Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
King Of Tennis
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He seems to have a large hate base on MTF already.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Slavophobia. Like Raonic.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,241 Posts
I don't like the term hate, a bit strong. Personally I don't find his style of play that appealing - a bit too defensive.
Probably some people don't like his comments (Djokovic - Murray comparisons, 'best of my generation') and that he beat a terrible Nadal and Murray. That I agree with - it sort of inflates his status a bit when he would lose simply if they were playing seriously and 'on'. The draws are sort of working for him too, never gets a really tough opponent in R1 of a lot of events.
I say give him a chance to develop, 18 is still very young and going far in tournaments or even capturing an ATP title at that age is very hard to do. The last 18 year old to win an ATP title is Nishikori, who was ranked under 100, and he beat some tough players, including Sam Querrey and James Blake back to back from qualies to do so. In a few years time, we'll see where Coric is at, same with the other youngsters.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
He pretty much attracted the ire of every single big 4 fanbase due to either something he said (the djokovic/murray comparisons) or something he did on the court (beating nadal). There's no other way to incur the wrath of such frivolous human beings.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
He seems to have a large hate base on MTF already.
All the young up and comers seem to have a hater base here - anyone who threatens the status quo (however inevitable it is that it cannot continue!) won't be liked by those who hope that the golden age can go on forever I guess.

But I suspect the vibe mainly comes from five things:

1. The impatience factor.

We all know the big 1/2/3/4 can't endure forever (and it is getting boring seeing endless reruns of the same finals combos imo) and would like to see some serious contenders, and we want to see them right now. And no one is looking good on that front, so Coric and others keep being held to an impossible standard.

2. Difficulty of picking potential.

Easy to look at someone's game and assess where it is now; much harder to assess who has the potential to really develop, so easier to write them off. It seems players have to win everything now and drop onto the court fully formed or else they are dead meat for some.

3. The fine line between necessary self-belief and arrogance.

Easy for the up and comers to get it wrong in their public presentation of themselves, and Borna did.

4. Beating Nadal.

Kyrgios still has haters for exactly the same reason.

5. Inconsistency

It is inevitable that young players won't be able to maintain the same level of consistency as (most of those) at their prime. Which I suspect means some of the gamblers have lost a bit of money on him here and there...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
1) He has been, for unknown reason (junior achievements are different story, he is not the only one who has GS win, continental u-18 championships or youth olympics medals, etc), favoured by receiving wild cards to different tournaments (being held outside Croatia!), where other players similiary ranked could only think about geting in via qualies. Worth mentioning, he has done nothing special on Challenger Tour to be treated like that (only 1 tournament won)
2) He is way too confident, and his words are disrespectful to other players and their teams, fans etc.
3) His every loss tempers guys like svenbj :devil:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I think Nadal and Djokovic fans should support him.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Maybe because he is the blueprint for the new generation of players who follow in the tradition of safe play, supported by great physicality even at age 18. Just guessing.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
because he thinks he is a tennis god when he has achieved nothing so far

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
Some of the fans of other young players are annoyed he has achieved so much at a young age while their favourites are failing to make the same impact. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
1) He has been, for unknown reason (junior achievements are different story, he is not the only one who has GS win, continental u-18 championships or youth olympics medals, etc), favoured by receiving wild cards to different tournaments (being held outside Croatia!), where other players similiary ranked could only think about geting in via qualies. Worth mentioning, he has done nothing special on Challenger Tour to be treated like that (only 1 tournament won)
Hasn't received that many wildcards as far as I can see - pretty much the same as all of the young up and comers have received.

Some of the fans of other young players are annoyed he has achieved so much at a young age while their favourites are failing to make the same impact. :shrug:
Rubbish. Firstly let me point out the obvious in that he hasn't actually achieve all that much as yet beyond being the second teen to make it into the top 100 off that Basel run. In terms of actual results, has an SF in a 250; Zverev has a semi of a 500 to his name. A whole one match win at a GS so far, now two Masters match wins.

I personally don't think there is much to separate any of them at the moment in terms of results, and the balance between them is likely to change rapidly over the next week/few months anyway as they all get over the line and main draw entry. The win loss percentages for Coric and Kokkinakis for example are almost identical - 16-21 tour win-loss vis 19-24 for Coric before Miami (though the Kokk two slam match wins to Coric's one, and 3 masters wins to Coric's now 2).

More fundamentally, I don't think the hate is coming from supporters of other young gun guns in the main. I for one am egging them all on, can't wait to see them overtake generation useless.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
he's not more hated than what would be the sanitary minimum for such a diverse and hateful by default forum.

He will need at least a few more interviews, some in-the-face celebrations, some grunting and some more defensive tennis to reach what we would consider a medium level of hatred in MTF.

·
29,710 Posts
He's quite cocky and outspoken and full of himself (which I actually don't mind at all) but all the holier than thou's get pissed off over it.

I think he's a bit overrated talent-wise though, he seems like a rock solid baseliner but without any particularly standout money shots. Still, he'll reach at least the top 10.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
He has a cocky mentality when he's achieved fuck all that's why.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts