Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

Registered
No need to be rude, you have no manners.
馃槀

Don鈥檛 try to act innocent, it doesn鈥檛 suit you. Your goal is to provoke and be annoying when you decided to quote my post and mention the serve when I mentioned another factor. So don鈥檛 come to me with this crap.

Registered
Federer's serve is quite hard to read, difficult to be broken and even if one does break him, you would expect him to step up and try to break back at some point. It takes someone like Djokovic to break him from 40-15 for example.

Except Isner is 6'10" and Karlovic is 6"11'.

They are typical servebots.

Federer is 6"1'. To call him a servebot is ignorant, and not just of tennis, but of basic geometry.
Sampras was the same height as Federer, and had an even better serve - arguably the best 1st and 2nd serve of all time.
Not sure how many times he got bagelled though.

1. Everything is a scale.

We can describe "anti-servebot" as someone like a Schwartzman, Nishikori, etc. where their serve is basically not a weapon at all.

We can describe a "servebot" as someone who's serve is a big (and sometimes) main weapon. Isner, Karlovic, and Raonic for example to a slightly lesser degree. Obviously these guys can sometimes do more than serve, but it's useful to have a nickname for these huge servers. Just like pushers (e.g. Simon) aren't pure pushers and are also capable of hitting winners, there's a scale for that too.

I don't think anyone would argue that Federer's serve is far closer to Isner/Karlovic than Schwartzman/Nishikori level.

On a scale from 0-10 with Schartzman being 0 and Isner being 10, Federer is probably somewhere around an 8 or 8.5

Federer's clearly not a pure servebot, but he's much much closer to that than being an anti-servebot
    Nick Kyrgios is also the definition of a servebot, not far off Raonic.
  2. But of course has other skills , as to how he is a better than average player.

Registered
Interesting how Karlobot is not quite as good as Fedbot with only Isner being better. I don't have problems calling Federer one of the greatest servers of all time (as Isner has a claim to being the best ever).

Super Moderator
Sampras was the same height as Federer, and had an even better serve - arguably the best 1st and 2nd serve of all time.
Not sure how many times he got bagelled though.

Sampras was bagelled ten times in a much shorter career. Why so much more than Federer? Make your own conclusions. Six of those on hard plus one carpet, so it wasn't his haplessness on clay that caused the difference. He did get most of them early but then so did Federer.

Registered
Federer has a better serve but he is not a giant. The reason that he doesn't get bageled is that he has better endurance and is more steady in his game. He doesn't go much up and down in the match

61 - 73 of 73 Posts