Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As voted by the players, it looks like the Dubai tournament does an outstanding job for players.
"The Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships ..... collects the ATP World Tour 500 award for a seventh straight year and 11th time overall (2003-06, 2008-14)."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Te...s/2014-ATP-Awards-Tournaments.aspx?print=true
Does anyone know specifically what Dubai does to make it such an overwhelming player favorite? Other tourneys could take note.

Btw, on its facebook page, Dubai mentions a $1,000,000 fan raffle, entered by taking an on-site selfie.
"Be in with the chance to win a ticket to be in the draw to win $1,000,000!
Take a selfie at the DDF stand and tag it ‪#‎DDFmilliondollarfan‬"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dubai-Duty-Free-Tennis-Championships/146132218775533
That's awesome, and more than a little over the top. :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,348 Posts
Probably because it has a few things going for it.

1. Probably the most money funded into it. Probably more than Indian Wells. It's Dubai for crying out loud!
2. It's in Dubai
3. They probably treat the players like Kings and throw lavish parties for all of them.
4. Prize Money.
5. Players are probably paid a lot for participating in all exterior non-tennis events
6. Hot Dubai Women.
7. Beaches upon beaches.
8. Warm Weather
9. Strong Field (probably due to other 8 reasons)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Because Dubai is an awesome place. I spent a semester abroad in Dubai and it was probably the best experience of my life. It's amazing what oil money can do when governments are smart enough to use it sensibly.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Meanwhile the cheap South Asian labor working in slave conditions a few hundred meters away...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Having lived and worked in the Middle East, and made many trips to Dubai, I can attest that the level of service and "customer care" is excellent (asian immigrant workers there would not agree, mind - they are treated appallingly at times). Hotels are luxurious, food amazing, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't buy me love, love
Can't buy me love

I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend if it makes you feel alright
I'll get you anything my friend if it makes you feel alright
Cos I don't care too much for money, and money can't buy me love

Say you don't need no diamond ring and I'll be satisfied
Tell me that you want the kind of thing that money just can't buy
I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

Can't buy me love, everybody tells me so
Can't buy me love, no no no, no

;)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Because they feel that putting a piece of felt over a net makes them worth being treated like kings.

Because they don't care about democracy, human rights in general and women's rights in particular.

In sum, because they are egomaniacs of the highest order.

·
25,425 Posts
Having lived and worked in the Middle East, and made many trips to Dubai, I can attest that the level of service and "customer care" is excellent (asian immigrant workers there would not agree, mind - they are treated appallingly at times). Hotels are luxurious, food amazing, etc, etc.
Yeah, sadly one of the issues Overseas Filipino Workers have working in Middle East is the treatment by their bosses, which sometimes could be inhumane. If you live there though (I know someone who visits there once a year) it seems to be wonderful, especially the high buildings. That being said I wonder if among spectators if it is good. Of course I think the Slams could give better service but Dubai Duty Free seems to be a cool place to shop and drop watching tennis. How much is a ticket here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts