Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't Nadal ... take IT easy on himself ? (sorry please can someone fix the title for me ...and add the IT , thanx).

Here's something that boggles the mind ...

It occurred to me, after Nadal made that early 2nd round exit at Rotterdam, that perhaps he should ease up a little.

I mean I'll give FEDEX credit there, he takes his breaks, both FEDEX and NADAL made semis at the AUSSIE, I don't see FEDEX playing now.

Also, with the clay season beckoning soon enough, would he not do wise to take some breaks here and there ... especially given his physical game. I think his game could suffer, his knees already are ...

Tell me what you think people. :confused:

·
Vault Hunter
6,521 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Nadal ... take easy on himself ?

What I think is he has to take a break from tennis.

Go climb Everest, dive The Mariana Trench, visit Tibet, live with the Dogons for 12 days. And when he comes back hopefully refreshed, problems sorted out, priorities gotten right then he can pick up his racquet again. If he wants to make a run for #1 position or at least hold the current one, he has to understand that he must concentrate on his tennis and not on Real Madrid progress.

:mad:

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts

Issues like this one have been discussed intensily at Rafa's own forum. You might consider checking out a few threads over there...

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Nadal is different to Federer in that if he doesn't play for a long period of time he usually plays really badly, and is vulnerable. However Federer is heading this way soon enough.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nadal is 5 years younger. His body should recover faster.
except that his game takes much more of a toll on his body. Rafa plays runnning around 20 ft behind the baseline,long points,long matches, and more tourneys.

Plus, being 5 yrs older than a 21 yr. old doesn't put you out of peak physical condition.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
except that his game takes much more of a toll on his body. Rafa plays runnning around 20 ft behind the baseline,long points,long matches, and more tourneys.

Plus, being 5 yrs older than a 21 yr. old doesn't put you out of peak physical condition.
Nadal had a sufficent rest after the AO. He's played only 2 tournaments since Nov. Is it a lot for a 21 yo player? If he needs as much rest as someone who's 26, what's going to happen in 3-5 years?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nadal had a sufficent rest after the AO. He's played only 2 tournaments since Nov. Is it a lot for a 21 yo player? If he needs as much rest as someone who's 26, what's going to happen in 3-5 years?
i was talking about Rafa more in general, not recent months.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I don't understand what the problem is if he plays a small tournament and loses early. Ok he lost it in the second round. But he got into the competitive frame of mind which is enough for moving to the next big tournament.

Reactions: acionescu

·
Registered
56,000 Posts
I don't understand what the problem is if he plays a small tournament and loses early. Ok he lost it in the second round. But he got into the competitive frame of mind which is enough for moving to the next big tournament.
I like this so much! Can I make it in my signature? If you agree do you know how is done? :kiss:

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I like this so much! Can I make it in my signature? If you agree do you know how is done? :kiss:
I first thought you were being sarcastic:lol: Then I checked my rep:hug: I don't mind if you put in your sig but I think people are going to laugh at me:). I don't know how it is done though:D

·
Registered
56,000 Posts
I first thought you were being sarcastic:lol: Then I checked my rep:hug: I don't mind if you put in your sig but I think people are going to laugh at me:). I don't know how it is done though:D
If it was somebody else maybe I would have been. But you are too sweet. And I think deep, deep inside of me, my unconscious thinks the same way :shrug:

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
If it was somebody else maybe I would have been. But you are too sweet. And I think deep, deep inside of me, my unconscious thinks the same way :shrug:
:hug: I think its in my nature to be happy most of the time:lol:. So even if I feel disappointed it doesn't last for long. I guess its the same with you:):wavey:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I could not agree more, it already HAS TAKEN A TOLL; his knees for example. And FEDEX has a far more efficient game than NADAL does. So I am not just saying it because of ROTTERDAM, it's been going on for a while.

I think he should go to the CLAY season as fit as he can be, that's where most of his points will be, and that will be sooner around the corner than you think.

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
because as Uncle Toni would say: "we don't do 'taking it easy on ourselves'" :p

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
IF Nadal ever wants a sniff at the world's #1 ranking, he needs to whore himself as much as his body is willing to in non-clay events. He already plays pretty much every possible week during the clay court season and gains close to 100% of the possible points one can duirng said season. Once he steps off of the clay, he isn't anywhere as good as he is on it (i.e. not winning everything in sight), whereas Federer wins everything and ends up losing to Rafa in clay court finals amassing a shitload of points.

This has been the closest Nadal has gotten to Federer, and with ROger not defending his AO title and Rafa finally making the SF of a hardcourt Slam, he's liking his chances right now at possibly doing something with that top rank.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yeah, the loss to Seppi is his worst loss in quite a while. His recent losses on hardcourts were not to journeyman. He is winning more matches consistently on hardcourts (less the one to Seppi) and that's why some losses have been lopsided. He's getting to deeper matches and meeting better opposition there, so give him some time. His last 7 losses on hardcourts (prior to Seppi):

Tsonga at the AO

Youhzny at Chennai

Federer at the Masters

Nalbandian at Paris and Madrid

Ferrer at the USO

Djokovic in Montreal

These losses were all to quality opponents that he would be picked to lose to on hardcourts, so he hasn't broken through yet, but he's not declining either. He's clearly not the best on hard courts, but an argument can be made that he's top 5 there. He's top 2 on grass and number 1 by a country mile on clay, so if he can sneak deep into a hardcourt slam, #1 is very reachable.

I agree that he had a long enough rest after the Aussie, and that if he wants #1 he will have to continue "whoring" himself out to every tournament in sight--at least until he snags Wimbledon or a hardcourt slam...

·
Registered
17,115 Posts

What I think is he has to take a break from tennis.

Go climb Everest, dive The Mariana Trench, visit Tibet,
Put his head in the clouds, face some pressure, and plateau?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
You can't win every match. Rafael knows that hard/indoors is not his best surface. He excels on clay and like every year since 2005, he will exceed on the claycourt season.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts