Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure when he had his 2014 breakthrough - the Murray match in Rotterdam, the Wawrinka match in Madrid to name but a few examples - he was serving pretty well. Much more powerfully than now, but still waywardly, perhaps.

These days, his serve is pretty piss poor if I'm honest, which just proves how incredible his ground shots are. My question is why the drastic negative shift in quality of his serve? Any reason? Or am I imagining that his serve was once upon a time good.

His return is poor as well, which is a shame because he could honestly be one of the best couple of players in the world if he didn't start every single point handicapped.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Idk but I think he is kicking his 1. serve way too much. His ball toss is always too far to the left. He lost his flat and slice serve.

He is physically very strong and the technique is not bad, he should serve better definitely.

He always had big problems with his 1. serve % and maybe that's the reason why he tried to spin the 1. serve more.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idk but I think he is kicking his 1. serve way too much. His ball toss is always too far to the left. He lost his flat and slice serve.

He is physically very strong and the technique is not bad, he should serve better definitely.
Yes, you're right. I remember Verdasco did a similar thing, serving mostly one season around 210km/h (I've definitely seen Thiem go past that mark), to mostly kicking it in the next. I never understood why he did that.

As for Thiem, well these days he serves mostly around 150-160km/h, and having a season first serve % of 57 is absolutely terrible, if I'm honest.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Yeah, 57% 1. serves when you are not even going for it is def. very bad. I really don't understand it because his 2. serve is actually pretty decent.

He can serve really hard actually. I think he needs to find a better combination of spin and power on his 1. serve. Right now he is kicking it too much. And when he goes for a really hard one occasionally, he is usually missing it.

You are right with Verdasco. He probably did it because he hit too many doubles and to protect his 2. serve in general which always used to be a weakness.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
It's clearly tactical - he's using plenty spin but a very high first serve%. Was up in the 70%s for most of Gstaad.

At Wim vs Verdasco he maxxed at 218kph, averaged 189 (which is on the pacy side). Only 50%fs though.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
I don't think it has declined it was as average last season, if anything he has a bit more control as of late but not much of a weapon (yet).

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
It's clearly tactical - he's using plenty spin but a very high first serve%. Was up in the 70%s for most of Gstaad.

At Wim vs Verdasco he maxxed at 218kph, averaged 189 (which is on the pacy side). Only 50%fs though.
Yes that's obv. the thought behind it but this can't be his long term strategy. Especially if he wants to get better on faster surfaces where he also struggles a lot more from the baseline.

Also you can't just go from serving like this on clay to suddenly flatten out the 1. serve on grass or HC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts