Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just don't understand why Novak Djokovic doesn't play 250s! Roger, Rafa and Andy play two-three 250s every year which they usually end up winning thus increasing their titles count, whereas Novak has played just two 250s in the last five years - one in 2011 and one this year.

Roger has won 24 250s, Andy 16 and Rafa 9. Novak? Just 6! He could have so easily added 6-7 more titles to his name had he played some 250s in the last five years! Is not vulturing 250s and adding easy titles to your resume something that Novak will one day regret?

What could be the reason behind Novak being such an anti-vulture? Is it because he's too lazy to play 250s? Or is it because he loves spending time with his family & friends and can't be bothered? Or is it because being the #1 player in the world he thinks it would be shameful if he vultures small tournaments which ideally should be won by young and upcoming players?

·
Premium Member
11,787 Posts
Or is it because he loves spending time with his family & friends and can't be bothered?

Probably this.

Also Djokovic also insists on playing big tournaments only. Especially Dubain.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
No.

A player's ability and quality is judged by the number of slams he wins. As always, Nole should win more slams. Experts and critics hardly pay attention to the rest of tennis achievements, and that also includes total number of titles won by the time he hangs up his racquet. It's does not hurt to win non-major titles, but it is not necessary.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I think it's a good decision because he can save his energy for the more important tournaments. He doesn't neet to play any 250s just to increase his total titles count. It's not how many you win, it's what you win.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
He tired himself out for RG from playing so many matches. No sense in adding more.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Not important at all. He needs to focus on only majors, USO and RG in particular.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
No.

A player's ability and quality is judged by the number of slams he wins. As always, Nole should win more slams. Experts and critics hardly pay attention to the rest of tennis achievements, and that also includes total number of titles won by the time he hangs up his racquet. It's does not hurt to win non-major titles, but it is not necessary.
Slams are not everything, but yeah they should be top priority. Being consistent at Masters 1000 events is where Novak gets most of his points so they are also important to keep the #1 ranking.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
He can vulture when he cements his legacy and has nothing left to prove.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Slams are not everything, but yeah they should be top priority. Being consistent at Masters 1000 events is where Novak gets most of his points so they are also important to keep the #1 ranking.
I think slams are everything. For instance, Rafa has 141 weeks at No.1. Lendl had 270 weeks at No.1, Connors 268 weeks, and McEnroe 170 weeks. Who's greater of these 4 players. Rafa, without a doubt. Why? The reason is Rafa has more slams.

Another example. Connors won most number of titles in open era, 109 titles. Federer won 86 titles. Who's greater player of the two? Federer. Why? He won more slams.

Reactions: Fargif

·
Premium Member
21,537 Posts
I think he's trying to prolong his career as much as possible, and focusing only on masters and slams (+ Dubai and Beijing). There's really no need for him to play 250s.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
I think player know very well how good their level of play is and based on that they tend to choose tournaments. Novak is playing brilliantly and does not need to play smaller tournaments. Andy and Federer may have played for RG preparation and Rafa playing to get to WTF and gaining some confidence. Maybe in 2-3 years, if he losing grip on his play he might choose to play a couple of 250s as warm-ups or practice.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
I think slams are everything. For instance, Rafa has 141 weeks at No.1. Lendl had 270 weeks at No.1, Connors 268 weeks, and McEnroe 170 weeks. Who's greater of these 4 players. Rafa, without a doubt. Why? The reason is Rafa has more slams.

Another example. Connors won most number of titles in open era, 109 titles. Federer won 86 titles. Who's greater player of the two? Federer. Why? He won more slams.
Exactly, shame that some No1e fans on here have settled for the "overall dominance" award and are severely underrating what he is capable of.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I'm just looking at the whole picture and a balanced resume always looks good. Don't get me wrong, slams are very important and the more the better :).

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
You take away those 250s, and Roger and Rafa are just about 10-15 tournament wins ahead of Novak, which just shows the massive work Novak has done in the big tournaments to cement his name in the history of tennis. Surely he has a few more years left in him, so we'll see where he ends up. But he can focus on the smaller tournaments in the decline of his career, not now. And certainly not for vulturing. Who cares about the total tournament wins count, since they're all different tiers. GSs, Masters, WTF and #1 position is where his legendary status awaits him.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Rafa is more of a bald eagle than a vulture anyway

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
He's already done that.
Really, you're happy with him being 1-4 USO and 0-w/e RG? You're telling me that if Djokovic retired tomorrow you'd be happy because he has nothing left to prove...

Sure its a HUGE accomplishment to win Wimbledon, let alone 3 of them, but lets not be prisoners of the moment. Fact is that he has underachieved for his talents, if you're a real No1e fan I don't think you'd disagree.

He should already be better or at least tied with Nadal legacy wise if it wasn't for him mentally folding on the biggest stage.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
WOW, Murray has 16 250 titles? Never thought it was that much. Not sure but that probably makes up half his titles counts.

To answer OP, hell no. Why does Novak need to vulture when he's winning slams and Masters 100? Those are the tournament that truly matter, quality over quantity. When it's all said and done I'm pretty confident that he will be in top 3 in both Slams and masters 1000 titles.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts