13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AO SF Wawrinka - 6-0
AO final Murray - 6-0
IW F Federer - 6-2
MIA R2 Klizan - 6-1
MIA R4 Dolgo 6-0
MIA F Murray - 6-0

One exception - Dubai, Tbird 6-4 (bagel was in the first set this time..)

In all those matches he's lost a set and he finished it with bakery or close. How does he do that? What is the reason?

Is it only fitness, is it mainly mental, or is his max peak so much above the others, that he would compensate a momental drop in form or concentration during the match with a display of his best and annihilate the opponent every time?

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
He realizes that he actually has to win the last set, so he tries then.

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
Part of it is that he often just starts playing better, but even more of it is that he wears on most of his opponents physically and mentally to the point that they lose any belief they once had.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It's just further proof of the lack of mental strength of the ATP players tbh. Federer probably gave in to physical fatigue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Many will just pass it off as simply fitness but there is a huge mental aspect to this as well. A lot of these final sets come after him losing the previous one in bad/horrible fashion and he should be dejected. Amazingly though he just erases it from memory keeps coming back. I've been very impressed of late.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
You mean 12USO, 13RG, 14AO?

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
Can't wait for the tasty final set bagel in the RG final.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
He lost too many close matches in the past that he should have won so he decides to finally get his shit together and give it his all.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
I have to say that I think a lot of these had a close first game in the last set, which Djokovic ends up winning. Then opponent breaks down from there. Both mentally and physically.

·
Registered
19,632 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
He just breaks them mentally once the set starts, and they realize he is not going anywhere. Then usually follows a close game which he wins and from that moment he just trounces them. Really I feel sorry for all those players, it is such a tasking effort to just grab the second set

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
pretty weird stat tho, unusual.

Like if he drops the level to recuperate and then goes all guns blazing. Succeeds every time.

When is the last time he lost a third (4th, 5th) set in a tight match?

He seems to win everything longer than 2

Also forgot to add Kei's bagel from WTF, coming in third set as well, ssame scenario, quite sick

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Because he usually messes up in the sets before that and just gets pissed off and plays better and at his actual,real level.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
AO SF Wawrinka - 6-0
AO final Murray - 6-0
IW F Federer - 6-2
MIA R2 Klizan - 6-1
MIA R4 Dolgo 6-0
MIA F Murray - 6-0

One exception - Dubai, Tbird 6-4 (bagel was in the first set this time..)

In all those matches he's lost a set and he finished it with bakery or close. How does he do that? What is the reason?

Is it only fitness, is it mainly mental, or is his max peak so much above the others, that he would compensate a momental drop in form or concentration during the match with a display of his best and annihilate the opponent every time?
Because he is the best player in the world. That is why.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
How did the guy with the weakest stamina in the top 100, become the guy who can dominate, late in a match, against the best players ?

1) He went Gluten free ?
2) He started to use the Egg ?
3) A miraculous, mid-20s change in his personality, so that what was a weak-minded man, became a mental-giant (a person's personality is normally cemented by the age of 5) ?

I have no clue. :confused:

But I am sure that his fans can come up with many "reasons".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts