Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the courts playing faster? Bouncing lower?

Seems like big serving and attacking play is carrying the day with most matches and more so than it has done in recent years.

Is there a reason for this or have Nadal and Murray just had off days against someone on their game?

Looking at the draw Raonic in a semi, Krygios beating Nadal, Dimitrov thrashing Murray and Fed relying on his serve to get through Wawrinka. Feels more like Wimbledon of old.
I suppose Djokovic is very likely to win the thing but he looked in trouble at times against Cilic - more so than I would have expected.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Attacking tennis has always been successful at Wimbledon. Federer has never lost to anyone other than Nadal (Who imparts amazing topspin to counter his attack and break his single handed backhand down), Berdych, Tsonga and Stakovsky.

So Federer has only ever lost to attacking players at Wimbledon, during or even before his prime started in 2004. :yeah:

Wimbledon has been the same pace since 2003. :yeah:

He beat Djokovic at Wimbledon and Murray. That is why I am confident that he will win his eighth Wimbledon title and 18th grandslam title. :yeah:

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
What a question.. attacking tennis has always been successful here.

This year is no different.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Why Spaniards and Italians failed so badly in World Cup?

·
10,281 Posts
The real question is: When did you start watching Wimbledon :lol:

This surface is made for fast paced tennis.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

·
Registered
21,399 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
It was way faster last year and maybe there was some carryover this year. Certainly a lot of tiebreaks.

Green Clay was more in the 2005-2012 range. Seemed to get slower every year.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
It was way faster last year and maybe there was some carryover this year. Certainly a lot of tiebreaks.

Green Clay was more in the 2005-2012 range. Seemed to get slower every year.
Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. You have no proof to suggest this other than the fact Nadal and Djokovic were able to win Wimbledon a combined three times between them. Please stop talking nonsense.

Federer beat Murray in 2012. He beat Nadal in 2006 and 2007. Safin was a semi-finalist in 2008. If you wanna use the fact Nadal and Djokovic are Wimbledon champions to suggest it was slow from 2005-2012, then start looking at the results of other players whom were aggressive equally also. Otherwise your assessment is pathetic.

·
Registered
767 Posts
the bounce is lower, that's all even if grass is slower, there is less time for defending and lifting

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Oh and let's not forget Berdych the final in 2010, Tsonga the semi-final in 2011 and 2012 :lol: Yeah, the grass used to be SO slow man. Yeah. :facepalm:

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
the bounce is lower, that's all even if grass is slower, there is less time for defending and lifting
The bounce has always been low. Federer is just played much better than last year and thus didn't lose to a Stakovsky this time around.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The bounce has always been low. Federer is just played much better than last year and thus didn't lose to a Stakovsky this time around.
i mean lower on grass than clay or hard, this is why the attacking tennis is still so successful at wimbledon (and not only this one)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Because it is grass, you must play offensive tennis, also after all this Wimby had record for tie-breaks so rally offensive game prevails here.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. You have no proof to suggest this other than the fact Nadal and Djokovic were able to win Wimbledon a combined three times between them. Please stop talking nonsense.

Federer beat Murray in 2012. He beat Nadal in 2006 and 2007. Safin was a semi-finalist in 2008. If you wanna use the fact Nadal and Djokovic are Wimbledon champions to suggest it was slow from 2005-2012, then start looking at the results of other players whom were aggressive equally also. Otherwise your assessment is pathetic.
I never mentioned Djokovic or Nadal winning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soJ_FVnijAw

If you didn't notice that the courts were faster last year I don't know what to say. It was obvious.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
they should replace clay for grass, there are just amazing matches opposed to that shitty slam we had last month.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts