Roger was stronger than dominant/young Novak?

It took novak 5 sets to beat 30 year old roger ...if Novak was playing peak Roger yesterday...i.e. 24 year old Roger Vs 24 year old Novak how many people see the same result?

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Tennis is a reactive sport and your reactions get worse as you get older, and with more wear and tear on the body.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I dunno.. Hell the guy who just won tour De France was 34 for god sakes.. And this is FAR more physical in terms of preparing, and getting ready for the events and the actual event then tennis is where you get a break every few minutes.
Yes it is, cycling is something special

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Tennis is different to most other physical sports. Team sports like basketball and football can't be compared to it, as others have explained.

Going further from this, sports like cycling and swimming require mainly strength, huge physical fitness, natural ability and technique. Tennis requires those things as well as sharp reactions, suppleness of the body, extreme focus (especially due to having to react to whatever your opponent does - which could be unpredictable and varied depending on the different opponents you face) and athleticism. All of which generally deteriorate as you get older. Foot speed is another crucial thing, which peaks for most people at around 22-25 and then goes downhill (lose a step a pace).

When you add all this to the high possibility of injuries due to the strain put on your body and the mental and physical wear and tear over the years from travelling from place to place and competing with other physical specimens just like you on your own without others to fall back on, without many breaks in the year, it's not a surprise players are considered in the twilight of their careers when as young as even 28.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Mid 20s is a normal time to peak in sports that require a lot of physical and mental skills, like tennis, gymnastics, figure skating. In a lot of other sports you don't need to be in your physical prime to still be competitive, because strategy/technique/experience might be enough, or you only need to focus on one thing like endurance.

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Yes it is, cycling is something special
Cycling is at the other end of the spectrum.

A 25-year-old cyclist is considered young, and someone winning anything of significance before they turn 23 (like Peter Sagan now) is something that happens rarely. Cyclists are usually still in their prime when they're 31-32, and some of them even later, like Evans.

It's interesting really, a 27-year-old tennis player is considered oldish, and a 27-year-old cyclist is still young and hasn't usually reached his prime.

I think the reason is the type of physical exercise. In tennis, you pound your body again and again, every single joint. In cycling, it's more anaerobic, it's more about endurance.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Cycling is at the other end of the spectrum.

A 25-year-old cyclist is considered young, and someone winning anything of significance before they turn 23 (like Peter Sagan now) is something that happens rarely. Cyclists are usually still in their prime when they're 31-32, and some of them even later, like Evans.

It's interesting really, a 27-year-old tennis player is considered oldish, and a 27-year-old cyclist is still young and hasn't usually reached his prime.

I think the reason is the type of physical exercise. In tennis, you pound your body again and again, every single joint. In cycling, it's more anaerobic, it's more about endurance.
Cyclists are all juicers. That is just a fact. Well. I mean the top ones anyway...

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
True, but still is outstanding to think about it, which other sport is being around 30 considered "old"? can't really think of any other mainstream ones. Perhaps Gymnastics and track and field, I am not sure. Even Marathon runners and Cyclists which are some of the most physical demanding sports in the world, most guys have a lot of success or most of it in their 30s, Armostrong was on his apex winning the tour de frances well into his 30s. Swiming perhaps is a younger man sport.
For some obvious reasons, i don't think it's a good exemple to bring up.

Cyclists are all juicers. That is just a fact. Well. I mean the top ones anyway...
Yeah, basically

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It took novak 5 sets to beat 30 year old roger ...if Novak was playing peak Roger yesterday...i.e. 24 year old Roger Vs 24 year old Novak how many people see the same result?

That was REALLY weird. :eek: Peak Fed would beat peak Nole easily at the USO. Clearly.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Because Tennis is a physical game that depends on 1 person, it's not a team sport like Cricket or football.

It depends on technique, hand-eye-coordination, physically and mental toughness. All of these begin to fade after about 26 onwards...

If you think you can run 1 mile just as easily at 18 as you do at 30 with the same training you are sadly wrong.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I just think the schedule and ranking system is set up in a way to burn out these players at an early age. I remember at IW, Federer said something about having over 800 matches played in his career. That is just insane.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Are you seriously comparing the athleticism you need to have in basketball compared to tennis? You can be 40 years old in basketball and still have enough left to play.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts