Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it appearance fees?

Coria is the second seed in Delray beach - he would have been seeded 8th if he had played Scotsdale.

So why do so many higher ranked players opt for one of the other? Are the conditions much better in Scotsdale? Is it closer to Indian Wells?

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
That's a really good question. I was thinking that myself. They are both International Series events. One would think Scottsdale be qualified as Series Gold when compared to Delray Beach.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Does the winner of Scottsdale get the same amount of points as the winner of Delray then? I think Scottsdale should be added to the ISG since its about as strong as one.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, they winners get the same amount of prize money, and the same number of points. Although I'm not a fan of quality points, when you look at the gap here, I can definately see what purpose they serve.

I wasn't asking as an attempt to slam Roddick, although that does make for a fair subtopic. Somebody suggested in another thread, that he plays Delray Beach because they always gave him Wild Cards when he was lower ranked, and it's in his home state.

Regardless, I would have to think that if it isn't closer to Indian Wells, that Scotsdale must serve up some pretty fat appearance fees...

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
As a side-topic, it seems a little inefficient to schedule Delray Beach the week before Indian Wells, so that players who compete there then have to fly all the way across America to get to IW, then the very next week have to fly right the way back to Florida to compete in the Miami TMS, which must only be quite a short distance away from Delray. It would make more sense to hold the Miami event first, but of course Indian Wells is a mixed tournament so you'd have to rework the WTA calendar as well as the ATP one....

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Well, your geography's just a little awry, Nimi - it's in California, in other words on the other side of the country.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I don't know why i thought it was in Florida :confused:
Oh well.

Just an interesting figure- the last direct acceptence in Delaray Beach is Morrison, ranked 99, & the last direct acceptence in Scottsdale is Mamiit, ranked 101.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Which shows that the two tournaments have attracted roughly the same breadth of players, but that Scottsdale has drawn a higher concentration of top-ranked players, ie Top 20/30. I wonder if not only the convenient positioning but the conditions in Scottsdale have something to do with its appeal - thinner desert air, a higher bounce, equalling more favourable playing conditions for most of the top men including Agassi and the South Americans? Just a thought.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Rebecca said:

I wasn't asking as an attempt to slam Roddick, although that does make for a fair subtopic. Somebody suggested in another thread, that he plays Delray Beach because they always gave him Wild Cards when he was lower ranked, and it's in his home state.
soon you'll learn that there's no point of arguing with that person,cause that person is very inconsistent in her views ;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Riley Finn said:
soon you'll learn that there's no point of arguing with that person,cause that person is very inconsistent in her views ;)
Could that person be Dina? LMAO!

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an interesting figure- the last direct acceptence in Delaray Beach is Morrison, ranked 99, & the last direct acceptence in Scottsdale is Mamiit, ranked 101.
Thanks for checking that out. It's interesting, but I would still say that Scotsdale has a much more elite field. They have 3 top ten players, and the lowest seeded player is Malisse. The gap between the top 2 seeds in Scotsdale is ONE ranking place, as opposed to about 20 in Delray Beach.

The field below the top several might be equal in theory, but even the lower ranked dangerous floaters seem to have been drawn to Scotsdale... Mark P, Dent, Bjorkman, Enqvist, Ferreira... not to suggest that Delray Beach doesn't have any decent players, but really... it's no contest.

Of course geographically it makes far more sense to play Scotsdale, as it's been pointed out. The players who have just played Mexico, are more likely to want to just head north a bit then fly across the continent. Furthermore, I would assume that Scotsdale, being in the desert and all, has conditions closest to Indian Wells.

So I suppose that answers my question.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts