Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of them:

- chased/chasing that elusive RG to complete their career slam
- recieved multiple beatdowns from nadal in RG - who the french crowd absolutely despise
- speak fluent french, communicate with the crowd, something which nadal has never bothered to do despite RG effectively being his 'home' slam, which I'm sure is why the crowd never warmed to him

It boggles my mind how there was so little for support djokovic in the final, they even jeered him just before the last point, which caused him to double fault. You look at any of federer's RG meetings with nadal, and you'll find that the vast majority were pro-federer.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
The French like people that play with flair and guile. That's not even taking into account the fact that Federer is significantly more popular all over the world in the first place.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Thats true. The French prefer people with flair than who give an impression of being a Pusher. Thats one of the reason why Nadal is not as wildly popular even with his Bucket loads of Grand Slams.

Think of Kuerton,Federer,Agassi, All were hugely Popular with the French.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
because Fraud has good PR by faking classiness and built a strong fanbase in weak era.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Part of the reason may be that many more Swiss and Germans attend the FO than Serbians. I thought the ovation Novak got after receiving his trophy was rather moving. Federer has bee around for a long time, and in the weak era, 03-07 that he totally dominated, he was made into a demi god by the likes of Mc Enroe among others. People knew that Roger never would have won a FO had not Soderling played out of his mind one day so that Roger did not have to face Nadal in the final. Also many, like me, prefer his game style more than Rafa's or Novak's.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Don't think pointing out the French here is relevant... you could ask the same question "Why is djokovic nowhere near as popular among the <any_country> crowd as federer?" for just about any country except Serbia.
Heck, you could ask "Why is <any_player> nowhere near as popular among the <any_country> crowd as federer?" for just about any player outside their home country ... and for many of these, Fed would still be more popular even in the players home country.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
A question of style... As strange of it may seem for a people that beheaded so many of them back in the days, the French still value a kind of aristocracy. Success must come without effort, effort is ugly and is the weapon of the weak. Even at school, a kid who works hard is just regarded as not bright enough to succeed without resorting to that infamous treachery. With such a state of mind, obviously players like Federer or his new coach Edberg are revered. So is Kuerten, because for all his grunting he always had that "cool" attitude. Agassi might be an exception, it's true that he was always very popular even though I personally never really liked him. But then, is there a single country where "Nikegassi" is not greatly popular?

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Federer is the most popular player in front of any crowd usually, except maybe when he plays local players (and even then sometimes he's the favorite). The reason is his game, it's so beautiful and effortless.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Thats true. The French prefer people with flair than who give an impression of being a Pusher. Thats one of the reason why Nadal is not as wildly popular even with his Bucket loads of Grand Slams.

Think of Kuerton,Federer,Agassi, All were hugely Popular with the French.
Because people like beautiful tennis and no one plays like as Federer does . It is not about only winning
but how you win and show to the world how great your sport is. That is what Federer does with grace,divine influence and dignity. You could see in his match with Gulbis when Gulbis took a fake MTO . Federer knew it was fake and did not react as Wawrinka did it at AO vs Nadal, Everyone was talking about Federer that he is a GOAT a long time before he had won his GS's. Nadal has not played a great match for a long time. But Federer has done it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Both of them:

- chased/chasing that elusive RG to complete their career slam
- recieved multiple beatdowns from nadal in RG - who the french crowd absolutely despise
- speak fluent french, communicate with the crowd, something which nadal has never bothered to do despite RG effectively being his 'home' slam, which I'm sure is why the crowd never warmed to him

It boggles my mind how there was so little for support djokovic in the final, they even jeered him just before the last point, which caused him to double fault. You look at any of federer's RG meetings with nadal, and you'll find that the vast majority were pro-federer.
1. Djokovic doesn't speak fluent French.
2. Federer is/was a better and more dominant player.
3. Unlike Americans and British, French people can't be fooled by someone trying too much to be funny or class. It has to come naturally.
4. Marketing: I mean look at Djokovic style, he's like a light pole with a lot of cheap brand stickers on it.
5. Are you really comparaing Djokovic to Federer?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
All the top pros have a PR strategy, they want to appear nice and likeable, because more public sympathy means more sponsor contracts and more $$. But with Djoko these attempts to hide his natural arrogance seem more artificial than with Federer. People sense that.

Djoko's game is also much more physical than Federer's. In tennis, people generally prefer the artist over the athlete.

And I think nationality also plays a certain role. The Swiss are the eternally neutral, while Serbs were part of a recent war, where they were often portrayed as the bad guys.

The fact that Rafa received more support than Djoko in the final actually shows how much Djoko is disliked, because Rafa has never been a crowd favourite in Paris.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Comparing Federer to any player popularity wise is so stupid.Federer is vastly more popular than Nole and add to it the flair in Fed's game.It's not a surprise at all that Nole isn't liked as much as Fed is in France.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
All the top pros have a PR strategy, they want to appear nice and likeable, because more public sympathy means more sponsor contracts and more $$. But with Djoko these attempts to hide his natural arrogance seem more artificial than with Federer. People sense that.

Djoko's game is also much more physical than Federer's. In tennis, people generally prefer the artist over the athlete.

And I think nationality also plays a certain role. The Swiss are the eternally neutral, while Serbs were part of a recent war, where they were often portrayed as the bad guys.

The fact that Rafa received more support than Djoko in the final actually shows how much Djoko is disliked, because Rafa has never been a crowd favourite in Paris.
That's also true, and the fact that both of them fit well with the image these stereotypes to French people. To help you understand, I will try to illustrate the perception that the French have of the two players. This is barely caricatural.

Federer:
http://www.photos-de-montres.com/galeriemontres/albums/patek/2010/PatekPhilippe_ChronoRef517.jpg

Djokovic:
http://www.minutebuzz.com/insolite--carte-postale-20-photos-de-la-russie-royaume-du-wtf/2/

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Since when do "The French" have one united viewpoint on players?

Why the generalisation of what "the French" like?

At best, you could argue about the Parisian RG crowd but even that would be a generalisation.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts