Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While Djokovic is the guy who has the best chance of beating Rafa at the French, I can’t believe the amount of people who genuinely believe he is the favorite. Nadal has won 12, yes 12 French Open titles. How many has Djokovic won? 1. Nadal has never lost in the finals of the French Open either, his record 12-0. That is bonkers. Djokovic on the other hand is 1-3 losing not only to Nadal twice but to Wawrinka from a set up. Nadal is also 6-1 against Djokovic at the French.

So far this tournament Nadal hasn’t lost a set. Djokovic on the other hand lost a set to Carreno Busta then lost a two set lead against Tsitsipas. Djokovic’s level of play this year I feel has been more of a testament to his strength and mentality rather than his true abilities. Played oddly in the AO final where he would have lost to Thiem if his mentality hadn't pulled him through.

The pandemic sliced up the year nicely for him. He then played awfully in Cincy looking knackered against Raonic but won because he has balls 10 times the size of the Canadians. Then he got defaulted. Then he played atrociously in Rome losing sets to Krajinovic and Koepfer before servebotting his way to beating Schwartzman. And this tournament once again, he spends his match against PCB looking like he could retire then he snaps back into action. Rafa won’t fall for this.

I wouldn’t underestimate Novak. After all, he has beaten Nadal at the French Open before and definitely has the belief. I just think people don’t respect Nadal’s true ability at this tournament.

If Djokovic wins, I genuinely believe Nadal will never win a slam again. When Nadal stops winning French Open finals he becomes mortal. I still don’t expect this to happen. Nadal is the favorite despite how people seem to twist it.

·
Registered
10,944 Posts
Rafa is 55-45 favorite .... check the bookies. MTF tards (including myself) would rarely pick the opponent when your player has significant chance.

More than half of the Fedtards as well are picking the “lesser evil” in their minds. As result, Novak leads the MTF poll

·
Registered
10,944 Posts
Djokovic can't even beat Thiem at Roland Garros, Thiem won their last 2 meetings here.
Beating Nadal is a pipe dream.
Novak won their most recent encounter at PC 😛

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be fair, I do think H2H momentum could give Djokovic some hope. Djokovic has won their past 3 slam matches as partially explained by Tennis Passion.

This is less about Djokovic though and more about Nadal. The French is Nadal's turf, it really doesn't need to be said. Djokovic will need to push himself beyond the limit.

·
|
15,026 Posts
Novak won their most recent encounter at PC 😛
2015?
That was all Rafa.
Berdych beat 2015Rafa at the AO 62 60 76.
Murray beat 2015Rafa at Madrid 63 62.
Wawrinka beat 2015Rafa at Rome 76 62.
Fognini beat 2015Rafa at Rio, Barcelona and US Open.
2015Rafa lost to Berrer, Berdych, Fognini (x3), Raonic, Verdasco, Djokovic (x4), Murray, Wawrinka (x2), Dolgopolov, Brown, Nishikori, Lopez, Tsonga, Federer.

·
Banned
11,000 Posts
Ok, Nadal has won 12/12, but this has very little impact on tomorrow's match, not against Djokovic who knows this very well. You are looking way too much in the past. What's more important is the last few h2h matches and while it's true that Nadal prevailed in the last 2 clay matches, the other ones have been routine wins for Djokovic. The Spaniard is not that dominant on clay anymore.
Regarding Nadal not losing a set, this has always been the case. Nadal is more dominant against lower ranked players than Djokovic and Federer are. Again, not that relevant.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Because we are allowed to actually watch matches and base our opinion on that. Saying Nadal is the favourite because he has 12 RG titles compared to Djokovic's 1 has nothing to do with tennis knowledge.

But I don't know what you mean with always. The only time he wasn't the main favourite and he still won was 2014.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It's pretty simple:
1) the conditions neutralize Nadal's spin, which is a key advantage he has on clay
2) Djokovic knows how to beat him and plays him perfectly from a tactical point of view.
3) Djokovic has been playing really well this year and still hasn't lost a complete match. Nadal has been somewhat below average.

It's because of all the credit we give to Nadal's domination at the French that this is still a 50/50 match.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Such polls are almost always about I like this player/I dislike that player. Not to mention Fedtards who probably wouldn't want Nadal equaling Fed's slam count.
that's why every fuckin poll should be public

·
Registered
716 Posts
While Djokovic is the guy who has the best chance of beating Rafa at the French, I can’t believe the amount of people who genuinely believe he is the favorite. Nadal has won 12, yes 12 French Open titles. How many has Djokovic won? 1. Nadal has never lost in the finals of the French Open either, his record 12-0. That is bonkers. Djokovic on the other hand is 1-3 losing not only to Nadal twice but to Wawrinka from a set up. Nadal is also 6-1 against Djokovic at the French.

So far this tournament Nadal hasn’t lost a set. Djokovic on the other hand lost a set to Carreno Busta then lost a two set lead against Tsitsipas. Djokovic’s level of play this year I feel has been more of a testament to his strength and mentality rather than his true abilities. Played oddly in the AO final where he would have lost to Thiem if his mentality hadn't pulled him through.

The pandemic sliced up the year nicely for him. He then played awfully in Cincy looking knackered against Raonic but won because he has bulls 10 times the size of the Canadians. Then he got defaulted. Then he played atrociously in Rome losing sets to Krajinovic and Koepfer before servebotting his way to beating Schwartzman. And this tournament once again, he spends his match against PCB looking like he could retire then he snaps back into action. Rafa won’t fall for this.

I wouldn’t underestimate Novak. After all, he has beaten Nadal at the French Open before and definitely has the belief. I just think people don’t respect Nadal’s true ability at this tournament.

If Djokovic wins, I genuinely believe Nadal will never win a slam again. When Nadal stops winning French Open finals he becomes mortal. I still don’t expect this to happen. Nadal is the favorite despite how people seem to twist it.
I was looking at posts on another forum and was amazed at the amount of people who assume Djokovic is going to win tomorrow. It's as if they are so blinded by their adoration of their chosen one that they don't take account of the facts, namely Rafa's dominance of Roland Garros over 15 years and Djokovic's recent losing record on clay when playing Rafa. Only a fool would discount the king of clay on his own court.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Novak don't have a chance during finals day. It is afternoon during the first time slot. The ball will be bouncing super high even if it is cloudy day.

The reason Novak and Tsitsipas hit laser shots is due to being in the cold night conditions.

Watch the match between Nadal and Diego Schwartsman in the first time slot. The ball is vastly different.

This will be quite ugly. I think Nole take a set and lose the 4th set 6-1.

People underestimate Nadal after watching him in QF and 4R, in finals day he gets his favourite timeslot in the afternoon.

·
Registered
631 Posts
What a ridiculous thread.

When was Nadal EVER underestimated at French Open? Look at the betting odds, he is a 55-45 favorite on Sunday.

If you are looking at the polls here on MTF, they are an extremely inaccurate indicator of who the people really think has a better chance on Sunday.
It's wishful thinking rather than an objective opinion. Nole fans will vote for Nole if they think he has any chance, Nadal fans will always vote for Nadal, and Federer fans may vote for Nole hoping he'll save Federer's GS record for a little longer at least. But when money is involved, people tend to be much more objective.

The tards in both camps are being really ridiculous with the predictions of beatdowns on either side. These are the two greatest players of all time, playing in their 56th match, both playing well, both healthy, and if history is any indication, it should be an epic one. Neither player is going to "humiliate" the other one.

If you are a betting person, put some money on Nole in 5 and also some money on Rafa in 5. You'll be almost guaranteed to win some money that way.

·
Registered
16,925 Posts
Nadal has never lost in the finals of the French Open either
How many 2HBHers did he play there? As we know that in hot conditions OHBHers have no real chance to prevail against shoulder-height balls and his top-spin FH on Philippe Chatrier court.
Just Söderling 1x and Djokovic 2x.
In that year he already figured out the Swede, Djokovic botched it twice (weather and illness helped Nadal though).

This is not to discredit those wins, but belongs to the story, how he achieved those wins.
He is a lefty, generally a bad matchup on clay to almost everyone.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts