Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He hasn't look all that great at all compared to last year. He escaped Australia by the skin of his teeth, while last year he was an assassin destroying everything in his path. Hes looked more frustrated, out of form, and a clear drop in his play since last year. Has the grind caught up to him?

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
This is his normal level :shrug:

What it has been for about 4-5 years, he just had one superstar year when nothing went wrong. Luckily for him, the others aren't as good anymore

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
This is his normal level :shrug:

What it has been for about 4-5 years, he just had one superstar year when nothing went wrong. Luckily for him, the others aren't as good anymore
This. He was playing above his head last year.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
He pushed himself to the limit last year. Maybe mentally tired....

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
He was never going to sustain that level.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The hate on MTF never ceases to amaze me. He has only completed two tournaments this year, one of which was a GS win and the other of which was a SF loss to Murray in an event that everyone shows up to solely for the appearance fees, and now his entire 2012 is a disaster compared to last year. Any player would love to start a year with the results that Nole has had, and yet MTF finds a way to even shit all over the best player and AO champion in March.

Wish I could say I was surprised.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
no egg

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
The hate on MTF never ceases to amaze me. He has only completed two tournaments this year, one of which was a GS win and the other of which was a SF loss to Murray in an event that everyone shows up to solely for the appearance fees, and now his entire 2012 is a disaster compared to last year. Any player would love to start a year with the results that Nole has had, and yet MTF finds a way to even shit all over the best player and AO champion in March.

No one is shitting on him. He just isn't playing as well as last year, quite clearly. Personally, I never expected him to. 2011 was never likely to be repeated.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Oh, and if this thread is based upon him losing the first set to Isner: Everyone has an off day, and Isner serves really hard and is difficult to play against for anyone if you are unfamiliar with Big John.

·
Banned
10,825 Posts

This is so silly. lol. Come on guys you have to get real!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think the only HUGE difference is confidence. Those losses at the end of the season last year may have shaken his confidence slightly, and the only thing that kept his level to incredibly high and consistent was confidence. I don't think his actually skill level has dropped at all. Frustration has been a usual in his matches. All players get frustrated, some just show it more than others. I think he has just come to the realization that he is vulnerable. That realization coupled with some rather unrealistic expectations for another perfect season cause that frustration.

I don't think he has necessarily dropped in playing level. I think he just realizes that one can only be immortal for so long. With that realization, a tiny bit of confidence disappears, enough to prevent him from pulling 100% of tough situations out of his ass.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
He hasn't look all that great at all compared to last year. He escaped Australia by the skin of his teeth, while last year he was an assassin destroying everything in his path. Hes looked more frustrated, out of form, and a clear drop in his play since last year. Has the grind caught up to him?
Because you can't play like Novak did in 2011 all your career :wavey:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
He cant dominate for 4-5 years grinding, I havent heard of anyone ever done that.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
:lol: He played 2 tournaments and won the only one that mattered. Last year to prove himself, go up the rankings and start building up confidence he had to win the minor tournaments as well. This year he knows very well when he wants to peak. And it's not now.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Just not as interested in the lesser events. He's won 4 of the last 5 slams, all his focus is on Roland Garros, then the Grand Slam.

Until he plays like this in a slam, nothing of importance has changed.

·
Banned
10,825 Posts

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Ya this is quite a bit of an overreaction. He won the most important event, and he merely lost 2 smaller events in the SFs. He just needs to focus on the slams and maybe keep his number one ranking. It isn't like Murray losing in his first match. Now if that were to happen, such a thread like this would be reasonable.

Either way, the players he has lost to this year, Murray and Isner, are the exact types of players he doesn't want to face. Nothing special.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts