Mens Tennis Forums banner

Why is Dubai only a ATP 500 ...

2270 Views 37 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  oranges
with draw of Djokovic, Federer, Murray, Berdych etc. while Rio with much more pathetic draw also a 500?
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
with draw of Djokovic, Federer, Murray, Berdych etc. while Rio with much more pathetic draw also a 500?
It should be a 1250 in my opinion
No tennis history, inconvenient, country with questionable human rights credentials. And doing well as it is.

Money isn't everything
No tennis history, inconvenient, country with questionable human rights credentials. And doing well as it is.

Money isn't everything
Maybe maybe not. It certainly is doing wonders for Chelsea and ManCity. It could also work in tennis. But yeah. I am not impressed with Dubai... as far as the fans go. But Nole and Federer will keep going there, so we could get some good matches
I don't understand all this recent gossiping about Dubai should be a Ms1000, etc. ... Djokovic has said nice words about Dubai, OK, but no need to take them too seriously.

Dubai doesn't even have the best field among ATP500 tournaments : Beijing is the one which has had the best field for many years already,

especially if you don't only consider the top-players but also the rest of the field.

In Dubai, after the top-4 seeds, the draw wasn't that great, comparing to Beijing or Rotterdam.

Rotterdam lacks top-top-players,

but for several years now Beijing has consistently had Djokovic and Nadal, sometimes Murray.

And Beijing has by far the highest prize fee, and I think also several courts on TV ...

There's already a MS1000 in Shanghai then OK for Beijing being an ATP500 ... but also Dubai, it's the same, doesn't have the draw of a MS1000 tournament outside of Djokovic and Federer.

Even Halle's field in recent years (and the Queens' in previous years) is near to Dubai's and it was an ATP250 tournament until last year (fortunately it has changed this year)

What's true is that among ATP500 tournaments there are clearly some weak ones : Rio-Hamburg-Washington-Acapulco.

And Valencia lacks top-players even if outside them, they clearly have a better field than Basel.
See less See more

Money isn't everything
this. buying out the top players with large prize purses shouldn't magically give a tournament the ability to make itself the most important in the world. if that were the case then the tournaments would almost exclusively exist in USA, China, Germany, etc. :O yawn. history and tennis structure and organization matters a lot to me as a fan personally! and in the past it mattered a lot too. hopefully that doesn't change
I never really get the Dubai hype around here tbh, I've always thought it was a pretty dire tournament myself.
Good question, should be a 250 imo. Ilhan in QF, Coric in SF, small stadium + pathetic crowd.
Reactions: 1
Because of the shrieking lady in the stands during the Federer - Verdasco match which threw Fernando off
Reactions: 1
It should be 2500 points.
lol.
Why wouldn't it be? Why would it be a masters and how many masters do you think there should be in a calender?
I never really get the Dubai hype around here tbh, I've always thought it was a pretty dire tournament myself.
Bud, what don't you get? You get Nole and Fed, no? I sh!t my pants hoping for that match ;)

but, sure Dubai is not Wimbledon
I think it's fine as an ATP 500, it's a decent tournament, field wise decent for an atp 500, but certainly not master caliber. The first 4 seeds are brilliant, but after that, it lacks depth. There is a huge gap. Plus, there are too many HC masters already, we don't need another one. Looking for a grass masters is much more important right now.
Who cares? This tournament is pretty pathetic anyway. Players are only there for the huge money.

I can't see what people see in those asian/arabic tournaments. Tennis should only be played in Europe and America, plus the Australian tournaments to start the year. Shanghai should be demoved from his M1000 status too. Bring us some M1000 on the grass! :smoke:
Who cares? This tournament is pretty pathetic anyway. Players are only there for the huge money.

I can't see what people see in those asian/arabic tournaments. Tennis should only be played in Europe and America, plus the Australian tournaments to start the year. Shanghai should be demoved from his M1000 status too. Bring us some M1000 on the grass! :smoke:
Totally agree.

Mmm, no to the first part. Is that supposed to be snobbish or what?

A resounding yes to the second idea, though.
Mercenary tournament in a joke country. Shouldn't even be a 250.
Mmm, no to the first part. Is that supposed to be snobbish or what?

A resounding yes to the second idea, though.
Nah, no snobbishness.

Lot's of reasons, my mainly restriction are about tournaments on China and those Dubai/Doha tournaments. To mention some of the reasons:

- Countries without tennis tradition.
- Awful quality of the air (in the case of China).
- Tournaments made in dictatorial countries with slave work and financed with money from dubious sources.
- Terrible clock zone.
- Pathetic fangirls screaming during points.

I'm ok with Tokyo Open, could be moved to the start of the year (remove Doha). Extend the grass season and remove the pathetic asian swing between USO and former carpet (today's hard indoor) european season.
Nah, no snobbishness.

Lot's of reasons, my mainly restriction are about tournaments on China and those Dubai/Doha tournaments. To mention some of the reasons:

- Countries without tennis tradition.
- Awful quality of the air (in the case of China).
- Tournaments made in dictatorial countries with slave work and financed with money from dubious sources.
- Terrible clock zone.
- Pathetic fangirls screaming during points.

I'm ok with Tokyo Open, could be moved to the start of the year (remove Doha). Extend the grass season and remove the pathetic asian swing between USO and former carpet (today's hard indoor) european season.
Just wondering how you get a "tennis tradition" if you don't play tennis. I guess all those other countries woke up one day and found they had a tennis tradition, eh? - sent down from the heavens
cause we have enough Masters already, no? It's not like we need another one any time soon.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.