Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't believe this news report when I read it. When did tennis sink to this low? Is this normal on the tennis court? Is this interview for real? Am I too naive about the sport? Is this the first time for Roddick to do this? It seems that he doesn't mind keep on doing it in the future? What has Nishikori done to deserve this?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=356539

Roddick easily beats Japanese teen star Kei Nishikori to reach SAP Open quarterfinals

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- Top-seed Andy Roddick easily defeated Japanese teen star Kei Nishikori 6-2, 6-4 to advance to to the quaterfinals in SAP Open on Thursday.

Roddick needed just 63 minutes to defeat Nishikori, who saw his eight-match ATP win streak snapped by the No. 6 player in the world.

Roddick opened the match by taking a commanding 3-0 lead and breaking Nishikori's serve before the youngester won a game. Roddick, who's won twice at the SAP Open, came back after losing that game to win the next two including breaking the teen's serve again.

In the seventh game of the first set, the Roddick barked at the young player as they exchanged shots at the net. Nishikori held his cool and didn't respond and just walked away.

"I didn't understand a word he said," Nishikori said. But when pressed he acknowledged that he did in fact understand what Roddick had shouted at him but just didn't want to repeat it before the press.

But Roddick had no trouble repeating what he had said. "I told him to stick me with it the next time. I just let him know that he needs to finish it. I had no problem with it. But it was a monologue."

Roddick, who's has stated that he wants to be more aggressive this season proceeded to win the next game to win the first set.

In the second set, Roddick broke Nishikori service in the fourth game but Nishikori came to break Roddick in the next.

In their final game, Nishikori took Roddick to deuce before making two critical errors. He missed an easy slam shot that would have given him the advantage and then saw his saw his volley go wide that gave Roddick the match.

"I made too many easy mistakes," Nishikori said. "I didn't take advantage of the many chances I had. But overall I was happy with the way I played.

Nishikori seemed to defend well against Roddick's overbearing serve. Roddick was able to only land seven aces.

"It was one the best matches I've played in some time," Roddick said. "I was a little tight coming into the match. But I'm very impressed with him."

Roddick wanted to make his presence known to young player by trying to distract him by not using his service as his big weapon and by trying to play between the lines.

"Things were happening for him without him thinking so I wanted him to think about other stuff and not how well he's playing," he said. "There was nothing personal in it. He's probably not that happy with me for doing that. But I don't need any young friends."
:eek:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Re: Why exactly did Roddick did this?

Thank Jimmy Connors for that one. Hopefully Nishikori will stick one right in his forehead next time :p

·
Registered
942 Posts
What a d*ck

Reactions: zethand

·
Registered
39,787 Posts
who gives a shit

let roddick win these mug tournaments, he knows he cant do shit in GS or Master events

american way of life in sports , a lot of talking and nothing behind to back it up

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Roddick and his typical pathetic testosterone on court when he's winning matches over less ranked mugs

funny you dont see that when he's getting his ass kicked by bigger and better players isnt it?

thats the difference with him and Connors, even when Jimmy was getting destroyed by a big gun like Mac, Lendl he'd still at least 'give it out' from start till finish

unlike this frat boy prick

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
**But Roddick had no trouble repeating what he had said. "I told him to stick me with it the next time. I just let him know that he needs to finish it. I had no problem with it. But it was a monologue."

Okay, I'd like to think my English is good, but I didn't understand any of it. "Stick me with it?"

Can anyone translate Roddick for me, I totally don't get it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is competitive tennis - players are bound to get fired up :shrug:

On the other hand, Roddick went one step further by attempting mind games. There's nothing more to expect from a guy who throws personal insults towards umpires and bawls like a child after losing for the 4789235th time to Federer.

And to top it off, Nishikori was the one who behaved professionally despite being 8 years Roddick's junior :tape:

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Okay, I'd like to think my English is good, but I didn't understand any of it. "Stick me with it?"

:yeah: Same thoughts, exactly. :D

Reactions: Corey Feldman

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
OMG!

Hopefully next time Kei plays Andy, Kei whoops him with an embarassing scoreline.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
"Things were happening for him without him thinking so I wanted him to think about other stuff and not how well he's playing," he said. "There was nothing personal in it. He's probably not that happy with me for doing that. But I don't need any young friends."

Has Roddick lost so much confidence that he needs to resort to mind games to beat a player ranked outside 100?

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Andy behaving like a petulant child. Use your game to intimidate not your personality. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
He's not the only player who does that. Intimidation is key. Sounds like a good strategy to me, especially with the serve.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
**But Roddick had no trouble repeating what he had said. "I told him to stick me with it the next time. I just let him know that he needs to finish it. I had no problem with it. But it was a monologue."

Anyone ?

·
Registered
771 Posts
But Roddick had no trouble repeating what he had said. "I told him to stick me with it the next time. I just let him know that he needs to finish it. I had no problem with it. But it was a monologue."
Does anyone know what Roddick was talking about here? It sort of implies that there was an exchange between the two earlier or something. Or maybe he's actually talking about the tennis. It's vague.

In any case, what he did was pretty classless. I was even starting to like Roddick too. :rolleyes: Kei handled it pretty well from what the article said.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts