Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every other Slam starts on a Monday and ends on a Sunday, but RG is the only slam starting on a Sunday and ending on a Sunday. Is there any particular reason?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not sure, really. At first, I thought it could be because of week start thing, but it is not.

Then, could be some other tradition or simply because it is usually a day off and people can come to the opening day.

·
12,389 Posts
Every other Slam starts on a Monday and ends on a Sunday, but RG is the only slam starting on a Sunday and ending on a Sunday. Is there any particular reason?
AO starts sunday night unless you are aussie :)

·
Your visions will happen
50,835 Posts

·
24,062 Posts
They don't have a Queen.
US doesn't have one and yet they start on Monday. :p

I think it's more to do with RG having fewer courts than the other Slams hence why they have to divide 128 matches to 3 -- 43 average vs. 64 average seems pretty significant.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
It s recent - no more than 10 years ago so it is a recent trend.

2 main reasons from what I record :
more money
easier to make visitors come on Sunday and promote with children

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
To screw up the MTF Tennis Tipping schedule, and leave fewer matches in days 1-3 so people lose more at suicide tennis

In reality I'd say it's some combination of more money, more fans can attend R1 on the initial Sunday, and it avoids them using 16 courts if they even have that many match courts as they can make due with 13 or so courts for round 1 over 3 days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts