Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With form and confidence of last fall he might be heading for embarassment in this exhibition event. Wouldn't he better of plating Auckland or Sidney?

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
With form and confidence of last fall he might be heading for embarassment in this exhibition event. Wouldn't he better of plating Auckland or Sidney?
This is the field for the Kooyong exhibition tournament in Melbourne this week:

ROGER FEDERER (SUI - ranked 1)
ANDY RODDICK (USA – 6)
FERNANDO GONZALEZ (CHI – 7)
DAVID NALBANDIAN (ARG – 9)
ANDY MURRAY (GBR – 11)
TOMMY HAAS (GER – 12)
IVAN LJUBICIC (CRO – 18)
MARAT SAFIN (RUS – 56)

·
Your visions will happen
48,531 Posts
Because he's Marat

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the field for the Kooyong exhibition tournament in Melbourne this week:

ROGER FEDERER (SUI - ranked 1)
ANDY RODDICK (USA – 6)
FERNANDO GONZALEZ (CHI – 7)
DAVID NALBANDIAN (ARG – 9)
ANDY MURRAY (GBR – 11)
TOMMY HAAS (GER – 12)
IVAN LJUBICIC (CRO – 18)
MARAT SAFIN (RUS – 56)

My point excatly. Marat's 56 ranking is generous considering that he barely got points after Wimbeldon

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I don´t think you can embarass yourself in an exhibition tournament. But yeah, Auckland or Sidney probably would have been better preparation. Then again, who knows how serious he is about his tennis anymore...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Because Safin can probably get a good appearance money even if he doesn't play well. I can think of quite a few players who could play some real tournaments before the AO. Then again, it's quite common now that the very top players often play only the mandatory events and their home country tournaments. Maybe some other tournaments as well, if the money is good. Playing a real tournament in hot conditions would be a good idea before the AO.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Cause he is still popular and he is one of the few interesting players left in tennis.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Marat's chances to win more than 1 match at AO are near 0% with or without playing any tune-up events.
Anyway, his results have never depended on his previous matches. In 2005 he was being overpowered by Gisela Dulko at Hopman Cup but won AO three weeks later.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
^ Exactly. Three guaranteed matches.

Also losing to Federer and Nalbandian >>> losing to Jones and Sirianni

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Aaaah, what would that forum be without a thread about Safin on main page...

·
Registered
142 Posts
for marat, i believe nothing is impossible...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts