Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't it unfair for someone to have a full extra day of rest going into the finals???

Shouldn't they play one women's semi in the day and one women's semi at night on the Thursday...

and play one men's semi in the day and the one men's semi at night on the Friday???

Does anyone else thinking the same???

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Good question. No idea why besides tradition

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Awww, poor players.
But, then again, Gymnastovic played 5 hrs against Muzza on Friday only to play 6 hrs on Sunday defeating Nadal.
It can be done.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
I have no idea why they don't schedule both SFs same day. Play no match on Thursday in men's side and schedule both (let's say) Wawrinka-Nadal and Federer-Djokovic same day, Friday. What makes this hard for AO, can anybody speculate?

Every year one player gets disadvantaged, be it Rafa be it Stan or Zverev or Thiem, it needs reform

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
This is dicussed every year again. The results show no advantage for the player with one more rest day.
In fact, I think the results show a slight advantage to the player who doesn't have the extra day?

Yes, I agree it's unfair. But if you're playing the different halves of the draw on alternate days, at some point there comes a time where they have to play on the same day. Wimbledon does it rather earlier than the AO, but I suppose that's because of its rest day on the middle Sunday. I don't like it not being until the final, especially when I can see that both ladies' SFs are scheduled one after the other. But possibly it's difficult to schedule two BO5 matches back to back?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
In fact, I think the results show a slight advantage to the player who doesn't have the extra day?

Yes, I agree it's unfair. But if you're playing the different halves of the draw on alternate days, at some point there comes a time where they have to play on the same day. Wimbledon does it rather earlier than the AO, but I suppose that's because of its rest day on the middle Sunday. I don't like it not being until the final, especially when I can see that both ladies' SFs are scheduled one after the other. But possibly it's difficult to schedule two BO5 matches back to back?
maybe because it disturbs the play/rest rythm that the player got used to

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Awww, poor players.
But, then again, Gymnastovic played 5 hrs against Muzza on Friday only to play 6 hrs on Sunday defeating Nadal.
It can be done.
Lmao, Djokovic overcome it once and is in no position to have to do it again, so lets fck logic and stay DJOKO-minded and be against advancement of the sport

i didn't consider you this dumb

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
This is dicussed every year again. The results show no advantage for the player with one more rest day.
of course it does.

when you actually look at specific cases of equal spent SF play time, it becomes very obvious.

when you blindly read off results without considering walkovers, retirements(2018) or easy semifinal beatdowns(2019, etc.) it doesnt.

it should be painfully obvious to every thinking person that if both finalists have had a tough semi and are an even match for the final, the guy with 2 days off has a huge edge, especially if their match goes 4-5 sets.

but no, lets look at simplistic data which might deter from the problem so we have one less issue to think and take care of, and fck everyone else that might get bent by this system in the future.

makes my blood boil, people like you. society will never progress.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Yes it's unfair but then AO would argue they still give both finalists at least 48 hours rest compared to FO this year that didn't and Wimbledon in the past has had at least one semi on a Saturday (and even the Sunday). Add in US which only stopped "Super Saturday" a few years ago.

Really both should on Friday.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
It's actually pretty hard to determine if it's an advantage or not. You need far more data points than we have available.
If having an extra day increases your odds of winning by 10%, that's huge but we wouldn't necessarily detect it with the info we have, given random variation.

My take is it would be fairer to give all players more equal resting time, but we have to acknowledge tennis is generally a sport where conditions are never 100% fair at any given tournament - however, they are fair to players in the long run, as generally speaking they're likely to have close to "average luck" over their careers, so maybe it's not such a problem.

·
24,301 Posts
I mean even if they did change sched, one player will still get a 2 days rest regardless, just in a different round -- having alternating halves be in different days and needing a single day for them to be in the Final always makes it that one has a day's advantage.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
It is against the concept of equality and fairness. The players should be provided with "equal" conditions or "close to equal" conditions. In this case, one player gets twice the amount of rest than the other just ahead of the big final.

Unfair, by the look of it. However, the sport is business and about making money, and players are fine with it and willing to accommodate it to please the event administration.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I think the organisers want the players to have similar playing conditions by playing in the evening.Having both semis in a day would mean one day match and one night match.
And on a day like today playing maybe 4 or 5 hours at 40 degrees would be crazy.And that would be a bigger disadvantage then maybe 1 day less of rest.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It is against the concept of equality and fairness. The players should be provided with "equal" conditions or "close to equal" conditions. In this case, one player gets twice the amount of rest than the other just ahead of the big final.

Unfair, by the look of it. However, the sport is business and about making money, and players are fine with it and willing to accommodate it to please the event administration.
Of course they are ok with it. If someone paid me 4million to play tennis I would play barefoot on broken glass and say thank you. Daytime too.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Wimbledom has always been the fairest in this sense . All play the same day from the 2 nd Week onwards. Why can't all copy that . I know, business right ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts